Tailgate pads.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
So if you're running one how's it holding up?

Is it worth spending the $150 - $200 for an evoc,

dakine, Yakima etc

or am I better off running a rubber bed liner and pool noodle from Clark rubber? I know on some pads the bikes can slip around a bit and If you leave them on for too long can scratch the tailgate. It's for a tub on a dual cab.

I've run the carpet folded over for the last 10years and figure it's about time to get something that doesn't smell like a wet dog after it rains....

clockworked

Like an orange
my dakine one has been going since 2012. It has left a lot of tiny scratches on the gate, but I do nothing to prevent that. I'm going to use it as an excuse to get a flat tray anyway!
i think a sneaky blanket underneath it would solve most of the damage issue

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I've got a black ranger and regularly use my Yakima tail gate pad while the ute is dirty, no scratches at all, it stays put well and so do the bikes, pretty happy with it actually.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Thanks clockworked. I've narrowed it down to a Yakima or dakine I think.

Hey cropduster, how thick is the padding on the Yakima pad and so the bikes slide around at all? Thanks!

aanon

Likes Dirt
Have had a Dakine since 2011, it has been great and does a good job. Have not noticed any scratches on the tailgate at all.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Thanks clockworked. I've narrowed it down to a Yakima or dakine I think.

Hey cropduster, how thick is the padding on the Yakima pad and so the bikes slide around at all? Thanks!
the padding is quite generous, the liner that sits against the paintwork is good too, the only bike that's ever slipped on it was a cheap 26" clunker a mate had, everything else that's been in the back, hardtail, f/s 27.5" and 29" have stayed put for the full ride, it has padded bumpers on each end so they can't actually slip off the end and cause damage.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got my yakima because it was the cheapest from the local shop. fits perfect on my mazda ute, its been great. Three years in and still in great condition.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
after i saw moorey's home done job i looked around & bought the torpedo7 on sale for 69, does its job well, similar loo to dakine -only problem ive had is ive lost 2 of the nylon straps which lock onto the frame, they are plastic clips -i think velcro might have been better

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys. Do you use these pads to and from the trail instead of a rack. Or are they for shuttling only. I've never actually seen one in use.

And where are the pics of mooreys homemade job? We're they removed due to a sneaky knob shot.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
yep, i cart my bikes everywhere with mine, my ute seats five and i've had five bikes across the back, no tying down no movement and aside from one clumsy bugger who was impatient when he went to get his out of the back, no scratches to my ute or other bikes.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
yep, i cart my bikes everywhere with mine, my ute seats five and i've had five bikes across the back, no tying down no movement and aside from one clumsy bugger who was impatient when he went to get his out of the back, no scratches to my ute or other bikes.
You really should secure the bikes in the back of the ute. The draft from oncoming traffic can suck a bike(s) out of the tub and bounce the bikes down the road. After every holiday period we regularly receive enquiries from people who have lost or damaged bikes like that. Also, if you're stopped during a police operation - which are popular in holiday periods, there's every likelihood of being pinged for an unsecured load.

It really is worth the extra hassle to tie them down to avoid this heartache.

[video]http://www.isi-carriers.com/temp/ute_fail.mp4[/video]

Hope that helps.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I haven't found a need to yet, the head stock sits against the top of the tailgate with the front wheel and bars at 90 degrees snug against the pad, they don't move at all because the weight of the bike is wedged over the tailgate pad.

I do pull the tonneau cover bar against the back tyres to assist and while i've not been stopped by the fuzz they have followed me and seen the load in town plenty of times, maybe legally they need to be tied in but from my experience it's not necessary to secure them.

jarrod839

Banned
New Nissan nivara

Hi all.

Currently shopping around for a new ute and looking at running a tail gate pad for multiple bikes.
Has anyone had or know anyone that has run a tailgate pad with the new Nissan nivara as the tail gate has a small spoiler which is standard on the range and looks like it might be a small issue with how the bikes will sit or even damage to the gate.
Thanks.

stirk

Burner
Hi all.

Currently shopping around for a new ute and looking at running a tail gate pad for multiple bikes.
Has anyone had or know anyone that has run a tailgate pad with the new Nissan nivara as the tail gate has a small spoiler which is standard on the range and looks like it might be a small issue with how the bikes will sit or even damage to the gate.
Thanks.
That tailgate spolier is really a stubbie holder for when you and your mates are hanging about the car talking shit.

Thick protection should keep it in shape unless you bouncing down bumpy dirt roads at speed.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
That tailgate spolier is really a stubbie holder for when you and your mates are hanging about the car talking shit.

Thick protection should keep it in shape unless you bouncing down bumpy dirt roads at speed.

I just googled the Navara, because poking fun at the Dual Cab epidemic is a hobby of mine. Unfortunately that rear spoiler/platform tailgate is actually rather clever, so I can't make fun of it :sad:

I think the bike would sit over it just fine, I'm not sure what it would do to the pad though.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Anyone after a Dakine one - there's one for sale in newcastke on nsw Mtb trading post group on Facebook. $100 he's asking