tapered into 1 1/8?

jawry

Likes Dirt
Looking for a quality travel adjust 140-160 fork to replace the sectors on my 2011 heckler. Would probs settle for a non travel adjust 150 or 160. FWIW I have a DHX5 coil for the arse end and do prefer the feel of coil forks (call me a luddite) but could be tempted by air.

New and good second hand stocks of 1 1/8 steerer forks are as rare as honest pollies - I have heard that a tapered fork would fit with some 'different' bottom cups on the headset.

Cannot seem to find the definitive answer by googling - can anyone help who may have undertaken a similar search/exercise?

Details on cup size, brand, model etc etc of headsets would be fan-bloody-tastic (2011 heckler)

Thanks,

Iain

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If your frame's head tube has an internal diameter of 44mm, and uses a "semi-integrated" headset with press-in bearing cups, then you can replace the lower cup & bearing with an oversized external cup & bearing, which will allow the tapered steerer to fit. It will jack the front end of the bike up by about 10mm.

jawry

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that.

Will get the tape out on the weekend and check.

If it adds 10mm I'd probably stick with 150's - don't want to slacken Peggy off to much (got to earn the downs)