Sydney Spring Fat Tyre Festival 2009

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Does anyone have a course length, I might go back and try to fix the average speeds at some point.

Mark Jenkins

Likes Bikes
One of the best tracks

Even with the heat... the track and race at Ourimbah has to be one of the best organised in the state, the variety of terrain from smashing no brake down hill sections to flowing trails through the forest makes this a must race event... lock it in early for next year..

Race.. to the conditions.. or just enjoy a fantastic track at your own pace

Also heaps of give aways and beer at the end..

great day, great event.. thanks and see ya next year

Cheers

Mark

tjb

Likes Dirt
Chops and co flying with 14 laps .... ahead of Gordo! First two laps in the 25 mins shows what results from local stomping knowledge!

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Chops and co flying with 14 laps .... ahead of Gordo! First two laps in the 25 mins shows what results from local stomping knowledge!
THEY JUST KNOW ALL THE SHORTCUTS........;):D

25min laps is serious stomping. way to go young B-rad & B-rok.
Top effort by all in those conditions.

Buck

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have a course length, I might go back and try to fix the average speeds at some point.
According to my computer it was bang on 10km. I think the Garmin's usually understate the distance due to all the tight corners.

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
Did anyone see the two guys on black downhill bikes, with full body skins on with body armour? They would have been baking!

spikenet

Likes Dirt
a clear track with no traffic helps to :)

Awesome job by the coasties who finished 2nd in the male pairs, they caught the KOM boys napping on the final lap ;)

abevern

Likes Dirt
Course Length

Garmin varied between 9.10 and 9.11 km :D
My trip meter read between 10.2 and 10.3km on each of my four laps. I would put more faith in a well calibrated bike computer than I would in a GPS-read distance when we're talking snaking track and heavy tree cover. By their nature a GPS tends to straightline between data points, so will typically under-read on a track like Ourimbah.

That said, I'm not claiming my trip meter is accurately calibrated - maybe a few other people have "as rolled" distances to contribute. (if it really matters)

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did anyone see the two guys on black downhill bikes, with full body skins on with body armour? They would have been baking!
Yes, they were ... interesting. They weren't there to race, and are apparently spotted around Manly Dam from time to time.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One dude had tri spoke type wheels .... and extreme heat tolerance!
Weirder than that - some kind of spoked wheel (possibly carbon) hanging off a set of Super Monsters. For those joining us late, that's a 12" travel fork.

Apparently they they aren't taking the piss either. I think the 'roids have gotten to their brains.

FreddyKruger

Likes Bikes
The heat certainly added a new dimension to managing ones endurance. At one point, like many others, I didn’t think I could make it to the end. Winding back the intensity and the change to 6 hours saved the day. In the end we walked away with our first ever podium position (after the heat knocked out our opposition).

It turned out to be a good day after all, EXECPT for (rant) the guy with the singlet and the tats who was hanging out with Rockstar Racing, who intentionally did a slide in front of our camp and covered us in dust. I don’t care who your friends are or even if your best mates with Gordo, you’re a dickhead. We don’t need people like you at our races. Next time think twice before you bring Rockstar racing into disrepute. (end rant)

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Yeah garmins do understate distance on twisty courses.

And OK then...maybe it was a little hotter than I thought on the course yesterday. I stand corrected.

But considering that at 1pm yesterday it hadn't yet hit 40 deg anywhere in the Hunter region, i don't think it was 43 deg in transition. Interestingly, the only places in the Hunter to see 41 deg yesterday were Tocal and Jerrys Plains. And the state's max was 43 deg at Walgett.

It was at about 3pm (race end) that the Hunter maxed out. Gosford was nearly at 40. Newcastle and Williamtown were just over 40, and Jerrys Plains 41.4 deg.

Still, I sure was glad to call it a day early. The back and wrists were only just holding out, and another 3 laps would've really hurt.

Captain Kirk

Likes Bikes
My trip meter read between 10.2 and 10.3km on each of my four laps. I would put more faith in a well calibrated bike computer than I would in a GPS-read distance when we're talking snaking track and heavy tree cover. By their nature a GPS tends to straightline between data points, so will typically under-read on a track like Ourimbah.

That said, I'm not claiming my trip meter is accurately calibrated - maybe a few other people have "as rolled" distances to contribute. (if it really matters)
Never assume.....

The Garmin was using bike sensors

LCG

Likes Bikes
10.1 km on my polar s725. I consider it accuartely calibrated. 32 degrees at 10 when I started it 43 degrees maximum averaged 37 degreesfor my day of fun in the sun. Regardless spring is never meant to be as hot as it was yesterday but I guess we do live in Australia a country that is predominately desert that's why we are so much tougher than poms candians and kiwis

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know who the group were taking photos on the day? There were a few pics taken throughout the race, should be some good ones in there