Temporary Chris King Baseplate

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
when I bought a frame from someone recently w a CK headset , he forgot the baseplate / crown race which was left on a fork.
I am hoping he will post one but in the meantime does it matter what I use as a temporary replacement .
The 1.5 ins CK one is about $50 posted so exxy.I have a spare Cane creek one 36 degreees.
I was thinking of a cheap split one cos its easy to get off but wondered about the bearing contact angle does it really matter when the crown race is not really a race ?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Gee, a hard thing to test if something else works OK. If not, it could get messy.

I wouldn't mind a spare CK crown race / baseplate either. They aren't a bargain but anything CK rarely is.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hmm, not sure about compatibility but my CK crown race is a whole lotta chunk of metal compared to my CC ones. By eye, they are quite different.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can you get the dimensions of the CK bearing? From memory the standard CC bottom bearing is 40mm id and a 36° chamfer.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The CK website refers to 45x45 degree lower bearing chamfers on the Dropset 2 and 36x45 on the Dropset 3 headset. Whilst this might not be the headset you have @rowdyflat, it might suggest that your lower headset bearing could have a 36 degree chamfer on the bearing inner race, which might work with your CC crown race. Can you put the bearing on the crown race and check the fit?

Edit: you could always try using a Cane Creek lower bearing instead of the CK one?