The 3 Peaks Challenge - Anyone Done It?

scblack

Leucocholic
Interesting comment re: Contador above. Anyone know if its normal for pros to run such a low gear ratio?
It is not normal, especially for Contador who is one of the best climbers of all. It was set up for him on that one stage, which had exceptionally steep sections, that were not short either.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
on an 8kg roadie I've found 27 on the rear and 39 up front is fine for climbs like Baw Baw, Falls, Mt Buffalo, T/Gap, I'll do all my training with this set up, now the Back of Falls worries me a bit (10%) + a 100ks on legs, so I could fit a compact crank for a 34/27 option, on the other hand if I have the climbing fitness I've had no issues in the past on 39/27. It is a bit of a personal thing and 'torque' can be more beneficial up a climb than spinning mainly cause spinning can blow you up cardio wise.
Correct me here but
Spinning puts more load on the heart and lungs but saves the legs. The thought is the heart and lungs can operate at a higher continuous load and can recover a lot quicker and more effectively than the legs.
Grinding loads the legs which can can choke and struggle to recover. Also grinding uses lots of glucose in the muscles which is the dead feeling, These need a lot of rest to recover.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct me here but
Spinning puts more load on the heart and lungs but saves the legs. The thought is the heart and lungs can operate at a higher continuous load and can recover a lot quicker and more effectively than the legs.
Grinding loads the legs which can can choke and struggle to recover. Also grinding uses lots of glucose in the muscles which is the dead feeling, These need a lot of rest to recover.
think spinning vs grinding is more about what an individual rider can sustain depending on their preferred method of climbing. some spin for their optimal power and energy efficiency on a climb, some grind or spin at a slower cadence. if your heart rate is in the anaerobic zone too long you're stuffed no matter what you're doing.

the lower cadence gets you more distance per turn of the crank and maybe more recovery per spin - of course it's harder to turn a bigger gear. then again you can spin to a point where your power curve is diminished so there's a limit to that method as well.

can't underestimate the torque requirement on a climb, think also a good climber has a range of methods to get up a climb and that includes spinning, grinding and frequently standing with good technique. on a climb every bit of your riding technique is exposed whether its good or bad. and then there's the mental part.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the MTB101

I have always been a grinder, Massive thighs and calves to back it.

Anyway have started suffering knee issues and getting invovled with long rides.

HAve started spinning hills and stopped sprinting them and found two significant things.

1: Sore knees have gone even thou my riding has increased significantly
2: Power and speed at the end of a long ride has significantly increased. Eg after 250km and I am still looking for PR's on strava.

The downside is my sprinting ability and power on hills has gone but hills are way faster.

Eg 15min hill now takes a minute longer but I can now do 5 laps back to back.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Correct me here but
Personal preferences aside, that is the accepted understanding and supported by the science. Becomes even more important if you have bio-mechanical issues (prone to sore knees, lowerback, etc).

Traditional Audax bikes aimed for a low gear between 30 -35 inch roll out. Contador's super low setup is 33 and a 34/27 combo around 35.

Back in the day we had to run triples to get that without compromising top gear and gear jumps but now with 10sp compacts are the go.

Last edited:

toby

Likes Dirt
I've run a non-compact, 26 at the back combo for three peaks and it's fine... The last climb is long but never ran out of gears.

Im training down there next week and prefer a 53 for the fast descents!

akashra

Eats Squid
There's plenty of Elite men MTBers/A grade roadies in that list who didn't break the 10hr mark.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I was planning on using that fact on the day to manage my crushed ego.

I would still like to give it a go. You never know. Have 5 months training time. Good family relationship and a bunch of bikes.

Potentially anything is possible, Reality I am sure will be different.

Last edited:

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Think I'll probably give it a go too, and the 10 hr mark would certainly be something to aim for. But unfortunately for me that's most likely out of the question - going from zero endurance base to A grade roadie in 5 months is a big ask :)

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know where last years or the 2010 results are?

Actually any previous results.

Last edited: