Tdu 09

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The biggest man in cycling is on our shores for the tour down under and i can't find any talk about it on here at all, i know its a mountain bike forum predominantly but come on.

What are peoples thoughts on Lance coming, returning from retirement and how do you think he will fare?

It would be great to hear some opinions on it all as i know many people have very differing views!

Feel free to take this in any direction you feel...

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Yeah I thought there would have been a thread on this already.

Part of me is realy excited about Lances come bake, but I also know he probably wont exciting to watch anymore. Its starting to look like (it likes Lance knows it to) that he isn't going to make any impact in any races and its all about publicity. Drugs or not, he trained bloody hard to win all those yellow jerseys and I find it hard to believe that he can make a top 10 in any major race.

Just my 2c.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Pretty exicting, hope it gets a lot of (good) coverage.

Found some tv details here:

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2009/?q=Telecast

Still not sure if hes going to ride in the teams colours or will keep the livestrong kit up - think i read some conflicting reports. One saying livestrong kit for training only, other saying full time. Minor details anyway.

Definately looking forward to the tour.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Todays herald sun has photos of Lance and the astana team out on a training ride as shown above. Lance is sporting the Astana kit for this ride and i would imagine the team would never allow him to Race in his livestrong kit. The money they would pay for sponsorship would be phenomenal and to then have someone (even Lance) parade round in a different kit would decrease their value for money immensely!!

I am tipping he may suprise a few people, even at a relatively old age, I can't see why he would commit to such an arduous task without knowing in his mind he is going to be competitive.

After spending my summer reading plenty of cycling books and watching previous tour de frances, the guy seriously hates losing and will go to any length not too.

I was not such a huge fan, but i am starting to gain a lot more respect for the guy.. His name has been enough to get me on a plane to adelaide to watch a few days!

I am looking forward to being a part of the action and seeing what kind of atmosphere the Lance Armstrong factor will create!

Also the chance for some young Aussies to get there face out there can only be a good thing. Hopefully he does chase the win, for himself and for the race and besides getting one up on Alberto so early in the year will only drive them both harder meaning this years TDF will be impossible to miss!

dh911

Likes Bikes
I read on the cyclingnews site that apparently UCI regulations require the team to have one jersey for the riders for the whole season, however they can pay a "fine" to ride in different colours, but as mentioned it would not be beneficial to Astana for Lance to ride in his Livestrong kit. As for his performance, I think he will/has put huge amounts of effort into the comeback and will be interesting to see how it unfolds. My money is on him that's for sure.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I think Lance is a freak. He will win this event...easily.

He's quiet a modest fellow too, so he himself doesnt think he'll win, But will kill everyone in the race.

Sketchy

Likes Dirt
He is a freak no doubt, dont forget he's the man who won 7 Tour de France's he might still have something left to show but i dont think he has it in him to win it. Oscar Pereiro is also making his come back here after is nasty crash last year at the Tour de France, would really like to see him to well too.

Last edited:

alexb618

Likes Dirt
I think Lance is a freak. He will win this event...easily.

He's quiet a modest fellow too, so he himself doesnt think he'll win, But will kill everyone in the race.
the tdu is not for grand tour riders, its for sprinters and guys who go out in breakaways. the entire cycling world would be pretty shocked if lance ends up 1st overall

my pick is jens or stu

though you cant rule out lance for a stage win next friday in the hills

i like oscar but i dont think he will do much here as he is about 15kg overweight and just trying to get some form

CD24

Likes Bikes
Well I sure all involved with the TDU will be happy with Lance is racing. The TDU has got more coverage in media in the past couple of weeks than it has in the past 10 years. Certainly has lifted the profile of the event in Australia.

Wish SBS telecast Saturdays stage. The race climbs Willunga twice this year, sure the race will be won on this day with some great attacking cycling.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I dont think his age is an issue, and the fact that he won 7 tours shows that eh is easliy one of the best riders ever. However, the fact that he has been out of professional cycling for 3 years will hold him back alot, ontop of that, he has only been traing for this for about 6 months now, which is not enough time to get to pro tour fitness. If we are going to see lance at his best, I think it will be towards the end of the season.

However, I am relay lloking forward to watching him race, and what his done is realy good for not only cycling but Auctralian cycling. Because of Lance, there are alot of teams coming to race here who wouldnt normaly.

dh911

Likes Bikes
Just wondering, does anybody know if Lance is going to auction his one-off custom trek madone frame after the TDU? Sorta makes sense if he did, good way to raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. No doubt someone is willing to fork out big bucks for it....

alexb618

Likes Dirt
robbie mcewen takes the TDU classic (prologue)

jack bobridge takes 2 preme sprints

lance does nothing, no warm down lap for the 100,000+ fans who showed up...

Sketchy

Likes Dirt
It was a pity that only half the riders rode the warm down lap as its a good opportunity to see the riders up close and get a few more pictures.

Was pretty amazing to see 100,000 plus people watching the race, quite unique for Adelaide.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
The official crowd number estimate was 138,000 :eek:

That is amazing, I really wish I could come and watch. Not the best sprint Ive ever seen, but entertaining enough, good to see so many local riders up there as well.

akashra

Eats Squid
There are 138,000 people in Adelaide? :)

I must admit, there's been tons said about the event, it's just such a shame there's only one person racing it.

Oh. What? There's other people in the race? Media could have fooled me, I thought it was just Tour de Livestrong.

bazza

look at me
how amazingly awkard and embarrased did you feel when the PM was talking to Lance. I did like the cheeky comment about it being the first time the PM has been to the TDU though.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back last night from Adelaide watching the first 2 stages of the Tour..

I was blown away by the support the city throws behind the event! Everywhere you go there are people lining the streets to see the boys fly past!

There is a lot of support for the Aussies over there aswell, Lance draws the attention to the event then national pride takes over!

So many cyclists around adelaide, i did not realise so many people spectated by form of their bike! The roads are covered with cyclists!

Great experience and i recommend it to anyone thinking about going along now or in future years.