The 2008 Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in Canberra website is now live.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Canberra is gearing up to host the 2008 Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Canberra Presented by Shimano, at Stromlo Forest Park on the 30/31 August and CORC World Events are please to announce the launch of the official event website.

Read more...

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
Canberra is gearing up to host the 2008 Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano in Canberra, at Stromlo Forest Park on the 30/31 August and CORC World Events are please to announce the launch of the official event website.

The website www.mtbworlds.com.au contains everything you need to know about the biggest Mountain Biking event that Australia will host in 2008. The web side includes racing schedules, course information, support events, where to ride in Canberra, how to volunteer, and travel and visa information. Companies wanting to showcase their product, technical support teams, UCI official teams and individual riders can all purchase space in the village online via the website and you can also register to be part of our volunteer team.

The World Cup is brought to you by CORC World Events a subsidiary of Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC), Australia largest Mountain Bike Club. CORC delivers over 60 races throughout the year in and around Canberra.

Well known course builder Glen Jacobs is has been busy crafting new tracks and making changes to existing ones at Stromlo Forest Park in preparation for the World Cup. To stay in touch with all the World Cup developments sign up for the newsletter. The monthly newsletter will keep you up to date will all of the course developments, who is riding and exhibiting, village activities and our sponsors and you could event get a chance to win VIP tickets and other prizes.

The World Cup weekend is not just about the elite riders, although they will be a great spectacle, if you don’t have the UCI points or just want to have a punt around the track you can register via the website for the non elite races. Or if you want to help CORC deliver a race that no one will forget register to volunteer.

The World Cup is being held at Stromlo Forest Park on the 30/31 August and will be Mountain Bikings biggest party for 2008.

For further information please log on to www.mtbworlds.com.au

MEDIA CONTACT
Kimberlee Philip
Earlybird Marketing and Events
P: 0405 675 583
E: Media@theearlybird.com.au

Last edited:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Scored a nifty Maladjusted Cycles vest from my stint the nationals - wonder if I'll get anything this time.
Thanks for signing up :) Yep, the volunteers for the World Cup will al be receiving special clothing (which will be able to be worn "in public"). When you're on duty as a volunteer you will have a special vest to indicate that.

The work has started on the UCI required mods to the finish of the 4X/DHI course (see attached photos of the pipe). This will form a jump at the end of the course, prior to 2 step down rock walls into the finish.

The XCO course goes through the pipe. The XCO climb out of Blue Gums to the DHI Bridge has been built - but please don't ride it until we get some water on it ;)

Attachments

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Thanks for signing up :) Yep, the volunteers for the World Cup will al be receiving special clothing (which will be able to be worn "in public"). When you're on duty as a volunteer you will have a special vest to indicate that.

The work has started on the UCI required mods to the finish of the 4X/DHI course (see attached photos of the pipe). This will form a jump at the end of the course, prior to 2 step down rock walls into the finish.

The XCO course goes through the pipe. The XCO climb out of Blue Gums to the DHI Bridge has been built - but please don't ride it until we get some water on it ;)
Bit off topic, but how did today's working bee go?

Had hoped to go but the wife dragged me off to a Cub thing.

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Bit off topic, but how did today's working bee go?

Had hoped to go but the wife dragged me off to a Cub thing.
The working bee went VERY well. While I have yet to get a debrief from the other team leaders as to what specific bits they fixed (on top of the big-ticket items we had in our sights), I can tell you that a number of ongoing niggly issues were (hopefully) finally put to rest.

We had 26 on the RSVP list, but 36 turned up to swing the mattocks in anger.

Full report will be posted to the CORC website in the comign days.

Astro

Corty

Likes Dirt

Looks like someone missed the "keep trail clear" signage ;) Nah just saw it today and it appears to be bunted off further up the 4X track.

Also now we've had a few days rain around Weston Creek how's the new climb shaping up? Open for wannbe UCI punters yet?

Props to the XC course designers, the plan looks excellent and should showcase some of the hard yards put in by CORC trails & Glen Jacobs crew.

Sam!!

Likes Dirt
Thanks for signing up :)

like fort williams?

S.

ex offender
Are they charging spectators for entry? I had a look on the site but couldn't find anything.

Le Matelot

Are they charging spectators for entry? I had a look on the site but couldn't find anything.
There will be a cost for admission, but it will cover more than just "entry". Prices have not been finalised but as an example (remember - this may change):

a $10 daily ticket will get you into the event, into the main grandstands, plus rides on the free bus to the top of Mt Stromlo (the Stromlo access road will be closed to public transport).

a $20 daily ticket will get you everything the $10 ticket does, plus a park'n'ride option from Canberra's main bus interchanges.

scblack

Leucocholic
a $20 daily ticket will get you everything the $10 ticket does, plus a park'n'ride option from Canberra's main bus interchanges.
What is that, and is there one from Queanbeyan?

So the $20 ticket gets you a bus to Stromlo,plus entry?

indica

Serial flasher
Accommodation

Can anyone recommend anything for a family of four .... our kids are 3 and 6 and we will be there for sure!

Le Matelot

Can anyone recommend anything for a family of four .... our kids are 3 and 6 and we will be there for sure!
Yes - there will be kids prices and also family packages.

In terms of pricing for these sort of events, I have attached what the prices were for Scotland last September - remember multiply these by 2.05 to get $Aus.

Now, don't get scared by the Sep 07 prices... On the other hand, the World Cups this year seem to have a basic entry (no transport) cost of around 5 Euro per adult per day, which equals about $8.20.

Attachments

Last edited:

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi sorry for asking a dumb question but will u guys still be hosting the Worlds in 2009? Or did i get my facts wrong?

Le Matelot

will u guys still be hosting the Worlds in 2009?
Yes...

World Cup Round 30-31 August 2008

World Championships 1-6 September 2009

Both at Stromlo Forest Park, interspersed with:
. BMC Working Week 8Hr 24 Aug 08
. ACT (australian) Schools MTB Champs 26 Aug 08
. CORC's 24Hr 11/12 Oct 08
. the National Champs there in Jan 08
. CORC's 24Hr Oct 09

S.

ex offender
Cheers for that, sounds alright.

BTW your name, "Le Matelot" - isn't that French for "The Matelot"? :)