Tharawal-Appin area

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
As a mountainbiker (and part-time trail builder) I feel for the people who've put so much effort into building trails, only to have many, many hours of work destroyed in a few minutes by a thoughtless individual. The state of the track atm actually makes it difficult to ride in places; it's hard to corner effectively with 25cm deep ruts cutting through the track...

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
As a mountainbiker (and part-time trail builder) I feel for the people who've put so much effort into building trails, only to have many, many hours of work destroyed in a few minutes by a thoughtless individual. The state of the track atm actually makes it difficult to ride in places; it's hard to corner effectively with 25cm deep ruts cutting through the track...
I tend to agree... I don't want to get on any soap box, but I think the state of the track goes to show the riding and environmental benefits of the work that Crank and those others have carried out in the past. I rode it for the first time in a little while with perception that the area deals with water pretty well in the days after rain, however came to the conclusion that a big part of that perception should probably have been directed to that work as opposed to the natural environment.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If someone could email me some pics of what it's like out there at the moment that would be awesome. I'm in a position at the moment, and have been since November last year, that if I'm caught out there it could jeopardise any opportunity I have at getting mtbing formally back in the area. So I haven't visited since November. It's definitely getting me down a bit hearing stories about how bad it appears to be going with motos and 4wds destroying things. :(

willsy01

Eats Squid
Just wondering what state Appin is in at the moment? You know......if I was to inadvertantly stray onto the trail or something like that :whistle:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still officially closed at the moment. WMBC did some work on the crown land section to make a trail last Saturday but I haven't heard anything about how it went.

jhenry

Likes Bikes
Appin Trail Condition Update

For anyone interested in Appin trails and there condition.
Lost track: good
Top Track: Good but sandy
WMBC Race Loop: Good in most sections. First climb is good, single track and Abbott's loop all the way to bridge is good, bridge about to shit itself (hate to be the straw that breaks that camel's back) big climb after the bridge is mostly ok but some parts need real time spent on bringing them back to life, new section that replaced the fall line has massive ruts but otherwise ok, downhill run after that is good but really sandy in sections, climb near the end; well i never liked that newish section anyway, the last downhill section back to the car park needs some work.
Single Track behind Airport: really chewed up from moto's
Rock Wallaby section after lost track: ok but sandy
Other side of Appin rd: don't bother

I might try get some pics up soon.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Is this open again?

WMBC doesnt list anything but found a survey might be good for peeps to complete

http://wcc.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/limesurvey/index.php?sid=76339&lang=en

For anyone interested in Appin trails and there condition.
Lost track: good
Top Track: Good but sandy
WMBC Race Loop: Good in most sections. First climb is good, single track and Abbott's loop all the way to bridge is good, bridge about to shit itself (hate to be the straw that breaks that camel's back) big climb after the bridge is mostly ok but some parts need real time spent on bringing them back to life, new section that replaced the fall line has massive ruts but otherwise ok, downhill run after that is good but really sandy in sections, climb near the end; well i never liked that newish section anyway, the last downhill section back to the car park needs some work.
Single Track behind Airport: really chewed up from moto's
Rock Wallaby section after lost track: ok but sandy
Other side of Appin rd: don't bother

I might try get some pics up soon.

jhenry

Likes Bikes
No it's not officially open again. It's just a update of the trails for those interested in how it's holding out without a club maintaining it.

jhenry

Likes Bikes
Since the club have left Appin there has been two loads of rubbish dumped down the end of Burke st; both have had moto tyres in the piles, the padlock on the gate has been busted, I see half the amount of wallabies in the bush as the noise of the motos must drive them mental. Before a full day of mtb'ers you would struggle to pick up three pieces of rubbish, now a couple of moto's come and you can fill a plastic bag up with v's, red bull, monster can's and other junk around the trail head.
I guess the proof is in the pudding

jhenry

Likes Bikes
A pic of the bride. Doesn't seem to have any structural damage, just sagging from the weather. I'll prop it back up one day. The other two pics are a b4 n after of the bog section about 1km after the bridge where it dips down b4 the big step up rock. I just put down some rock armour. the rocks are actually much bigger than the photo suggests. I'll get some more up one day soon.IMG_0072.jpgIMG_0781.jpgIMG_0780.jpg