Sustainable MTB trail use and dirt bikes

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
This happens all over the country, I'm sure.

The local trails have been attracting some dirt bike riders, who have subsequently damaged the area including part of the adjacent NPWS managed land. This has led to some negative vibes being aimed at mountain bike riding in the area, and renewed talk of policing the MTB trails. I have sent the following letter to NPWS Illawarra, and encourage those who are literate within the Farkin community to follow suit if so inclined. I was asked to send a letter by NPWS staff following a fruitful discussion on the matter. We MTB riders need to contrast our sustainable activities against the destructive nature of dirt bike riding in the area. I'm certainly not anti-dirt bikes, they, as do MTB's, have a place, and need to be used sensibly.

Send correspondance to illawarra@environment.nsw.gov.au

Dear Madam/Sir,

I have recently spoken to NWPS regarding the use of motorcycles on the Illawarra Escarpment within the SRA and the significant damage this activity has inflicted on the escarpment behind Thirroul. I seek to draw a distinction between the damage caused by motorcycle use on natural areas and how this is in contrast to the sustainable practice of bicycle use.

I am an active mountain bike rider who relishes the opportunity to get into the bush as well as having a great deal of fun. I have been riding on the Illawarra Escarpment for over 15 years. As a biologist myself, I am aware that there are perceptions of mountain biking as an activity which may cause environmental damage to the Illawarra Escarpment, often with parallels to the damage caused by motorcycle use. I am writing simply to seek recognition of the sustainability of mountain bike riding on the Illawarra Escarpment in contrast to the destructive nature of motorcycle riding.

I wish to advocate mountain bike trail maintenance and community participation to benefit the mountain bike riders of the area, as the popularity of riding bicycles on the escarpment has increased hugely, and will continue to grow, with benefits to the economy through tourism and local business. Please consider the sustainable nature of well-maintained trails for mountain biking when making policy decisions.

Yours Faithfully,

Last edited:

placebo

Likes Dirt
Do you mean the damage before the Gibson walking track, at the old Scout camp area above the DH track? I rode my XC bike up there on Sunday and couldn't believe it. I'm surprised none of the local residents called the police, it would've taken a fair bit of riding to cut that track into the grass. The jumps have been built by digging waist deep pits straight into the ground between the ramps, so when it rains heavily they will all collapse into themselves.

Will this be enough provocation for the NPWS to shut down Thirroul? Possibly. I've read a letter to the editor in the "Illawarra Mercury" complaining about the behaviour and littering by MTB riders up there. Some of the people going there haven't been doing anyone any favours. It didn't take much more than this for the NPWS to crack down at Bulli a few years ago.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Yes. What did the letter to the Editor of the Mercury say? Although the land below Foothills Road is not NPWS managed, they want to aid landowners in the closure of the trails due to, firstly because of the motorcycle use of the area and secondly because of the amount of rubbish left along the trail, clearly from DH riders (it accumulates each weekend of heavy MTB use).

There is a theme of grouping the damage from dirt bike use together with MTB use, and I wanted to do my bit to stand up for the sustainable, low-impact nature of DH riding on properly managed trails.