Testing my new Chinese shellite hiking stove

Bermshot

Banned
Don't bag him/her.

Cheap survival gear, well done.

Trangia is OK since it haves short falls.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Don't bag him.

Cheap survival gear, well done.

Trangia is OK since it haves short falls.
According to the OP's bio, its a her.

Agree Trangia OK but lots of lighter, higher performing and affordable alternatives around now (as OP has shown).

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
You can pry my Jetboil from my cold dead hands. . . . That's if they ever got cold and dead which is unlikely given how awesome my Jetboil is.

They've also dropped the price on them so they start at $119 which I don't think is bad value considering that includes a nice pot. And consider this, if you were to have this stove set up with water in it and I had my Jetboil in my pack I'd probably still be eating and/or drinking before you :cheer2:

0psi

Eats Squid
Video evidence or I wont believe you.
I might get around to it if I can be bothered. It would be a close race though.

My Jetboil takes 2-3 mins to boil 500ml depending on ambient temp (maybe a smidge longer if it's stoopid cold) and takes about a minute to get it set up. Screw fuel into burner, clip burner to pot, turn dial, push ingnitor. It really is that easy. Plus you don't have to worry about trying to find somewhere to set up your stove etc, you can just hold it in your hand while you cook.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Thermarest Neoair FTW!! Also for summer camping when rain isn't too likely check out the Sea to Summit Solo and Duo tents, lighter and smaller than most bivvy bags.
In good weather I don't take a tent. If its nice and warm I don't use my sleeping bag either. I usually have half a 3 man fly, just in case. I can usually get out for a few days with a pack easily under 9kg.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I'm a wannabe sleeping mat, tarp and bivvy nerd, but also a major tightarse.

Those neoairs cost almost as much as my bike did.

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
The equivalent major brand stoves from MSR & over$200. I have a Jetboil I use for flying & hiking to save hassles. But when going to alpine hut camping in winter, shellites faster than metho & a lot cheaper than throwaway gas cans. Plus if in a pinch, fuel is as close as a servo.

For the mat people I use a neoair xtherm have been on overnighters at 1600-2000m in winters. I joined. The crew looking for the missing Canadian near Kosi. I'm readying myself for a ski trip or backcountry trip soon.

0psi

Eats Squid
a lot cheaper than throwaway gas cans. Plus if in a pinch, fuel is as close as a servo.
Yeah you got me there, only major down side to the ol' Jetboil.

Out of curiosity have you used your Jetboil in properly cold conditions? I've only ever used mine up to a few degrees below zero and it was alright there but apparently it's only rated to -5 or so?

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
Yeah you got me there, only major down side to the ol' Jetboil.

Out of curiosity have you used your Jetboil in properly cold conditions? I've only ever used mine up to a few degrees below zero and it was alright there but apparently it's only rated to -5 or so?
Yes, always with Jetboil brand gas cans.

Lunch on a Nordic trail at Perisher-cooked well, used the orange legs & 5mm foam underneath from a cut bed mat.

Also camps at Federation Hut, Mt Stirling, Mirimbah, Bright in ski season. Worked up to 1600m no probs.

Cheaper gas cans perform less.

Metho (trangia) is ok in cold but a bit slower than normal.

Cheap cans you can put in the sleeping bag. Cans left in vestibule overnight are a bit harder to get going.

I use my Jetboil if flying & hiking as there's less hassle.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Unless you are given the option of an Exped DownMat http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf:sleep:
+1 on the Downmat, but back to that later.

An unlikely thread on an MTB forum in some ways but:

Been a hike and bike touring (but unfortunately not not necessarily confined to) nerd for over 30 years since I discovered skiing and hiking at Uni .

I have tried a few things (occupational hazard - professional scientist) over the years. Based on my experiences:

Trangia, I am a gourmet hike cook, so apart from being heavy and slow (bit like like me), not enough heat and control for my liking. I also found pack weight with fuel for extended hikes (>4 days) silly so went shellite/multifuel 25 years ago. Some of my hike mates still swear my Trangias, but are progressively converting to gas versions.

Jet boil - really good as long as you are cooking for one (or at a stretch two if you like simple food). Like any other (vertical) gas only stove, limited in performance when you get to altitude and/or cold (<3 C).

I have a number of shellite/multifuel stoves accumulated over the years but for long trips (in fact now any) will pick my Kovea Moonwalker stove (originally purchased for use by my son and daughter in school outdoor ed programs due to K.I.S.S., but, turns out the cheapest stove I have can run gas canister inverted for use as a liquid fuel stove - anywhere) and MSR blackstone cookware. With a home made wind shield (aluminium flashing from Bunnings) is great and works at altitude in any temp. At civilised altitudes/temps not as fast as jetboil for one up, but I generally cook for two/ three and it has backed up other hikers when their system have had problems (unlike MSR jetboil or reactor technology which must be used as an integrated system) out whoop woop.

Yes, always with Jetboil brand gas cans. Cheaper gas cans perform less.

As stated, the best gas is MSR but also Kovea butane/propane mix. For some reason better than other brands (irrespective of mix). As for concerns over the cost of fuel, your gear cost how much? Empty canisters are are recyclable. Oh, and on the subject, the 450gm cans contain more than twice than gas of 230gm cans.

Sleep mats. Well if you can do the math on my age you can understand that, while weight remains a consideration, a good nights sleep is now more of a priority so Exped it is (or any air mattress). Neo air is good in that regard, but having used both, the Exped is substantially better (although maybe not if I was still 30 or so). Amongst my other mats is a Thermarest Prolite 4, but once again, 7 cm of insulated comfort of the Downmat 7 (I'm a side sleeper) beats the low weight and 2.5cm of either the Prolite or Neo mats.

I'll pass. Most of them are too heavy and not being able to blow them up by mouth is a deal breaker for me.
Despite my age, I'll wager I can blow up my Exped Downmat UL with its shnozzle pump bag faster than anyone with a Neo air (or anything similar, and I'll even throw my Exped pillow into the contest) by mouth (although mouth is still a backup option with the Downmat). The Downmat also has a higher R factor (5.9 versus 4.9 for Neoair, but both bloody good) and since US Army studies have shown 30% of heat loss is through the ground, means I get away with a lighter down sleeping bag, making up for much of the difference in mat weight any way. The Neo air (regular) is 540g and Downmat (regular) is 855g. My Downmat 7 UL is 655g, still has an R value of 5.9 and includes repair kit. By comparison, the Neo XLite goes down to 350g but with a thermal rating of 3.2 (very ordinary in cold climes - OK in mild conditions) and still ordinary comfort for side sleepers. Horses for courses I guess.

See, I told you I was a nerd.

Last edited: