That time of year... the snakes are out!!

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
There's an earlier post in this thread where Gordon (pictured above in his chair) admits that he had attempted to commit suicide using the snake on that night. Thank goodness because I'd hate to believe someone could be that persistently stupid.

And if you're thinking about negating the effects of snake venom with alcohol, you should really think twice. Alcohol makes things go BAD FAST with snakebite patients.

August is a good time for black snakes if the weather gets a little warm. They're getting keen for some sex and food after a few weeks of inactivity. I'm off to north Qld to do some snake research in a couple of weeks, they'll all be crankin' up there by then.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I had a black/brown jump at me the two weeks ago at Ourimbah on the roller coaster. Scared the living shit out of me. Not something i ever want to happen again either. He probably didnt have much of a chance at 30km/hr and like 90 cadence, but scary none the less!

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
I almost redecorated the interior of my shorts...
saw this roughly ten days ago its well over 8ft.

sorry about the size, she's a diamond/carpet python

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a black/brown jump at me the two weeks ago at Ourimbah on the roller coaster. Scared the living shit out of me. Not something i ever want to happen again either. He probably didnt have much of a chance at 30km/hr and like 90 cadence, but scary none the less!
I saw a smallish Goanna up there 2 weeks ago.......Thats one nasty reptile you will have a fair bit more trouble bunny hopping...and it was only a small one

I think this means I wont be stopping a Red Belly rock for rests anymore... :(

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's an earlier post in this thread where Gordon (pictured above in his chair) admits that he had attempted to commit suicide using the snake on that night. Thank goodness because I'd hate to believe someone could be that persistently stupid.

And if you're thinking about negating the effects of snake venom with alcohol, you should really think twice. Alcohol makes things go BAD FAST with snakebite patients.

August is a good time for black snakes if the weather gets a little warm. They're getting keen for some sex and food after a few weeks of inactivity. I'm off to north Qld to do some snake research in a couple of weeks, they'll all be crankin' up there by then.
Researching what?

McPete

Likes Dirt
I've started to see a few more snakes around the place too- two weekends ago, there was a decently sized snake that very much looked like a Red-Belly Black stretched out across Rixon's pass- Didn't see it until I was a few meters away and I wasn't able to slow down! It flicked up and then slithered away, probably with a slightly bad back now.

The other was yesterday, what looked like a small eastern brown- only caught a glimpse of it as it slithered away from me as I was climbing a recently cleared path in blade grass.

EndCredits

Likes Bikes
Ok, so your all scaring the shit out of me. Im a Kiwi and ive never seen a snake. Am I likely to see them around manly dam? or the oaks up in the blue mountains ??

Are they going to kill me if they see me?

This might sound dumb but what are you supposed to do if you see one or get bitten?

Caffeine

Likes Bikes
Ok, so your all scaring the shit out of me. Im a Kiwi and ive never seen a snake. Am I likely to see them around manly dam? or the oaks up in the blue mountains ??

This might sound dumb but what are you supposed to do if you see one or get bitten?
I've seen a large black snake on the oaks, it buggered off pretty quickly when it detected us.

Don't approach them, leave them to do their thing, and move away or wait till they leave.

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
That's not dumb at all. You are very unlikely to see a snake, but it's good to know the best way to manage interactions with snakes should you be fortunate enough to see one. The quote below should help you out:

Here's the good word, folks:

FIRSTLY: Don't touch snakes. Walk away a little and observe them if you want, but don't annoy them. Snakes can only crawl as fast as we can walk, although often we think otherwise. What they can do is strike faster than we can see, over their body length. This is very impressive to see. If you are within a body length of many snakes, they can strike and retract before you see it. Stay out of this critical strike range and you are safe. Some snakebites are hardly, or not even felt until afterwards.

Many snake bites do not result in envenoming. The rate of envenoming varies depending on the species of snake. Death Adders, for example, are notorious "dry-biters", they do not envenomate all the time, even though they have long fangs and sink them in deep. Brown snakes have tiny, tiny fangs (2mm) and often envenomate. All snakes have over 100 razor sharp teeth, these will leave bigger wounds than the fangs in many cases. You will not have a bite wound which looks like two fang punctures. It will look like a graze of sorts, more than likely.

Whether envenoming has occurred cannot be immediately determined when the patient presents. This means all suspected snake bites must be triaged as a medical emergency and observed for a sufficient period of time in a hospital with adequate supplies of antivenom and laboratory facilities. Immediate expert advice can be obtained from the Poisons Information Centre network (phone 13 11 26).

First aid:

The bite site should not be washed so that the area can be swabbed for venom detection. Pressure immobilisation is the recommended first aid treatment for all snake bites.

A broad (15 cm) bandage is applied at the same pressure as for a sprained ankle over the entire limb. The patient must then remain completely immobilised, not just the bitten limb. For bites on areas other than limbs the patient should be immobilised to slow the spread of venom.

If you have no bandage, use strips of cloth or whole items of clothing.

Pressure immobilisation should only be removed once the patient is in a hospital stocked with antivenom. If the patient is envenomed, pressure immobilisation can be removed once antivenom therapy has commenced. If the patient has no clinical or laboratory signs of envenoming, the bandage can be removed if antivenom and resuscitation equipment are available.

Accurate, up to date advice and information is available at these sites:

http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_snake.html

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html

http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/29/5/125/9/

PLEASE LEAVE SNAKES ALONE, OBSERVE AND ENJOY THEM, DON'T FEAR THEM, AND YOU WILL NOT BE BITTEN (unless very, very unlucky :p).

EndCredits

Likes Bikes
Thanks for posting that up Captain Sensible :) I figured it might be something every one knows, hence I felt a bit dumb asking.

I read through the links as well. Cal me paranoid but I added the poison centers number to my emergency numbers in my phone :)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

There are lots of riders (and bushwalkers) who don't know of snakes and then never ever see them. I knew a fisherman who fished the Threbo River for years and only when I mentioned the snakes did he suddenly start noticing the very large number of them around. I've always noticed them after nearly stepping on them a few times as a kid while my parents didn't believe they existed.

In the snakey months I ride a bit slower and am conscious of them possibly being around. On fire trails they are usually easy to spot and avoid. Single track you usually spot them at the last minute which can be a bit more iffy. The only snake I accidently rode over and feel bad about was on a sealed road.

Usually when you meet them they just slither away or just sit still and don't seem to give a stuff that you are there. Very few times have I seen them be aggressive which really consists of them raising up basically saying "f&*k off and leave me alone!". No matter what they are doing I am always moving away.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
There are lots of riders (and bushwalkers) who don't know of snakes and then never ever see them. I knew a fisherman who fished the Threbo River for years and only when I mentioned the snakes did he suddenly start noticing the very large number of them around. I've always noticed them after nearly stepping on them a few times as a kid while my parents didn't believe they existed.

In the snakey months I ride a bit slower and am conscious of them possibly being around. On fire trails they are usually easy to spot and avoid. Single track you usually spot them at the last minute which can be a bit more iffy. The only snake I accidently rode over and feel bad about was on a sealed road.

Usually when you meet them they just slither away or just sit still and don't seem to give a stuff that you are there. Very few times have I seen them be aggressive which really consists of them raising up basically saying "f&*k off and leave me alone!". No matter what they are doing I am always moving away.
I still haven't beaten last years record of 7 snakes in one day(morning), i was first on the trail, Grose Head, then down to Blue Gum Swamp, 5 red bellies, 1 brown snake that was racing me up the hill, and 1 i have no idea what it was, it was a very hot morning and it left me very nervous at the end of the ride!
I had always come across red bellies, but never in those numbers, all were suntanning, i actually hit the biggest one as he tried to avoid me but we both went in the same direction, Moggio explained to me that frogs could be a source of why so many Red Bellies, Gruntled/Captain Sensible may be able to shed more light on this?..the brown was up on the dry ridge, while the red bellies were down in the rainforest/swamp area!

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Sometimes you just get lucky. I found 17 red bellies in an hour one morning. It just happens when the Snake God smiles on the Earth, and mysterious things come together to bring the snakes out. Cool nights followed by a warm morning, previous rain to get the amphibians moving, planetary alignments, stock prices in New York, all these things may play a part, but we still don't know.

One night in North Queensland I found 13 snakes from 9 species in 2 hours, driving a 5 km section of road. Was a shitty, windy, rainy night. I wasn't expecting to see anything! That was an unusual drive.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Sometimes you just get lucky. I found 17 red bellies in an hour one morning. It just happens when the Snake God smiles on the Earth, and mysterious things come together to bring the snakes out. Cool nights followed by a warm morning, previous rain to get the amphibians moving, planetary alignments, stock prices in New York, all these things may play a part, but we still don't know.

One night in North Queensland I found 13 snakes from 9 species in 2 hours, driving a 5 km section of road. Was a shitty, windy, rainy night. I wasn't expecting to see anything! That was an unusual drive.
Finding snakes in nq, i would be shitting myself that everything would be a taipan!:eek:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I love your completely different perspective on snakes to us. Personally I would be happy to never see one again while riding, bushwalking or crossing Lake Jindabyne on a boat.

If only the good lord above could make sure they disappeared for us in these circumstances and made them flock to you like you were the pied piper.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I love your completely different perspective on snakes to us. Personally I would be happy to never see one again while riding, bushwalking or crossing Lake Jindabyne on a boat.
I don't mind seeing them. Mostly

the two notable exceptions,
1: topping out on lead out at Shara Point. Poked my head up above the cliff line only to come face to face with a red belly sunning itself about 2" from the cliff edge...

2: doing the traverse out of the bottom of Rock Creek. It's an easy, if somewhat exposed climb, and we decided to not rope up. Half way up something popped it head out of a crack right on the main route. Strangest coloured snake I have ever seen, sort of a mottley purple.

It disappeared back in to the crack but as we were half way up a cliff face and didn't know where that crack lead hand holds were grasped rather gingerly the rest of the way up.

Besides it's usually the ones you don't see that will get you

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Finding snakes in nq, i would be shitting myself that everything would be a taipan!:eek:
It does keep you on your toes, for sure. But browns are meaner, they just go psychotic when you touch them. Taipans tend to look at you as if to say "Do you realise who I am?", and then go psychotic. Here's one I prepared earlier:

Oxyuranusscutellatus,Kirrama.jpg

Moggio, I wish you could send those snakes flocking to me too :) They're too scarce for my liking.

thecat, it's possible that the wierd mottled snake you saw was somewhere in its shedding cycle, which can make darker coloured snakes appear purple and odd. Geez, imagine grabbing a snake at the top of a climb. My mate got bitten by a death adder that way. He was OK. I put my hand on a Burtons Legless Lizard one day when climbing up beside a waterfall, and it scared the heck out of me :eek:

EndCredits

Likes Bikes
Im starting to think im living in the wrong country :)

My sister got me $500 worth of diving lessons last Christmas, few days later some guy and his dad went diving and saw his dad get taken by a great white.

My flat mate just told me that auz has 9/10 of the top ten most deadly snakes.