The !2009! Thread

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The !2009! Thread

I'm getting rather sick of all these threads regarding 2009 gear popping up all over the place, and it's only gunna get worse, so I figured 1 thread covering all new bikes and gear would be a great solution.

Got any 09 info? Post it here, try and keep pictures as thumbnails, saving waiting ages while page loads - this should get rather big, Interbike is only just around the corner!

I'll start by posting all the decent 2009 info already on Farkin -

-2009 Giant Glory (with 09 componentry)
-2009 Trek Session 88 DH & FR (with 09 componentry)
-2009 Avid Elixir
-New Shimano Saint rear mech (similiar to shadow technology)
-New 09 Commencal bikes
-2009 (or prototype) Labyrinth Minotaur DH
-2009 Mongoose Nugget - slopestyle rig
-2009 Giant XTC
-2009 STP's (1 and 2 respectively)
-2009 Scott Genius
-And I think the 09 (or at least prototype) Morewood DH rig

Post Away!

Attachments

Last edited:

Trenton

Likes Dirt
2009 Models already thought of?! They look sweet as so far.

Can't wait to see the 09 Norco's:D

Good thinking about creating this thread mate!

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good idea mate. cant wait to for interbike. should be some neat rigs popping up. but whereabouts are the 09 commencals all i can see are 08's? could you maybe post a direct link

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good idea mate. cant wait to for interbike. should be some neat rigs popping up. but whereabouts are the 09 commencals all i can see are 08's? could you maybe post a direct link
Page doesn't want to work with me, but have you tried following the Bike link?

Found these though -

09 Animal/Commencal DH
09 Commencal Mini DH
09 Commencal Absolut range (with 07's on the far left)

Attachments

Last edited:

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's the 09 Norco 5 that Boyko is prototyping at the moment, this will be released next year with possibly 2 build specs and as a frame only.

When you win the Crankworx Slopestyle your stock rockets through the roof. There's probably no better way to make your sponsor smile these days - so Norco has rewarded Ben with a Slopestyle bike designed exactly to his specifications; the Norco Five. At Crankworx Ben was on a Norco Six and because of the way the genre of slopestyle is developing he felt that a few changes could make the bike even better for most courses. The Five is the culmination of that effort. I had a chance to talk to Ben about the bike and how it came to be.

NSMB - Can you tell me what you were shooting for with the design?

Ben Boyko - The point was to design a bike that would match today's slopestyle bike courses. Seeing as slopestyle courses these days seem to be getting more technical and moving more towards dirt jump courses, I needed a bike that would be better for dirt jumping but still be able to absorb a 25 ft drop. I figured a five inch travel bike with a steeper head tube, lower bb, shorter back end with a five inch fork would be an perfect for newer style courses. My six is perfect for big step downs but a little to plush and slack for dirt jumping and technical tricks. Seeing as the 4X is too small for big drops, I designed a bike that was between the 4X and the Six, I think there is an entire world of mountain biking to be done with the bike that is in between two old school purposes.

NSMB - What is important in a bike for Slopestyle?

Ben Boyko - What is important in a bike for slopestyle changes every course. Back in the day, who ever had the biggest bike could make it to the bottom in one piece. The times have changed to more technical stunts and alot of dirt jumps. Courses are all different and the required bikes range anywhere from a hard tail to a 7" freeride bike. I think you can have an average slopestyle bike as long as the course has a good average of mountain bike style jumps mixed with mountain bike style stunts and step downs. Seeing that there has been an increased rate of riders wanting to have input into the courses, I think the course builders will be doing a better job of making a happy average course. I do think things will be getting a little smaller, more technical jumps, steeper landings and tighter which is why me and Charles designed the Five.

NSMB - What other riding situations will the five be suited to?

Ben Boyko - Dirt jumping, fourcross racing, Slopestyle, A line, jumps, trails and basically everything a 4" bike would be used for.

Right now there are 10 of these frames in the world and they will only be available for Norco Factory Team riders and selected test pilots. In 2009 you can expect to see the Five in the Norco line as a frame only and as a complete bike - possibly in two trim levels. Because of the low shock placement the bike will not be front derailleur compatible.
More here

There are also rumours of a Ti-XC frame from Norco, if memory serves me right...sounds interesting.

Attachments

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sorry forgot to attach them
Hey mate, just a tip..
Stop posting before you dig yourself a hole that you can't get out of.

EDIT: You sir are the biggest idiot ever.. you attached the same fucking images as the guy above you. You might think your cool but your not.

Last edited:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a hella good idea. good work brettyG, i really don't have anything to add that isn't already known from the otehr threads, but props for craming it all up in one thread, very good idea!

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is every one forgetting about the 2009 Shimano Saint Brake-set
very shmick looking and will complement the new rear derailler and front crankset.
cheers,
Josh
Ps Pics in latest AMB

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
trek DH bike

its a lot like a Kona Stab, but still cool.
thumbs up to trek for making a flower from a fat turd

Simmo.

Likes Dirt
Great idea mate.
09 STP 2 in black, I think you missed this one.
Looking forward to this STP, starting to save for one already.:) (Or maybe a second hand, previous year's one, I'll see later on.)