Taking newbie's on rides

Sommoner

Likes Dirt
I was just reading another thread when I saw the word newbie and it made me laugh about the time when i took some newbie friends out riding. While on the ride i had lots of fun and ended up in hospital with a few stitches... i took them down all the easy tracks, no rock gardens no drops very few jumps, but still grossly underestimated there skills, so after they said they will not come riding with me again.... so next time after alot of convincing i took them riding on fire tracks where they had alot more fun.
but any way i was just wondering if any of you guys/girls have had the same problems or would like to share your stories...

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
I once toook an ex-girlfriend out on a ride. She used to ride a bit but nothing techinical or steep.
So one day i said why don't you come have a look at some different stuff, i showed her a small North Shore section of a trail and she just instantly lashed out :wink: , saying that i was crazy and that riding bridges, logs etc was just plain stupid!
By the time we got out of the forest she was plenty upset! :D
Thank Gawd we broke up!

wombat

Lives in a hole
sommoner I love the avatar! Actually, other than the original kit, a pair of drums are the only stickers I have on my bike, down with commercial radio! Sorry, to hijack your thread...

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, i have a mate that moved over from NZ, he was basicly an XCer when he moved here. Anyway, we took him up the local trails for a bit of single track action, all goes well. Then after we've ridden the trail loop once we head over to some little jumps, i asked him if he was competant on jumps and he says "yeah, i love jumps". So i hit this little double, then one of my mates, then my Kiwi mate decides he'll have a go but asked if he could do it on my bike as it would be easier than his XC bike, he'd never ridden a 5" dually before though. Anyway, he hits this jump all wrong from the begining, the suspension soaked up alot of the jump and put his weight way forward, the front wheel drops into the gap between take off and lander and sends him flying over the bars, but get this, he never let go of the bars. The result was a baaaaad face plant. Ended up with a nice graze down one side of his face, a broken nose and a big old hole on his right nostrel where a stick went through it.

He now owns my old DH bike and rips the jumps no problems.

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
That's good way to get someone to buy your bike :twisted: :wink:

"Here, try this jump on my bike, you'll clear it by miles!!!"
hahahaha

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hehehehe, nah he bought it like 12 months later when he couldn't take DHing his XC bike anymore.

Az

Likes Dirt
My boss who is 50 odd does the odd bit of riding and the local guy who owns the outdoors store took him for a roll down the big hill Dh track, walking quite a few sections. Came into work the next day and asked if I could give him some leasons because he wanted to learn how to ride the whole thing before they went out riding again.

For those of you who have raced at beauty before we started at the top of big hill and spent 1/2 practicing the top drop offs. Went on down did the same thing at both the rock gardens and eventually ended up at the top of the short course where there is a small but square drop that either has to be hit at speed or with no speed at all. Anyway with all the confidence he had built up on the way down he thought he would hit at a medium pace.

To cut a long story short he went over the bars, catching his thumb in between his triggers on the way over. Completly smashing it to pieces in every which way possible and then landing on his shoulder and fractured that aswell!!!!!

Az

Likes Dirt
Yeah but he decide that DH wasnt for him. Lent him my big hit one day he loved it!!!!

Oh yeah he needed surgery on the thumb and had wires put in. Wasnt real pleasnt, was bearly enough for me to go back to twisty shifters. But on the bright side I got to run the go kart centre for a month!!

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got something against takin me on rides? LOL :lol:

Nah, as long as they/I have enough skills to keep up and do what they are commfy with.

Sommoner

Likes Dirt
hering the guy hit that double for the first time on a dulie reminds me of whe we took a wooden kicker to the park to stuff about on. My brother decided to have a go on for the first time on my bike, he hit the jump so hard that my crapy 3" of frunt suspension got all sucked up and the hard tail kicked the rear end up, making him do the biggest superman then he bracing the impact with his arms. after we stopped rolling around laughing and had a look at him we saw that he had a big pointy bit on his shoulder... He broke his collar bone in 2 spots... Needles to say dad was not to happy:)

Sommoner

Likes Dirt
Simo,
I have nothing against newbie's...
Im a newbie anyway only been riding DH for a year or so...
Its only for a laugh:)

Sommoner

Likes Dirt
Simo said:
acctualy, on 2nd thoughts, don't call me a newbie
lol
when i was looking at your posts i was thinking why are you calling yourself a newbie, the form is saying u are "Hardcore" :)

Curly

Squid
Yeah, we like taking newbies on rides - It seems to slow the pace down nicely.

We end up chatting on the climbs, and saving our energy to absolutely storm the singletrack, then stand around chatting while we wait for them. It's a much more social ride, and sometimes that's a good change from going hard all ride.

S.

ex offender
Speaking of newbies trying to jump... at Ivanhoe one day last year, some guys on (full rigid) kmart bikes turned up and were pretty impressed by our jumps. So one of them decided to have a go at our small set (first gap was 10ft). He pedalled up to it, then SAT DOWN just before the jump, front wheel dived into the gap, went otb and literally shattered his helmet (it was only a piece of dilapidated foam anyway). The guy was about 50 as well, tooooo old to jump :lol:

Tasha

Likes Bikes
One of the first times Ty took me out Mountain Biking was when i had my bike for about 6 months. I had ben riding to uni everyday, and he was teaching me small skills such as riding down gutters and back up, and which foot to have down in corners and such. Anyways after a leisurely ride up a moutain fireroad (so much hard work) there was a short but steep downhill section rutted out and loose dirt. Anyways after building up my confidence think comeon tash, i can do this...
I got as far back on my bike as possible and started down as slowly as possible. Ended up going way to fast for my skill level, on my head, with a big bump on my head, gauge taken out of my knee (cool scar now) and big time hurt pride :) Had a bit of a cry, but didnt stop me from getting back on to keep going :)
Luckily my skill has improved and i can now ride this section with no troubles!