Tasmania - the secrets unlocked...

rstim

Likes Dirt
One was enough!! You were way too quick for us up there! Sorry we missed you on the way down. Good to meet you and have a chat on some of the ride up anyway!
Hope you enjoyed your lap down and the other 2 days of riding the rain would have made the dirt a lot less slippery

It was great to meet you even if it was only briefly.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hope you enjoyed your lap down and the other 2 days of riding the rain would have made the dirt a lot less slippery

It was great to meet you even if it was only briefly.
An awesome place to ride! The only real gripe I had was the maps. They're all pretty bad, and I didn't have trail forks to look at, which probably didn't help.

The Derby trails were all fine on Sunday. Saturday we rode the first 13 which was wet, but not sloppy, Blue Tier which held up to the rain really well, then Atlas, which was super sloppy in the middle where they'd done the recent work, and the rest there were a few decent puddles and erosion holes.

Favourites from the trip were...

Blue Tier - the scenery was awesome and some really nice trails thrown in too.

Black Stump / Shearpin / 23 stitches - Rocky, techy, but not really step, a heap of fun!

Roxanne - Some rocks, slabs, multiple lines, good times!

Donate - Got to ride a world level trail, all be it very slowly! But I did ride everything, which I was pretty happy with. :p

Air ya goin - Just fun!

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm in Derby from Saturday arv to Wednesday and in Penguin for a couple days after that if anyone is keen to catch up for a ride. I'm getting a bit too excited.

I might just be able to do that. It's the Tas Gravity round at Wild Mersey the week before and Red Bull Hardline the week after.
Is it the Rustic Huts that you are staying at?
Are you still interested in a ride on the 16th/17th (Fri/Sat) morning at Iron Tor? Let me know if either of those suit.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I'm in Derby from Saturday arv to Wednesday and in Penguin for a couple days after that if anyone is keen to catch up for a ride. I'm getting a bit too excited.

Are you still interested in a ride on the 16th/17th (Fri/Sat) morning at Iron Tor? Let me know if either of those suit.
I could come for a ride, kids go back to school this Thursday so next week should be much easier.

binner

Hath shat hymself
An awesome place to ride! The only real gripe I had was the maps. They're all pretty bad, and I didn't have trail forks to look at, which probably didn't help.

The Derby trails were all fine on Sunday. Saturday we rode the first 13 which was wet, but not sloppy, Blue Tier which held up to the rain really well, then Atlas, which was super sloppy in the middle where they'd done the recent work, and the rest there were a few decent puddles and erosion holes.

Favourites from the trip were...

Blue Tier - the scenery was awesome and some really nice trails thrown in too.

Black Stump / Shearpin / 23 stitches - Rocky, techy, but not really step, a heap of fun!

Roxanne - Some rocks, slabs, multiple lines, good times!

Donate - Got to ride a world level trail, all be it very slowly! But I did ride everything, which I was pretty happy with. :p

Air ya goin - Just fun!
Detonate ...Donate is the amount of riders who have been choppered out from Derby :D:D:D:p

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Detonate ...Donate is the amount of riders who have been choppered out from Derby :D:D:D:p
Yes, slight typo. I did donate some metal and paint from the forks and bar end caps though, so the name isn't totally incorrect. :p

LPG

likes thicc birds
Had a great trip to Tassie. It was a family trip with as much riding as I could fit in early in the mornings.

Had 5 rides at Derby which was awesome. I was mostly too early for shuttles and I did everything pedal powered but managed to hit every trail at derby at least once except Dambusters and Air ya Garn. I wanted to check out AYG but wanted to be able to do a follow up run after scoping it which didn't seem to be on the cards. Favorites trails were Shear-pin and Trouty with special mention to Kumma Gutsa. I didn't ride detonate properly after a stupid OTB at the start on day 1, I had serviced my forks before the trip and realised my setting were off when I got 0 support from the forks and dove through the travel. I have a feeling I would have walked at least some of it, it is a trail that needs proper commitment instead of my usual method of going slow enough to take each challenge individually.

The 2 days at Penguin both had me riding up the Iron Tor with some time in the penguin MTB park. It is an awesome climb and one of the most fun blue descents I can think of with some awesome bonus rock rolls and similar if you keep your eyes open.

I managed to meet up with @rstim for a ride at Derby and @Stredda met up for a ride at Penguin / Iron Tor, both were great showing me around their local trails and having a chat from a locals perspective/just generally good people to spend a bit of time meeting.

The family part of the trip was awesome, there are some great coastal spots for the hot days and some awesome bush and forest places to go see as well. The bay of fires was awesome but I didn't realise how nice the north coast was as well.

Derby was better than I expected for the family. The lake was a great swimming spot and I was able to bring the nearly 3 year olds balance bike and shotgun seat so he was loving the pump track and would ride himself down to the beach on the lake. The shotgun seat was fun to be able to ride with him on the green trails showing him a bit of wildlife, rusting mining equipment and ride through the derby tunnel. We were busy everyday with other things so I didn't get to do enough if this but it was good when I was able to squeeze it in. Penguin had heaps to do nearby and we wished we had more time to see the area. The wife already talking about where we need to spend more time next time so that's a win.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Favorites trails were Shear-pin and Trouty with special mention to Kumma Gutsa.
You did well, that janky sharp drop-corner on Shearpin is the only feature in Derby that I haven't ridden. Only done Shearpin 3-4 times because that corner disappoints me :( I want to feel stoke when I get to the bottom of a trail :p

LPG

likes thicc birds
You did well, that janky sharp drop-corner on Shearpin is the only feature in Derby that I haven't ridden. Only done Shearpin 3-4 times because that corner disappoints me :( I want to feel stoke when I get to the bottom of a trail :p
I didn't say I rode everything of the trails I rode, I was just particularly disappointed with my effort on Detonate. On the right day I think I could have a good go at that corner on Shear-pin; my defining MTB skill is riding things slower than most think possible which suits that feature. This means I have a reason to go back ;)

ozzybmx

I didn't say I rode everything of the trails I rode, I was just particularly disappointed with my effort on Detonate. On the right day I think I could have a good go at that corner on Shear-pin; my defining MTB skill is riding things slower than most think possible which suits that feature. This means I have a reason to go back ;)
When you sit on your bike contemplating that corner, thinking about the missus who freaks out towing our caravan... never mind navigating her way on to the boat with a 13m long car/van, my 2 young boys who couldn't lift my busted body off the rocks, messing up the rest of the trip with a hospital stay... ehhh, I'll try it another day ;)

LPG

likes thicc birds
When you sit on your bike contemplating that corner, thinking about the missus who freaks out towing our caravan... never mind navigating her way on to the boat with a 13m long car/van, my 2 young boys who couldn't lift my busted body off the rocks, messing up the rest of the trip with a hospital stay... ehhh, I'll try it another day ;)
Yep, when you think it through you realise you will have a great trip without hitting it. We're not 18 with something to prove anymore.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I have been over the bars on that corner luckily I walked away with only a broken seat and could race the ews challenger event the next day. I've walked it since then

Jpez

Down on the left!
Which corner? I rode detonate, shearpin/23 stitches blind racing the TransTas. With raceface on I don’t actually remember a whole lot of them but they are my sort or trails! I remember a Marshall standing at the split rock in Detonate. If there was an inkling of hesitation he pointed people off to the b line as a few had gone OTB including one unfortunate girl that had an amazing action shot taken mid OTB which was used a fair bit in the socials. Guy I was riding with thought he was actually telling him to go b line as there was a crash or something and was pissed when he realised it was just an option.
Trouty at race pace was awesome. I’d ridden that before but not at pace.
Shortly after I rolled down the stairs at the end a local pinner gapped the stairs, clipped a tree and broke his hip. Still went through the timing doodad though so was still top 3 I think even though he was in hospital.
Yeah those trails are no joke.

ozzybmx

Which corner?
Starts just before the corner: A local Adelaide bloke, currently the 50+ Aus Nat Champ making it look easy, its steep, needs commitment and good tyre placement, hesitate and over you go.

Commitment is the key, the faster you go, the more momentum and easier it will be rather than braking over rock drops.

Camera doing its usual job of destroying the steepness, this corner drops about 20-25m over 25m of distance.

The boulder section from 55 seconds is awesome !

Last edited: