That old chestnut: chain dropping down off top cog when back pedaling

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve been running a 32 nw chainring with an XT 11-42 cassette and kmc x11 el chain. Chainline is 49 mm and after 6 months, the chain has started dropping when backpedalling. I have been rotating 2 chains and they have very little stretch at this stage. Is it timr for a new cassette? Perhaps rotating chainds isn’t such s great idea as each chain can be fitted 4 different ways.

I have read on some other forums that some riders have better success with sram chains?

Any tips to get a bit more life from my current cassette! Please hold on the “don’t back pedal” advice!

Cheers
CC

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those KMC el chains are a good chain but they seem to stretch a lot faster than the XT chains I've noticed.

Check that nothing has any play in it, like a loose rear through bolt. Badly worn cassettes normally give you a skipping chain in the lower gears.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Firstly...stop looking at other forums. You're part of the gang now and those other forums can suck a fart.

When did you last clean out inside your freehub? That can get a bit sticky sometimes. Also check your derailleur tune and the hanger alignment.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly...stop looking at other forums. You're part of the gang now and those other forums can suck a fart.

When did you last clean out inside your freehub? That can get a bit sticky sometimes. Also check your derailleur tune and the hanger alignment.
well I wouldn’t look at other forums if the search feature on this forum didn’t suck balls!

Everything is good re alignment. Chain has perhaps 1/3 link total stretch vs a new one. I tried a nee chain but the result was the same. Worst case scenario is I ditch the csssette!

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I realise you didn't want "don't pedal backwards" advice but are you looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't need solving? How often does the chain skip in this manner on a ride, does it not resolve itself by pedalling forwards again, how much does it really affect your riding experience? What's a new cassette worth $100-ish.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I realise you didn't want "don't pedal backwards" advice but are you looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't need solving? How often does the chain skip in this manner on a ride, does it not resolve itself by pedalling forwards again, how much does it really affect your riding experience? What's a new cassette worth $100-ish.
No it’s not a real issue, just a minor annoyance. I’m pretty particular about things running as they should. Creaks and squeaking in particular drive me nuts!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, worst case is you buy a new one, and chain, and it still happens. All mine do. I never backpedal in the biggest cog...but you don’t want to hear that.
Thanks Moorey, you’re right! I’ll probably just put up with it. I’m more curious as to why it went 5 odd months without any issues.

Btw, i don’t usually back pedal, it’s more an issue when I’m on a steep climb and have to dismount for whatever reason. I turn the crank backwards to remount and it drops down.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys, I’ll give a Sram chain a go and see what happens. I need a spare for my wifes bike anyhow so no loss if it doesn’t work. I”ll recheck everything just in case!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
just take out one link, also consider waxing your chain - much better than lube, as it doesn't get sticky anymore when you're using it. doesn't pick up dirt & shit & your litte jockey satys nice & clean [i tend to agree with morrey, WhyTF are peeps back peddlin whe you're not on a SS?]

PS i often buy the cheapest nastiest chains i can get my hands on - makes me feel dirty, u shouldn't need to change chains

how many hrs/km's have u done in 6 months?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
well I wouldn’t look at other forums if the search feature on this forum didn’t suck balls!

Everything is good re alignment. Chain has perhaps 1/3 link total stretch vs a new one. I tried a nee chain but the result was the same. Worst case scenario is I ditch the csssette!
Umm thats a lot of stretch. Between 0.75% and 1% is time to change the chain. Use a chain checker or check out Sheldon Brown and use a ruler.

Sram chains suck. Shimano are better. Plain jane Kmc x11 are good. Wipperman/Mavic and Rohloff are the best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Umm thats a lot of stretch. Between 0.75% and 1% is time to change the chain. Use a chain checker or check out Sheldon Brown and use a ruler.

Sram chains suck. Shimano are better. Plain jane Kmc x11 are good. Wipperman/Mavic and Rohloff are the best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Maybe 5mm over the total length. Chain checker doesn’t drop in at this stage.