tell me about living in NSW (crows nest)

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
Another forum i visit has an ask/tell section, and thus i am emulating that here on farkin.

Basically I have been sent a job offer for a firm in NSW, specifically Crows Nest. Before writing the application, sitting the interviews and chucking in my shit here in Tas, i want to know some things.
I used to live in Melbourne so I'm used to the LOL busy lifestyle, so feel free to make comparisons between these Sydney and Melbourne.

Specific information Im after include:

Living: Ill probably be bachelor padding for a while till i can fix up my fucked financials and look at a house. so rentals are where its at. What suburbs should i be looking at that are within walking/riding distance (5km) of Crows Nest. more importantly, which ones should i avoid like the plague?
Also which suburbs are more rental friendly? i know some parts of melbourne are apartment and town house only without a house to be seen, does this exist in outer sydney too? And which suburbs are more car friendly, i know some of sydney has a real shortage for parking, so suburbs that avoid this would be preferential.

Transport: Ive heard all the horror stories of ShittyRail and will probably try to avoid it, but in case of emergency, what sort of transport is available from Crows to Sydney CBD or other things like sports venues, night venues, etc.

Im going to have my car and my bike, so self powered transport isnt an issue, im more concerned about late night drunken adventures. Also how bike friendly are the trains in sydney? i know you can take bikes on the trains in melbourne without too many issues.

Distance: What sort of distance is it from Crows Nest to Sydney. Im guessing being outer suburbs about 30 to 45mins by car (good run) or on train?

Most important is: Riding: Apart from the usual NSW state series, what sort of action could i get in on? are there venues close to Sydney for riding, or will it be a 4 hour drive to the nearest DH trails?

im sure others will raise more points than those listed above, and ill probably have more questions. thanks for the response.

W2ttsy

[Ozy]

Squid
Crows nest is closer than you think....

and its great - the women are hot and up for it, and the bars are pretty good.

get on whereis.com and check it out ;)

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Another forum i visit has an ask/tell section, and thus i am emulating that here on farkin.

Basically I have been sent a job offer for a firm in NSW, specifically Crows Nest. Before writing the application, sitting the interviews and chucking in my shit here in Tas, i want to know some things.
I used to live in Melbourne so I'm used to the LOL busy lifestyle, so feel free to make comparisons between these Sydney and Melbourne.

Living: Ill probably be bachelor padding for a while till i can fix up my fucked financials and look at a house. so rentals are where its at. What suburbs should i be looking at that are within walking/riding distance (5km) of Crows Nest. more importantly, which ones should i avoid like the plague?
Also which suburbs are more rental friendly? i know some parts of melbourne are apartment and town house only without a house to be seen, does this exist in outer sydney too? And which suburbs are more car friendly, i know some of sydney has a real shortage for parking, so suburbs that avoid this would be preferential.

Transport: Ive heard all the horror stories of ShittyRail and will probably try to avoid it, but in case of emergency, what sort of transport is available from Crows to Sydney CBD or other things like sports venues, night venues, etc.

Im going to have my car and my bike, so self powered transport isnt an issue, im more concerned about late night drunken adventures. Also how bike friendly are the trains in sydney? i know you can take bikes on the trains in melbourne without too many issues.

Distance: What sort of distance is it from Crows Nest to Sydney. Im guessing being outer suburbs about 30 to 45mins by car (good run) or on train?

Most important is: Riding: Apart from the usual NSW state series, what sort of action could i get in on? are there venues close to Sydney for riding, or will it be a 4 hour drive to the nearest DH trails?

im sure others will raise more points than those listed above, and ill probably have more questions. thanks for the response.

W2ttsy
Dude, crows nest is like +-10mins from the CBD, and like 5 from North Sydney (another hotspot).... Crowie is an awesome place, few bars, lots of restraunts and such... Trains: not to bad.. You get used to it. Generally pretty bike friendly... Good place to live.

Rent will be expensive though, watch out.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't live far from Crows Nest.

I'll just be brief. The roads are not that cycle friendly, but you will get used to it. It is reasonably hilly and you'll need to keep an eye out for the native urban fourwheel drives and BMW's.

But the plusses are you'll be close to the city (15-20min ride), close to a train line, close to a few local pubs, and in my opinion it is not a bad place to rent.

I'm sure Johnny will post a more detailed reply.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
Ok, thanks for the replies re distance. Google maps isnt the best way to judge distance, especially when the maps change scale.

Glad to know its not as far as i thought. probably closer to inner suburbs melbourne (Toorak, Brighton, et al)

W2ttsy

Drizz

Likes Dirt

Lane Cove, St Leonard and even Chatswood are the ones I suggest, if not anything along pacific Highway is good. The 2 location I mentioned have public transport thats within 20 mins travel from the city itself. All areas within 5 Kms of Crows Nest are good areas so you dun have to worry about living in a slum, you just have to worry whether you can afford the rent. If you rent a unit they usually have one car spot allocated within that complex so you should be right. Failing that on street parking is not too bad. Other suburbs to consider are Atarmon, Wilobury (SP) and maybe even Cremone and Milsons point if you can afford the rent.

Buses are your best bet, 290 goes along Pacific Highway and get you to North Sydney and CBD. (I think) TBH your commuter should be your priority form of transport. :D

You will have to pay for a concession ticket during peak time for your bike. The carriages are quite cramp during those hours so people might not be the friendliest lot. Other times you can take your bike for free. You do get a few drunks here and there in the city and North Shore, but generally its quite safe.

20 mins on a good day, 30mins + if its peak time. I done it in 10 mins at 12:00 p.m.

Oxford Fall is the closet. Failling that Oriumbah is only around 2 hour drive. Others might be able to add to this.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, lived there for two years before I moved O/S.

I love the place, all that's stated above is true, very close to town, busses are top notch, trains...., well, just read the Sydney Morning Herald for the horror stories. I wouldn't take a bike on them during peak hour, but have done so off peak for years.

The Crow's NEst Hotel is a great place, Nth Syd 2 mins down the road is also chockas full of pubs, bars restaurants and night spots. Parking is a REAL hassle if you live right in Crow's Nest. I actually lived just outside for the last year, in Greenwich, beautiful, leafy and one hell of a cool little riding track that only Nicho, Carlin and Drop in Drew know about. Awesome, sick little track; half down hillish, half fast, flowey single track...., wish I was there now.

Not the cheapest place to live, but the choice should be plentiful and some bargains to be found. My last apartment was a two bedroom, pretty large, one garage, balcony, water glimpses in a leafy quiet street for $285 a week.

As Drizz said, HEAPS of surrounding suburbs to check out; LAne Cove, Cremorne, Milson's, Neutral Bay (pricey), St Leonards, etc. etc. Lane Cove will be the cheapest as it has a apartment suburb within.

Driving, without the scourge of peak hour traffic, shall see you in town in 5-10 mins tops. $15 cab fare (they are a rip off in Sydney) but there are absolute shit tins of shops, restaurants, pubs, etc. on the north of the harbour.

I really loved living in that area, best place I ever lived in Sydney (other than my own house, but that's another story). As stated above, for some reason, you get HEAPS of beautiful women living in that area!

Pete J

loves his dog
A friend of mine used to live in Greenwich back in the mid 90's and it really is a handy little suburb to reside in. It's a stones throw from Crowie, has buses going past on Pacific highway all the time and St. Leonards train station is just up the road. I'd go for a place there over Crows Nest anyday, even Artarmon would be better imo.
I worked in Crows Nest for a year or so back in 95, the one thing i miss most about it is the fish and chip shop on the main shopping strip. Can't remember the name and don't know if it's even still there but it was one of the best fish and chipperys i've ever been to! Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water, getting that kind of thing over here is next to impossible. The music shop close to the pacific highway junction was also pretty good too. However the annoying part about CN is the almost complete lack of rubbish bins anywhere, at least that's how it was in those days. The council wanted people to be more responsible with their trash so what they did was remove all the bins from the main street. Ludicrous! :confused:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Fish and Chip shop is a gonna but the music shop is still there..., has an old flame of Nicho's running the joint "I just want to have fun" RUNAWAY RUNAWAY!!:p You also have the New Orleans cafe that makes awesome burgers and has hotties waiting on you....., say hi to Jacquie the manager for me! :cool:

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
thanks for the replies guys. Its all about research at the moment. I dont want to pack up and move away from security (parents, local knowledge, etc) to find its not my ideal place to live or work.

now to polish the ol' resume...

W2ttsy

Drizz

Likes Dirt
I dont want to pack up and move away from security (parents, local knowledge, etc) to find its not my ideal place to live or work.
The beauty is that you won't know that until you are there. Hey at least you still in the same country, in 3 weeks time I be in London. :cool:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Oxford Fall is the closet. Failling that Oriumbah is only around 2 hour drive. Others might be able to add to this.
Ourimbah is only just over an hour from the inner west so should be even quicker from Crows Nest. 2 Hours will get you to Killingworth,

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, absolutely! Depending on the traffic getting to the freeway, I've made it to Ourimbah in about 55 minutes!

Drizz

Likes Dirt
You guys sticking to speed limit? I get there from Eastwood in 1 and a half hours door to door.

Wait, I counted the 20 mins I spend at the servo and 10 mins I spend packing my bike. Nevermind.....:eek: