Syntace Cock pit

topher

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Im looking for a new cock pit. I've heard this syntace stuff is not only extremely light but extremely good quality can anyone confirm?
This is more of a weight weenie type question here. I've been looking at the Syntace F99 stem with a ti bolt package, which should come in under 100 grams. Well quoted by the website at 90mm at 91 grams and 105mm at 98 grams. Has anyone had any experience with this stem, should there be anything to worry about considering how light weight it is?
Here is the link for the stem: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=390

To match this stem im thinking of going Syntace Duraflite Carbon mtb bars. These bar boys tip the scales at 119 grams a set. Has anyone had any problems using these bars or has anyone had any experience with them at all.
Here is the link for the bars:http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=387

Well after all that here is my final question. Does anyone know a bike store in melbourne that stocks or can order in syntace bars and stems? Also a vague idea of retail price aswell would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for all your help
Topher

tombi

Likes Dirt
They definitely look the goods but what sort of bike are they going on. If its for XC or AM that should be alrite, but i would be fairly hesitant to use them for DH and freeriding(even though they are DH approved) because carbon snaps cleanly and leaves the remainder of the bar as apposed to aluminium which bends making it still ridable after the crash. If you can get them at a decent price and there is a local dealer then they would be pretty sweet. If you cant get a hold of them, remember that there is always Thomson and Easton parts for a light build kit. Hope this helps.
TB

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Hmm, considering that a BBB litestem at 100mm is around 150g and will cost you all of around 60 bucks from your LBS, you're paying a hell of a lot for that final 50g.

Perhaps it's justifiable but only if you already have the maximum weight shaved on tyres, rims, seatpost, saddle, are running v brakes, neoprene grips like Titec Porkrinds or Ritchey WCS, have carbon headset spacers and have cut down your fork steerer tube.

If chasing ultimate low weight then sure, the Syntace are light (and I'll admit I've lusted after one myself) but as a dollars per gram weight saving that will make a huge difference to your steed, there are other places (tyres, tubes, rims, crankset, seatpost, saddle, pedals) that you ought to look first.

IMO of course...

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got the stem on my bike at the moment. If you read through the mtbr and ww forums you'll find it is the stem of choice. Syntace have very good quality control, very high standards and stand behind their product better than most by the sounds of things. They have just employed a new testing machine that no other company is game to use and have found that all stems produced before the 46th week of 2004 (production week/year is stamped in all their stems) needs to be recalled. They're replacing them with brand new ones and offering half price torque wrenches and handlebar deals.

The F99 stem is definitely their best selling item. In Australia you strike out though, the Syntace importer doesn't bring them in. I got mine brand new from ComCycleUSA - it's an ebay shop in the US. Alternatively sales.lightbikes.com is a very popular choice. It should cost you about 120 aussie dollars including shipping. Don't buy the Syntace Ti Bolt Kit though, it's very overpriced. The bolt size is M5x15 and can be gotten at less than half the price of the Syntace kit.

One thing you should note is that they have a 200 degree bar clamp which means that they do scratch your bars up a bit and you have to be very careful installing carbon bars. You don't want to scratch the actual weave, it's OK to dig into the laquer (sp?) on the top atleast. It does make for a very secure and accurate mounting of the bars which is important with such a small contact area on the face plate. About worrying - it's on probably 50% of the bikes on light-bikes.com and I've only seen one with a problem. Part of the steerer clamp snapped through but the bike was still easily controlable to a safe stop. It was due to over-torqueing (sp?) of the clamp bolt and Syntace have now remedied this problem by installing a washer that stops it being over-tightened. It's still a very good idea to use a torque wrench on such a precision item.

Don't let it scare you off though, I love it, it's very minimal and stiffer than other stems in the weight category (Ritchey WCS V3). It's always one of the first things recommended to people who want to save weight. No-one is unhappy with these stems. Bar wise, I can't help you on the Syntace bar - I got a MAXM MX-1 - they're light (105 grams claimed, usually 115-120 real weight), relatively cheap (compared to Easton/Ritchey) and barend compatible.

Anything else you want to know, let me know. If you want to buy from Australian sources the best option is the Ritchey WCS V3 which wholesales at something near the price you'd get an F99 from overseas.

Last edited: