Swearword filter

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Makes me sound like an old fogey, but I think a swearword filter such as on other forums, where swear words are automatically detected and turned into **** would be great for farkin. Would give the joint a little more class. I've always been surprised that the administrators haven't installed one.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
**** that.... that is just so ****ed, that anyone who ****ing well suggests that farkin gets censored.... can get ****ed, bt getting ***** by a big hairy biker with ******* on his ********, and a bucket of foamy ****

Cant we just ban old ppl..... of course, all older than me....

LOL

DirtRida_94

Likes Dirt
Makes me sound like an old fogey, but I think a swearword filter such as on other forums, where swear words are automatically detected and turned into **** would be great for farkin. Would give the joint a little more class. I've always been surprised that the administrators haven't installed one.
But yet loook at your sig......

udi

swiss cheese
Yeah that's a real classy sig you've got there, Gruntled. :)

Seriously, let's skip the filtering... save it for mtbr/rm/mtbskirt.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Sorted. I am the epitome of class now. I reckon a modicum of profanity is fine, there is just a lot of c@nt-edness, so to speak, liberally smattered throughout the forums without consdiering the children.
children.jpg

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Yeah, the C word has no place here (well at least since a certain prime minister was voted out last year). The Farkin regulations are pretty clear on swearing, idiots spraying bad language around for the sake of it should be reported, and often are. Sometimes strong language is warranted for emphasis and effect. It's like the loaded gun you don't want to use, but sometimes there is just no other way:D.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eeewww, how dare you bring this thread in to disrepute.

Filters are annoying, it just makes people write things like $h!t and the like which is even worse than reading swear words.

p2321

Squid
I see where you're coming from, but they tend not to be very helpful. The one on our (university residential) college forum had terrible trouble with Andy Will****s' surname, and events where the dress code was ****tail, but didn't censor several other popular curses (which I am too classy, and too much of a lady, to repeat).

Yes, we tested it. Extensively.

People will get around it anyway. Ideally, people could learn some self-control, respect for themselves and others, and maybe some grown-up ways of expressing themselves, but I know better than to expect miracles.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A swear filter won't hurt anyone, and might improve the breed a bit.
But another forum I'm in has it, and it draws more attention to the deleted word.
Aside: One bloke couldn't post his surname 'Hiscock' (like 'cocktail' above), but apart from the odd-one like that, it worked just fine.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it draws more attention to the deleted word
Exactly. What's more offensive, seeing four letters together on a screen or the actual context of its use? Censoring does nothing to improve communication, it just makes post formatting a mess.

Besides, the best insults are creative ones that don't fall back on single words.

jailbait

Likes Bikes
The only way to keep the swear words, insults and poor language skills is to give everyone an interview before letting them have access.

I think swear words should stay, like someone said they can be useful for expressing emotion and getting the point across, but we just need to warn/ban the people who don't know the right time to use them.

Maybe have a word filter applied all new accounts until they've proven they're responsible enough to have it turned of? :)

dj kid

Likes Bikes
i dont think we need one, anyone that signs up onto a site called "farkin" should get that we can swear =)

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trying to tell a bunch of mtb'ers to stop swearing would be a hard task,
on ilmtb.com forum's there is a swear filter, works pretty well. They replace fuck with *f-bomb* etc..