Terminating Phone Contracts

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm onto my 3rd phone about 6 months into my contract after the first two spontaneously broke. My reception is absolutely terrible, to the point where I can no longer even make a call inside my house without dropping in and out. Which is ridiculous considering I CAN SEE the CBD FROM MY BALCONY. On top of this the reception at uni where I most need my phone is just as atrocious. I've been told that I am able to legally terminate a contract if my carrier is unable to provide satisfactory service to me. I am absolutely sick to death and I just want out! With a year and a half left on my plan, does anyone know how I can go about terminating my contract under this clause?

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
I was just given 6 months of free service to not terminate my contract with my telco. Sweet thing really gave my wife an iPhone 4 too. That said I have been with said telco for many years but it was a simple matter done over the phone. I will be saving heaps but they have also saved me as a customer!

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
I'd say so, also have a similar problem with calling people in my house. Gets pretty annoying having to run outside when i get a phone call but rather do that then spend an extra few hundred for telstra.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got out of a contract with three earlier this year on similar grounds and i can tell you now, you'll be pushing shit uphill for a long time before you start to make any progress. It took me months of calling them about twice a week to complain about both terrible service and the phone roaming on telstra 3g even when it said there was three coverage available. took me three months and about 20 long and frustrating calls to finally win.

In the end it was barely worth the $900ish termination fee it saved me, but by the time i'd realised that i had already invested too much time and built up too much rage to quit.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Going to the telecommunication ombudsman is an option but you will have had to make an effort to resolve this issue with your carrier first (assuming you haven't already).

Make sure you keep a record of every time you call them and what their response was, how many times your calls drop out in a day etc etc.

My suggestion is call the ombudsman and get some proper advice as to what your rights and obligations are first then go from there.

I've used them in the past and I found them very helpful not too mention they sorted out my issue for me with Telstra.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
2 year contracts suck ballz.

Why won't competitor telcos offer to pay-out a contract exit fee?

Now that'd throw a big spanner in the works. Goes to show how they are all working together somehow :s