Sustainable trails and Mountain Biking

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Attached is a presentation I've been developing over the last year with the view of trying to make it punchier yet still informative.

I'd like to share it as a potential resource for other advocates in other areas that are dealing with Land Managers, Councillors or other political leaders that have not previously been exposed to Mountain Bike Advocates or Mountain Biking.

Before it gets there though ... I'd like to get some critical feedback on both the message and the content so I can think about changes.

In particular, I don't really like the introduction ... but I've changed it so many times I've had jack of it.

Anyway ... I'd appreciate your comments.

I am also happy to email the original powerpoint preso to any advocates that might want to use it ... sans BMORC logos etc.

Thanks
Al

Attachments

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a quick look through it. Congratulations on great idea. I agree with your hunch about the beginning.

My impression was that was no introduction. It sort of just jumps into facts and statements. As this is a document/presentation aimed at people we are trying to convince that MTB's are a good idea and not an environmentally damaging sport, I would suggest a short paragraph to try and explain the philosophy of our sport.

My bike allows me to get out and enjoy our beautiful environment. It has taken me to places that would never have been possible. Have a look at some of Digital Hippys posts in Latest AM Adventures, to understand what I am talking about.

This is the message we need to portray. We are not environmental vandals, we build sustainable trails to allow us access to these incredible areas. Then hit them with the facts and techniques needed to achieve these things.

Hope that helps.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
G'Day Al,

Apologies up front if this starts to sound like me telling you how to suck eggs. Certainly not what I am about, but sometimes lost in translation

I'm also assuming this is an audience presentation that yourself or someone else will be talking to, not just for the audience to read

I started typing a big-long answer, but would rather show you what I mean by modifying and returning the presentation.

Please let me know if this suits what you are after before I begin

You can also PM me if that is preferable

Regards

Roland

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
cheers fellas ... both on the money so far.

More feedback the better it gets so all good.

Picture the audience to be haters ...

mangool

Likes Bikes
i think there are a few things missing that are holding it back from being pretty good! just my 2 cents..

firstly i think you should add a proper introduction/mission statement in order to outline exactly what it is you're about to talk about and why. Don't use dot points for this, rather, just form a succinct paragraph.

same goes for a conclusion, reiterate the points you've made..

lastly, add some contextuality such as why riding is good, beneficial, etc

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It looks pretty good Al. I'm quite happy for you to ignore any or all of my comments, but here goes...

I guess I'd start with a nice picture of a recreational mtber riding some non-technical singletrack. No downhiller in a full face helmet that can be confused with a trail bike at first glance, as is typically used in newspaper articles.

In the last point on page 2 I'd try to include a point about enjoying the environment. Or 'For riders, the trail and surrounding environment is more important than the destination'.

The point on page 3 "harden the trail tread in high use areas" I'd try to remove the word 'harden'. Maybe 'reduce wear in high traffic areas using natural/indigenous materials'?

On page 5 in the win/win point, include walker/hikers after riders to encourage the use of IMBA guidelines in all singletrack situations, where appropriate. Again, remove 'harden'.

Page 9 - first point, typo 'erode'.
- remove 'water bars' and just use 'grade reversals'

Page 10 - If you could get a picture of some of the sections of the Coast Track where the track has eroded to the point of walking through 1.5m deep trenches could also highlight the importance of proper trail design to walkers. The description of the 'Eroded Fire Trail' image doesn't read very easily.

Page 11 - I'd use 'reinforce' instead of 'harden'in point 1.

Figure 5 could look a little hardcore to the intended audience. Maybe replace the image with a tamer looking section of track that has been rock armoured.

There are a few excess capital letters in there too.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Tough to write a presentation without a specific audience in mind. I feel that presentations need to be targetted specifically at the local context. The start is still weak with some clunky arguements. I always try to justify mountain bike riding in and of it's own right without referring to other users negatively.

"Riders seek twisting trails that both ascend and descend,
◦ Walkers like straight trails point A to B
◦Motorcycles make straight trails with sharp turns, tend to ascend more then descend
◦4WDs make straight wide trails or muddy bog holes"

Stereo types are not a great idea. There are responsible moto and 4wd'ers that practice tread lightly just as there those who do not, same for all users really. As a walker I don't like straight a-b trails I enjoy the experience. There are destination users like fishermen or climbers do like 'efficient' trails .

I have made the point that all recreational users have bad users that can be portrayed as being representative when they are not. I like to mention the image of mountain bike riding does not reflect the reality, I refer to what images you see of cars, V8 super cars, world rally, F1 etc none of which reflect the reality of sitting in traffic on my daily commute. A minority of bad users does not preclude walking trails why should it for mountain bikers?

"For Riders, the trail is more important then the destination.
◦The Character of the trail is more important
◦The Location of the trail is more important
◦Straight trails in barren landscape are uninteresting"

Riders like a varierty of opportunities in a variety of landscape settings in the same way that there are a variety of recreational opportunities available to pedestrians, cyclists wouls like equitalble provision of facilities. Currently there is a very limited supply of legal riding opportunities, with growing demand for places to ride will result in users find what opportunities they can legal or otherwise.

I have a number of presentations I can email you if like.

Intro ideas

I love the message and the best of luck making it hit home. If I were you, I would start with some evocative video clips, images, or creative writing that really helps to illustrate the beauty and flow in natural settings that biking can bring. This will help to grab everyone's interest and attention, while also helping to establish the deep connection that biking and trails have with the environment. Maybe a family shot or two with junior riding something for the first time and the like. The presentation is looking good!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Pretty good Al, especially with some of the comments people have made.

I'd suggest really reinforcing what the land managers get out of encouraging MTB on their land. I know from a Parks perspective that the organisation is increasingly strapped for cash and provision of MTB facilities is something on the bottom of some very long lists of things to do with very few staff or dollars to do it with. But having said that the message from higher management is that activities and programs that increase visitation at Parks have a good chance of being funded so by emphasising MTB riders as potential sources of visits and revenue (sad to say but true for national parks) this can assist with showing managers why they should move to encourage MTB in areas.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
cheers fellas ... both on the money so far.

More feedback the better it gets so all good.

Picture the audience to be haters ...
I reckon the previous comments about your presentation cover most everything - in my experience in dealing with any government, we need to avoid the usage of potentially questionable terms/phrases because these are taken literally on face value.

I like it; short and concise, which is just what people will be inclined to read, particularly suitable for those bureaucrats! Nice work.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Well, my post will pretty much be the same as the some of the posts above...

- Again, try to justify as to why mountain biking as a whole is a great sport - why we do it (enjoyment, fitness, getting some fresh air, to get outside, etc), and how (hence you've pretty much already done the 'how' part) to just simply turn the audience's view around - assuming that they are haters haha.

- Try not to use stereotyping and comparison as mentioned earlier, as I think this is just simply trying to put down the other sports, showcasing our sport as being somewhat superior and 'above all the others'. It just doesn't cut it for me.

- Oh and yeah, as stated above, I think you should write a decent paragraph for the introduction and conclusion rather than dot points.

Sorry if this is somewhat a useless post... But you've done great job on the presentation so far! :clap2: