Sydneys s*** roads

Weasel

Likes Dirt
Is it me or does the RTA have a major issue with the upkeep of roads and the saftey of the vehicles that use it...

Its 8:05am on saturday... im sitting here not feeling to happy and my Ducati is in pieces because i binned it.

Ok before you all giggle I must point out that I was a victim of unfairness!
All of you have at least once in your life encountered a greese trap truck... well i encountered where one had been and spilled part of its contence all through a corner.
Now im banged up and my bike is ready for a box.

Any of you that have had similar incedences on NSW wales roads feel free to rant and complain.

well in the area i live camden which is about an hours drive from syd i do this drive 4 times a week to go to school and the road going past oran park (nerellan road )is the bigest shit hole of a road. Enduro motocross tracks are smoother im temted to wear my kidney belt
but its not just this strech the whole area

Knight

Likes Dirt
I concur. Sydney has bad roads and some crazy drivers. You should see what happens on the roads around my school in Parramatta. The RTA is more interested in keeping Canberra roads (how smooth are they) in good condition so the politicians don't get sore a$$es.

demo man

Used to be cool.
I concur. Sydney has bad roads and some crazy drivers. You should see what happens on the roads around my school in Parramatta. The RTA is more interested in keeping Canberra roads (how smooth are they) in good condition so the politicians don't get sore a$$es.
Ahh, sorry, but what?

Local roads are funded by the state, not the commonwealth.

That means that the money for NSW roads comes from the NSW govt. - and the funds for ACT roads comes from the ACT govt. - so there is no connection betwene the two you fool. It all boils down to who you lot have in parliament.

the RTA has absolutely nothing to do with ACT anything.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The RTA has no interest in maintaining Canberra's roads, them being in the ACT and all, not NSW.
In fact the RTA doesn't have direct responsibilty for maintenace of most of the roads in NSW this is the job of you friendly local council.

nacuot

Banned
Australia (paticularly NSW I think) has a bit of a reputation of having crappy roads, especially when compared to European countries like Germany (where I've heard the roads are very nice and smooth).
However, we must remember that Australia is huge, much bigger than Germany, France etc. So to build ultimate quality roads all across Australia would cost a lot more than it would to the same in other smaller countries.

However, Weasel, I strongly agree with you in that the RTA (edit: or the council or whatever) should at least try and maintain the roads better (and the pathways!). There is one massive pothole in the road about two streets away form me which has been there for well over two years.

And then I could start going on about cityrail...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Ahh, sorry, but what?

Local roads are funded by the state, not the commonwealth.

That means that the money for NSW roads comes from the NSW govt. - and the funds for ACT roads comes from the ACT govt. - so there is no connection betwene the two you fool. It all boils down to who you lot have in parliament.

the RTA has absolutely nothing to do with ACT anything.
Well sorry to disappoint you Sam but NSW gets the smallest piece of the Commonwealth pie compared to what the Commonwealth gets from NSW. So in an indirect way we subsidise the ACT's roads. :)

I actually cracked a $500 mag once on a massive pothole in wet weather due to a local council's poor upkeep of their roads. They would not take responsibility for it but I hate the condition of NSW's roads. Then again there is the next council area to us, their roads are shit and yet they are spending hundreds of thousands on beautifying their main street. This beautification is the reason for another denting of a rear mag. God I hate Councils.

Last edited:

Knight

Likes Dirt
Well sorry to disappoint you Sam but NSW gets the smallest piece of the Commonwealth pie compared to what the Commonwealth gets from NSW. So in an indirect way we subsidise the ACT's roads. :)

I actually cracked a $500 mag once on a massive pothole in wet weather due to a local council's poor upkeep of their roads. They would not take responsibility for it...
Thanks mtbmamma. Shame abouth your mags. A friend's brother did a massive faceplant on his Aprillia cos of an absolutely massive pothole. Screwed up his front wheel and suspension badly. Same thing - the local council wouldn't take responsibility so he made a few potholes in the driveway and carpark of his local council...they fixed them...still no fixes on many potholes on actual roads...

Last edited:

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit off topic from roads but the footpaths are shite as well. I go for a run every night and the footpaths are death traps with huge tree roots causing huge lumps and holes all over the place, combine that with lack of street lights and it equals pain and also a broken mp3 player.

demo man

Used to be cool.
I don't know the figures, I'd love to see them though if you happen to have a link.

My point stands though, RTA have absolutely nothing to do with ACT roads. Your point is much broader and you're saying that the commonwealth doesn't give the NSW govt. enough money, am I right?

Well, duh. :p None of the states really get enough money, especially considering they're responsible for education and health etc.

In terms of ACT getting more money per head than NSW, while I don't know if that's true or not (and whether a simple net search would actually give us an answer), there are arguments from this side too, if that's the case. For one, there are a crapload of NSW residents going to public schools in the ACT, coming from both the Yass side of town and Queenbyan. The same goes for people using ACT hospitals and other state funded facilities.

Just my 2 cents, it's hardly an important argument but I just wanted to add that.

MasterOfReality

After forever
The bit about NSW getting the smallest piece of the Commonwealth pie,

If its to do with GST, I thought that the redistribution of GST to the states was sort of proportional to the amount of state taxes the GST was supposed to replace, that the states agreed to when signing on.

So failure to get rid of said taxes = smaller piece of Commonwealth pie (like NSW).

Is this right? I know its not as simple as that and there are many other factors to take into account.

Someone please correct me if it is fundamentally wrong.