Teetotalism

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Right in the midst of the uni student heavy drinking phase. Lived on campus so it was the done thing and I enjoyed it all too much.
Cut back quite a bit since moving out of there to focus on fitness and chase a girl.
Moving into a more have a couple of quiet beers with mates somewhere every now and then phase, rather than save it all up for 3 or 4 big nights per week when living at uni.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Same story for me drank lots when i was young had great fun i think ? .
I think one misses life a bit ( to out of it to notice ) let alone the cost etc.

. A saying i heard from a musician quote , i self medicated through consumtion of drinking and other stuff.
one needs to question why you even drink.

So swap it is my moto ie (go for a ride rather than a drink ) ,i feel better for it

So no drinking for me for long time .
I much rather be aware than numb as really booze is a life number
I appreciate everything more without it .

Now i just need to cut caffeine out its the next to go ,

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlti3mjaXV0[/video]

I dont drink much, but damn this makes a pretty good pro drink argument.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlti3mjaXV0[/video]

I dont drink much, but damn this makes a pretty good pro drink argument.
Ironically Jim Jefferies stopped drinking after he developed liver disease. For about a year, and then started again....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm what Oz labels a text book binge drinker, I dont have 1 or 2 with dinner or even 1 when a mate offers it. If I cant smash as many as I want, I dont have any at all.

Maybe once a week or fortnight as I'm a shift worker, not out on the town but watching a few movies or reading MTB shit on the net, with a bit of buying bling too.

No drinking wine, spirits or strong beers, just regular beers. I can then get up the next day and go for a ride no worries.

I usually cover 10,000km a year on the bike, I work shiftwork and hold down a perfectly normal life with my missus and 2 active boys.

I just like to get smashed occasionally.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I read this thread having quietly nailed a half a bottle of sav blanc and a half a bottle of a rather nice red...and then think I did that last night too (only it was beers instead of white wine)...and the night before that...and I think...I have children (yes that is confirmed... I asked my beloved...we do have a children). And I have a dog. And I can still afford bike parts...and bikes. And I only work three days a week.

And I think...

How fucking good is THIS?

Though it is a given that I should drink less...I enjoy it. And no-one hates me for it.

Brow

Big Block
I read this thread having quietly nailed a half a bottle of sav blanc and a half a bottle of a rather nice red...and then think I did that last night too (only it was beers instead of white wine)...and the night before that...and I think...I have children (yes that is confirmed... I asked my beloved...we do have a children). And I have a dog. And I can still afford bike parts...and bikes. And I only work three days a week.

And I think...

How fucking good is THIS?

Though it is a given that I should drink less...I enjoy it. And no-one hates me for it.
I don't hate you for drinking - I just finished beer No4. But I hate you for all the other stuff you have going for you. I gotta work 5 days a week, got 3 kids but no dog.

Good on you, I think I am just jealous and do not actually hate you - you like MTB so can't be too bad.

floody

Wheel size expert
Used to drink heaps, social life bombed after uni, drink about 2 standard drinks a month now, if I go out for lunch or something. I think triggers are a big part of it, overcome those and you'll be fine.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Taking bets on that?
Well people on the internet might hate me.

But the people in my life I care about don't...particularly in terms of my alcohol consumption, its effect on me and the repercussions (or the actual lack thereof) it has on them.

The flipside to all this goodness is that I haven't been on a bicycle since December 12th...too many other things on!!

Well today is the last day before February starts, it's gonna be hot and I'm having a bbq.

I could tie one on but I reckon I'll use this as a trial run.

Plan will be to do all of Feb and then see how it goes from there, at this stage I don't plan on giving it away permanently, more like giving away the getting pissed bit. But I'll have to see how I feel.

I think what I'm looking for is more restraint.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Well today is the last day before February starts, it's gonna be hot and I'm having a bbq.

Plan will be to do all of Feb and then see how it goes from there, at this stage I don't plan on giving it away permanently, more like giving away the getting pissed bit. But I'll have to see how I feel.

Good call mate, I'm gonna give Feb a go too.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Don't drink today as an investment. If you stay dry today you will have to do all of Feb, otherwise you will have wasted a BBQ for nothing, and that would be a dumb thing to do.

I usually buy a 6 pack a month, one beer on a Friday night and fall asleep on the lounge. Although, last night I took a good book to a bar and enjoyed 3 very excellent (and very high alc. content) beers. Got through about 40 pages, had a nice glow, wife came to pick me up and home I went. Got up at 8am feeling just great and that's my big night out for the month!

As some on here know, though, I do have those big nights out that go for a few days in me. They cost too much these days so they are an absolute rarity.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Woah this thread seems like one or the other. Either your a 20 drink a week person of you have seen the light and will never drink again.
Sometimes When heavier drinking mates decide to take a month off I feel like they are just as much a victim of alcohols grip on them as when they are drinking.

I seem to fit in the middle ground that almost no one in this thread occupies.

I go weeks without drinking but definitely not months.. but maybe I have and wouldnt notice.

As 1st and 2nd generation europeans Alcohol has always formed part of the social and culinary culture of my family. Not drinking heavily but everyone relaxes with a beer at a bbq or has a glass of wine or two with special dinners. We even have a habbit of serving shots of strong liquour to family when they have a cold. We know it doesnt work but its a caring and comforting thing similar to offering a cup of tea. If a member of the family does over indulge (happens to all ages and levels of experience) its seen more of a woopsy daisy they had a fun night rather than being greeted with ostracisation. Alcohol was never viewed as seriously dangerous or a vehicle for ridiculous behaviour or excess or most especially violence. This has carried on into the rest of my life where some weekends I'll have a couple of beers or a share a bottle of wine with the mrs but some I wont. Its relaxing and I do enjoy the taste. I almost find it similar in experience to eating a chocolate cake etc with some added social lubricant.

In summary Alcohol is just another item in the fabric of life. It doesnt cause much concern or thinking and certainly not enough to prompt me to give myself a time frame off. Would you swear off ice cream for a month? If you had to I'd suggest you have an unhealthy relationship with ice cream.