Take a stand

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Three cheers to the mods for closing the Irwin thread, just wanted to get this in though I sent this email to all my mates.
Did this yesterday, wanted to get in before all the halfwits did.

Boycott the jokes
"You know they are going to come.

Boycott the trashy Steve Irwin Jokes.

He was one of the last true aussies, he deserves better than a bunch of cheap trashy jokes about how he died.

Take a stand, if one comes in, put it straight in the trash"

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
damn right, he stood for something, was a top bloke, family man and conservatonist.

Goto be pretty pathetic to start jokes about a man like that.

RESPECT

cooper_sgs

Likes Bikes
wat annoys me most is that he seems like a genuine bloke. who didnt set out not to make a huge sum of money (even tho luckily for his kids/wife he did) he set out to conserve and raise awareness of australias native flaura and fauna. He had only the interests of others in mind and it is deplorable that un-australian acting members of farkin (like who started the steve irwin thread) cheapen his life with trashy jokes. He is a true aussie icon

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
wat annoys me most is that he seems like a genuine bloke. who didnt set out not to make a huge sum of money (even tho luckily for his kids/wife he did) he set out to conserve and raise awareness of australias native flaura and fauna. He had only the interests of others in mind and it is deplorable that un-australian acting members of farkin (like who started the steve irwin thread) cheapen his life with trashy jokes. He is a true aussie icon
Please don't start with the whole un-Australian thing. Making jokes about the recently deceased is just plain old disrespectful.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Agree. The funeral hasn't even be scheduled yet FFS.

Please have some respect for the man and those who are mourning his passing. (Even if you disagreed with his position while he was alive.)

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I have no problem with the jokes. I even posted one myself, which I pulled off an international forum. If nothing else, you have to admire the speed with which it was posted, as it was dated at around 1pm, which is an hour before I'd even heard about it.

People react to bad situations differently. Some people see humour in anything. Personally I believe having a joke made about you in death is a mark of your standing in the conciousness of the world if not a mark of respect.

Making light of a bad situation is quintessentially Australian and English behaviour.

If people I don't know want to make jokes about me when I'm dead, good. At least my passing will be noted by more than my family and friends, and I'll take it as a sign that people knew of me, if not exactly respected me!

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
exactly guys,never make fun of no dead person just as they have passed.look how long it took for people to accept hitler jokes(years and years) and he was a monster in many peoples eyes.it's just not on.

don't mean to be a stick in the mud,but i recon this should of ben in the off-topic forum

live the "crikey"

Hilsty

Squid
I was emailed one of these said jokes at work today - It went straight in the trash, didn't even open it.

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
just remember... he died doing what he loved... he woulda perferred to go out sorrouded by the animals he devoted his live to saveing rather than in a hospital from some disease

and the best we can do for him is just remember him for what he was... a bloody great aussie!

and the day of his funeral all of you remember to take some time out of your day to remember him.. cause i know i will

Faded

Likes Bikes
(even tho luckily for his kids/wife he did)
He acually didn't have that much money as his friend sayd on tv "never had a credit card, never carried a dollar, he would even ask me for $10 to buy [his kids] a toy"

All the millions he made went into the Australia Zoo and buying huge amounts of land to conserve.

Yet people are saying he got what he was gettin always distressing animals, i heard that on tv ealier. If by some chance that person reads this, think about it dumbass, you sit there and judge him and he has done more for our country, more for our people AND MORE FOR THE ANIMALS than you will do in your intire life, he truely was a great bloke.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Oh come on people!!! Laughing at tragedy is the we we cope with things.

If you don't want to read the jokes don't read them but censorship sucks.

Steve Erwin was a great ambassador for wild life and the conservation movement and he will be sorely missed. I think the world is better off for him having lived here but it will be a worse place if we can't have a joke.

If somebody somewhere can't find a bit of humour in my passing I'd be sorely pissed.

No_Style

Likes Dirt
Personally I think I'm more in NCR's boat.

Black humour however is something that I realise does bother others.

I also feel that making jokes about someones death is not suitable unless you were mates with them before their death and you're in the company of others who understand the non-slanderous intent of such a dig. If anything the note of such remarks is more often than not a vieled form of praise or respect for the deceased that one finds hard to express in another fashion. Such jokes are often made to remember character or personality traits that were held/viewed in light hearted manner with the person before their death. No disrespect is aimed at the deceased by true mates/family, despite the words used or the fashion in which it may have been said.

Unfortunately the above scenario isn't exactly true when applied to the people making these sorts of jokes about his death. If close friends, even family want to joke then that is totally understood by me. It's very offensive when someone not 'in-the-loop' so to speak makes such remarks or jokes however at a sensitive time.

Furthermore the above joke isn't very tasteful, its simply a wise crack play on words, it is not something that highlights the good/respected traits of the deceased; which is what I consider to be true black humour in such a situation.
That said, jokes can be made by outsiders with no malicious intent at all, however they may not be interpreted as such by those who were close(r) to the deceased. Respecting these people through a period of grieving is I think the least people can do.

Fair enough these jokes will come out in time, but time heals, and at least then such jokes won't be hurting (as much) those who might have been more deeply affected by his death.

Personally I'm not concerned as I didn't know the bloke, from what I have read he seems a to be someone who put his money where his mouth was, and I respect people for that.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
exactly guys,never make fun of no dead person just as they have passed.look how long it took for people to accept hitler jokes(years and years)
im sorry, but that is the single worst analogy i have EVER heard. people took ages to accept jokes about hitler because he EXTERMINATED 6 MILLION PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE. try as you might, you will NEVER make as big a deal out of someone like steve irwin as someone like Mao/Hitler/Stalin.

now i agree, the man was a national icon and an all-round fantastic guy, and it is an absolute tragedy that he has died so young and left his family behind, but that has got to be the single stupidest thing i have read on here for a long time..

i'd also have to agree with NCR600...its not that big a deal. laughing things off is part of the national character and stereotype that steve contributed to significantly himself

angrygecko

Likes Bikes
sad to see such a trooper go...

Steve's death has truly struck a chord with all australians. He is the man that summarised who we are - people with heart...

I watched a recap of his interview on Andrew Denton's show on ABC, it showed a side deeper than that of which is portrayed, an intelligent and compassionate man who actually gives a damn about something rare and beautiful...

My deepest condolences to his wife and two kids, I hope in years to come they can celebrate the life their dad lived with as much vigour and passion as he did his own...

If people want to take a poke at someone, have a go at Germain Greer - oh so very out of place with what she said... :mad:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World...d-revenge-Greer/2006/09/05/1157222109840.html

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I believe having a joke made about you in death is a mark of your standing in the conciousness of the world if not a mark of respect.
Sometimes we rationalize things to make it seem OK. It i not ok to "make fun of" someone when they are in or have been in a tough spot. Irwins family are indeed in a tough spot.

Imagine his kids reading these jokes in a few years time, imagine their hurt, and then realize that if you think it is ok, then you have been a part of facilitating this hurt.

Don't make stuff up to make it ok.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh come on people!!! Laughing at tragedy is the we we cope with things.

If you don't want to read the jokes don't read them but censorship sucks.

Steve Erwin was a great ambassador for wild life and the conservation movement and he will be sorely missed. I think the world is better off for him having lived here but it will be a worse place if we can't have a joke.

If somebody somewhere can't find a bit of humour in my passing I'd be sorely pissed.

Choice isn't censorship.

As far as the the way we cope with thngs comment, thanks for setting me straight, clearly i was mistaken about how I feel about it.

Don't speak for me champ, have your opinion, but don't speak for me.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also feel that making jokes about someones death is not suitable unless you were mates with them before their death and you're in the company of others who understand the non-slanderous intent of such a dig. If anything the note of such remarks is more often than not a vieled form of praise or respect for the deceased that one finds hard to express in another fashion. Such jokes are often made to remember character or personality traits that were held/viewed in light hearted manner with the person before their death. No disrespect is aimed at the deceased by true mates/family, despite the words used or the fashion in which it may have been said.

Unfortunately the above scenario isn't exactly true when applied to the people making these sorts of jokes about his death. If close friends, even family want to joke then that is totally understood by me. It's very offensive when someone not 'in-the-loop' so to speak makes such remarks or jokes however at a sensitive time.

Got my vote with that one mate.

Totally agree,

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Sometimes we rationalize things to make it seem OK. It i not ok to "make fun of" someone when they are in or have been in a tough spot. Irwins family are indeed in a tough spot.

Imagine his kids reading these jokes in a few years time, imagine their hurt, and then realize that if you think it is ok, then you have been a part of facilitating this hurt.

Don't make stuff up to make it ok.
I was stating MY OPINION

An opinion is neither factual or non factual. It's not something you can "make up".
I thought the phrase "Personally I believe" would have made that fairly clear.

Should we perhaps erase all satirical material containing reference to Steve Irwin after his tragic death in case his family get upset at it? Let's delete all the Footy Show sketches, Viz Magazine comics, and hell, why not Russel Coight too. None of those were particularly respectful to him in life, so now he's dead, they must be REALLY, REALLY disrespectful, and NEED to be deleted, NOW!

People have different coping mechanisms, and senses of humour, and different ideas of what it is to respect someone.

Why is Southpark depicting Steve Irwin sticking his thumb into various parts of animal's anatomy not disrespectful, and worthy of much giggling & mirth, while a simple play on words (not even rude or smutty words) is tantamount to treason simply because the subject is deceased?

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was stating MY OPINION

An opinion is neither factual or non factual. It's not something you can "make up".
I thought the phrase "Personally I believe" would have made that fairly clear.

Should we perhaps erase all satirical material containing reference to Steve Irwin after his tragic death in case his family get upset at it? Let's delete all the Footy Show sketches, Viz Magazine comics, and hell, why not Russel Coight too. None of those were particularly respectful to him in life, so now he's dead, they must be REALLY, REALLY disrespectful, and NEED to be deleted, NOW!

People have different coping mechanisms, and senses of humour, and different ideas of what it is to respect someone.

Why is Southpark depicting Steve Irwin sticking his thumb into various parts of animal's anatomy not disrespectful, and worthy of much giggling & mirth, while a simple play on words (not even rude or smutty words) is tantamount to treason simply because the subject is deceased?

Didnt say you couldn't have an opinion, the thing about an opinion is that if you don't have the ability to have it be challanged, then you should think twice about putting it out there.

You are welcome to your opinion, don't be surprised if someone doesn't agree though, this is actually a good thing.

I do think you are way off, but I guess i had better keep that to myself though as I am not allowd to challange.

treason??????????????

Anyway, the point behind my original post was that there are bound to be some tasteless jokes coming out, Do the guy and his family a favour>>> Ignore em, (or don't it's up to you)