The 4X thread.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey man, jumping from 170's straight to 180's is gunna feel weird, but for your height not uncommon. The Crupi Rhythms are a sweet crank however, I'm not sure how stiff they'd stay in a 4x context considering the higher impacts and stresses they'd be under? Still a very sexy crank.

DXR's are a bmx race specific and pimping but currently a rip off, you get the same from the older style saints (and even the newer style) and buckets cheaper.

If your hearts set on the Rhythms at all you can pick up a set from J&R for US$190 for cranks only and BB for extra $60 or pimp it further with a King or Hawk BB for $130. Jenson USA will have similar prices too. DXR's of course are on CRC!

Hope this helps!
yeah, i agree with you about dxr's! they're rediculiously priced!
I'm expecting for it to feel weird, but i probably should have been riding a longer crank since i bought cranks. Yeah im not to sure how they'd go under 4x conditions but Leigh darrell ran a pair last year at world champs so i guess they would go fine.
If i could still get an old style pair of saints i would , simple because they actually make the longer lengths.
Thanks for your help :)
EDIT, will they actually fit my morewood enza frame?

Last edited:

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
depends on your BB shell.. whats the enza?
pretty sure is a 63/73mm bb, but there is no information provided on the crupi website about the size of the bb, hence i asked. So maybe i need to ask if anyone has any experience with these cranks ?

racebmx

Likes Dirt
crupi cranks are 73mm so need the three spacers. dxr cranks are similar to the old style saints. yes they are definately overpriced but they have one important benefit, they have a 68mm wide spindle. this means they sit in the middle on bmx bikes unlike saints etc which sit closer to one side then the other.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
crupi cranks are 73mm so need the three spacers. dxr cranks are similar to the old style saints. yes they are definately overpriced but they have one important benefit, they have a 68mm wide spindle. this means they sit in the middle on bmx bikes unlike saints etc which sit closer to one side then the other.
AHHH thats what the upside is!That is fairly important. Still couldn't warrent spending that sort of money on cranks, although if i had the money i would.
Thanks for your info on the crupi's, off to order a set soon

k_d

Likes Dirt
just sayin, got a new set of gears a week or so ago (thanks josh) and if anyone is in the market for a med range set, i would highly reccoment what ive got, runs so good with real snappy shifting that i can crank through hard without any troubles.. spec is as follows

deore shifter (slx was o.o.s.)
105 mech (sooooooooooo sleek)
tiagra cassette 13-25(?)
ultegra chain

runs really good, only like 140 for all of taht stuff so its cheap too
I ran a similar setup and found that the deraileur was really noisy, regardless if it was on my dualy or ht.

Best value for money upgrade on a 4x bike IMO = XTR inner and outer gear cable, so smooth its crazy.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran a similar setup and found that the deraileur was really noisy, regardless if it was on my dualy or ht.

Best value for money upgrade on a 4x bike IMO = XTR inner and outer gear cable, so smooth its crazy.
Yer or a flak jacket kit if you run sram... Can make some systems better, but also if you have a shit derail. to begin with there's not alot that will really do ay.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone used middleburn RS7 cranks for 4x? Or any 'extreme' riding? They seem to be fairly popular for trials use. And the warranty covers them for pretty much anything. And they're ridiculously light - 431g for the arms. Only downsides I can see are that you need a spider and an internal BB - both which add to the weight.

Cranks - 431g
Spider - 50g
BB - 200g
Chainring - 40g

It still comes to a shade over 700 grams. Which considerably lighter than SLX's.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The r7 is supposed to go pretty well. A mate of mine had a set for a while, light and they rode no complaints. The isis style bb would probably have less resistance than that of the external bb shimanos too.... if you wanted to get technical

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My current, temporary build -

Photo! P9022827.jpg

Frame - Banshee Amp Long w/ ISCG 05 & Intergrated headtube
Headset - FSA
Forks - Rockshox Reba XX 100mm White
Bars - Sunline
Stem - Sunline All Mountain 50mm
Brakes - Avid Elixir CR Carbon w/ G3 160mm Rotors
Grips - Jet Black gold clamp
Shifter - Sram XO Redwin Red
Cable - Goodridge Carbon
Derailleur - Sram XO Redwin Red - Short Cage
Cassette - Sram Cutsom PC950 - 5 speed 19,17,16,15,14
Chain - Sram PC950
Chainguide - E13 LG1+ Black
Cranks - Truvativ Stylo - 175mm
Chainring - E13 Guidering Black 36t
Pedals Flat - Nukeproof
Pedals Clip - Crankbros Smarty Orange
Seat - Ragley
Seatpost - Tioga 30.9
Temporary Wheels -
Shimano XT/Giant Tracker
Mavic EN521
DT Swiss Competition
DT Swiss Brass Black
Tyres - Rendez/Larsen
Tubes - Continental

Chainring bolts - Brand X Gold
Stem Spacers - Brand X Red/Silver

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how are the EN521's, im looking at getting a new front wheel built with one of them on a nukeproof hub?

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how are the EN521's, im looking at getting a new front wheel built with one of them on a nukeproof hub?
The wheels actually came off my Giant Reign and I replaced them with a set of Nukeproof wheels. The rims are bloody strong, and quite light (520grams?) for what they are: an all mountain rim. For a front rim, you could even go a bit lighter with a rim around 450grams but either way, this Mavic is awesome. As for nukeproof hubs - Super smooth bearings in mine (front and rear) and for the rear the hub system is just spectacular - it even has a nice sound...mmmmm..

What do you guys think about 180mm cranks for 4x? (I think I'll start racing soon) Would 180 be too long? I'm planning to do a little DH and street with them as well.

Thanks,

Dan

birdman

Likes Dirt
hey guys im looking at a new set of cramks to go with the frame i'm looking at (iddenity krisis sl) and was thinking about bmx cranks for something a bit different so i've got a few questions

options
1 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47078
2 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40828
3 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46230

questions
1 will they be strong enough for 4x
2 a what size axle does a standard mtb bb need
b can you buy addaptors to make a 19/22 axle fit a standard bb
3 will they fit with a chain guide (non bb mount)
what is the best option of the above cranks

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bmx bottom bracket, adapter cups with a euro BB and cranks

+chainguide

HOW?
See below.

hey guys im looking at a new set of cramks to go with the frame i'm looking at (iddenity krisis sl) and was thinking about bmx cranks for something a bit different so i've got a few questions

options
1 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47078
2 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40828
3 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46230

questions
1 will they be strong enough for 4x
2 a what size axle does a standard mtb bb need
b can you buy addaptors to make a 19/22 axle fit a standard bb
3 will they fit with a chain guide (non bb mount)
what is the best option of the above cranks
Generally, you can't run chainguides with bmx cranks. With heavy modification and Profile 3/32'' bmx sprocket (bmx sprockets don't fit geared chains) or a profile spider you might be able too. There is no real gain of running bmx cranks for 4x, so I don't know why you would bother.

You're better off with a pair of mtb cranks.

If you REALLY want to run bmx cranks the powderbites are the pick of that bunch. Strongest cranks in the business. My pick of BMX cranks though are either profile race cranks or wethepeople royal's.

As for the bb, you need a euro bottom bracket - providing the identiti takes standard mtb bb's. As you can see on the page you can spec whether you want 19 or 22mm

birdman

Likes Dirt
See below.

Generally, you can't run chainguides with bmx cranks. With heavy modification and Profile 3/32'' bmx sprocket (bmx sprockets don't fit geared chains) or a profile spider you might be able too. There is no real gain of running bmx cranks for 4x, so I don't know why you would bother.

You're better off with a pair of mtb cranks.

If you REALLY want to run bmx cranks the powderbites are the pick of that bunch. Strongest cranks in the business. My pick of BMX cranks though are either profile race cranks or wethepeople royal's.

As for the bb, you need a euro bottom bracket - providing the identiti takes standard mtb bb's. As you can see on the page you can spec whether you want 19 or 22mm
http://www.renthal.com/File/cycle_chainrings_bmx.asp

Features

• Computer aided Ultralite™ design enables the ultimate combination of strength and lightness

• High strength 7075-T6 aluminum alloy provides excellent longevity

• Precision CNC machined to extremely tight tolerances.

• Hard anodised surface coating for increased longevity.

3/32 ", 8sp, 23.8mm Axle Hole with aluminium alloy adaptors for 19mm and 22mm axles

• 28T= 55g

• 25T,27T, 28T, 30T and 32T available

would this work

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Undecided about wheels for my Banshee (possibly soon to be Commencal).
What options do I have, I want it to preferably be a 10mm rear axle and a 15/QR front.

Options so far are:

• EX1750s
  • Nukeproof hubs on Spank Oozy rims
  • ???Help!???

Edit: Can you get Mavic from CRC? it says not available outside the EU?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
would this work
I'm not saying it's hard to find a 3/32 bmx sprocket. It's hard getting it all to fit. BMX sprockets are wider than mtb chainrings - even if they're 3/32. The mounting system for the sprocket doesn't always clear the chainguide and the cranks don't always clear the chainguide.

Why do you want to run a bmx crank?

Undecided about wheels for my Banshee (possibly soon to be Commencal).
What options do I have, I want it to preferably be a 10mm rear axle and a 15/QR front.

Edit: Can you get Mavic from CRC? it says not available outside the EU?
Do you have to have matching front and back wheels? Often the best front hub isn't always the best rear hub.

Hope Pro2 front or Nukeproof
Ck, profile, hadley or DT 440 on the back.
Stans Flow or Arch rim's are very good. Strong and Ridiculously light.

You should be able to get mavic's off CRC, i know plenty of people who have.