Tailgate Pad + Ute Drawers?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Any of you fine specimens have a Ute with drawers in the tub and use a tailgate pad to carry your bikes?

I need extra storage (lockable) in the rear tub, but I use a Yakima gatekeeper pad. With the additional height added to the floor of the tub, how do the bikes sit when strapped to a pad?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Is there enough length in the tub to stand the bike up and strap it?
I have a Ute with a space between the tool boxes. I’ve got one of the cheap tube bike stands I roll the back wheel into then use a couple of small ratchet straps to keep it still. Works treat.
I can’t see how your current set up would work with the added height of the drawers.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Is there enough length in the tub to stand the bike up and strap it?
I have a Ute with a space between the tool boxes. I’ve got one of the cheap tube bike stands I roll the back wheel into then use a couple of small ratchet straps to keep it still. Works treat.
I can’t see how your current set up would work with the added height of the drawers.
Nope. Tub is 1400mm deep so that's not an option for me. Is have to drop the tailgate to fit it in.
I've been chatting to a mate who runs drawers and a tailpad. The angle that the bike sits at is pretty sketchy, so he ties the rear wheel down.
Think I'll build a little box over the wheel well and back to the tailgate. Keep the tub at 450mm deep.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

What about one of these with a mount to hold the front wheels up by the cabin?
Thought about that, but taking wheels off and storing them defeats the convenience of using a ute. Chance of me losing the axles are high too