The 4X thread.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Sorry to cut in on the fork business ( you'll be stoked if you get the x-fusion, ive got the vengeance HLR and love it..)

but anyways, how many 4x races are there in Aus, and tracks? could any break down the national series and the locations of the other races, would be greatly appreciated.

Would be interesting to know about with the phantom coming out and all for us, got to find out whether it's worth finding a test pilot for that and the Harlem once we get the DH team up and running smoothly.

Last edited:

camtb

Likes Dirt
There isn't a whole lot of races in Aus, I know there is the rocky trail entertainment (Red ass) in NSW and a few in ACT, aswell as the sunshine series in QLD..

Just looking at it before and the phantom looks sick, haven't seen the harlem, I'll have a look later..

I know a lot of people who race 4X (including myself) have just started racing and riding bmx instead due to lack of races, but a lot of people from downhill are starting to race bmx as training for 4X, hopefully with a few mtb'ers at bmx race nights we might have a few bmxers out at 4X races..

Has anyone else noticed how unpopular 4X is? It really puzzles me, considering it's the most exciting to ride and watch (I ride as much as I can of everything, mainly dh) it's kind of weird. :confused:

Downhill Hooligan

Likes Bikes
what about the x fusion enix forks? the budget isnt huge at the moment so would they do the job, i could get the velvets but for a longer wait and more work. has anyone used them?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There isn't a whole lot of races in Aus, I know there is the rocky trail entertainment (Red ass) in NSW and a few in ACT, aswell as the sunshine series in QLD..

Just looking at it before and the phantom looks sick, haven't seen the harlem, I'll have a look later..

I know a lot of people who race 4X (including myself) have just started racing and riding bmx instead due to lack of races, but a lot of people from downhill are starting to race bmx as training for 4X, hopefully with a few mtb'ers at bmx race nights we might have a few bmxers out at 4X races..

Has anyone else noticed how unpopular 4X is? It really puzzles me, considering it's the most exciting to ride and watch (I ride as much as I can of everything, mainly dh) it's kind of weird. :confused:
Yeah, there is so many 4X racers that have gone to BMX or at least racing a MTB class at the BMX clubs

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm one of those. Consistant nights at the bmx track and at least one race on in Australia ever week! Awesome stuff.

My Plans so far are to race -

• 4X National series (Only Hobart is announced)
  • Red Ass 4X series
BMX -

• As much of the Probikx as I can (missed Mackay due to my bmx getting stolen!)
  • NSW Regionals
  • Every club round at my local track + as many as possible at my other local track (not on as frequently)
As you can see, BMX is much, much easier to have frequent racers. I hate to be the first to put my hand up Sethius, but I'd love to be considered as a test pilot. I don't have any 4X racing as such under my belt, but have been riding the bigger wheels alot longer then BMX. I'm 17 so depending what race I'm at you can guess the class (usually U19's). Give us a yell what you're looking out for and I'm more then happy to help!

Your other option is I think QLD has a reasonable amount of 4X races happening around the year but I could be wrong!

camtb

Likes Dirt
Yeah, its awesome, in SA we have a practice night or a club round somewhere every night of the week, the bmx scene here is pretty awesome!

We even have a retro series which is pretty cool, but no 4X rounds in SA, ever :(

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, We have Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays with the odd extra gate night thrown in once a month! It's pretty good, but not as good as you guys! I recently had two training sessions with Luke Madill which was awesome and about to have another with Alex Cameron and another with Brock Murray! Pretty pumped, but anyway, this is the 4X thread! Who else here is racing nats or the red ass series? I'd be interested in meeting some of you!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah parker the sunshine series should have been announced by now... apparently there is issues with funds/sponsors though (thats what i heard)

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im not really using my stp as what im building it for (4X) so im thinking of changing it to a short travel dually that can basically do 4x, easy xc, all mountain and light dh. id be just swapping frames and keeping all the parts that are on my stp. the sort of frames im looking at are reign, pitch, corsair marque etc. is there any point in building up a short travel dually for 4x as you really don’t need it but i cant justify having just a bike for 4x that doesn’t get used "properly" but i still want a bike that i could use and occasionally race for 4x. also what’s some other decent dually frames that are cheapish to get 2nd hand?

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I understand what you're wanting, but DS for 4X sucks for Australian tracks. Our tracks are generally like big bmx tracks - reasonably smooth and uncomplicated. Take a look at the trance if you're considering buying Giant - 5" and more versatile for 4X/Hard XC.

camtb

Likes Dirt
I'll be racing the nationals in under 17's which should be fun, hopefully I can go alright, I'll be on a cove sanchez (most people know the bike, connor fearons old one) wearing a 2624bikes jersey and using ridiculously wide bars.

Does anyone know the rules for 4X regarding bikes and SS, I'm not that keen on gears, I feel I can get just as much power out of the gate with a single speed setup with gearing hard enough for the rest of the track. I feel hell sketchy with gears after riding single speed haha.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt

There already are a few bmx racers at 4x races! well atleast in NSW there is.
I dont know why the people that orginise 4x dont get the bmx clubs to get there guys to come ride 4x. I know a heap of bmxers that are hell keen to race 4x, they dont know where to do it though. And i'm sure they'd love the idea of beat mtbers at their own game!

camtb

Likes Dirt
I'm hoping we don't get bmx'ers, none of us mtbers would have a chance! haha, just joking, hopefully some of them come out and try it!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm hoping we don't get bmx'ers, none of us mtbers would have a chance! haha, just joking, hopefully some of them come out and try it!
but not too many, I still want to get a good placing hahaha :)

Im in the same boat as the guy looking for a short travel fun bike. Has anyone had any experience with anthems? I know there a XC race style bike, but I can get them pretty cheap.

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might try and race Red Ass NSW state series depending on how life pans out next year

I'll be racing the nationals in under 17's which should be fun, hopefully I can go alright, I'll be on a cove sanchez (most people know the bike, connor fearons old one) wearing a 2624bikes jersey and using ridiculously wide bars.

Does anyone know the rules for 4X regarding bikes and SS, I'm not that keen on gears, I feel I can get just as much power out of the gate with a single speed setup with gearing hard enough for the rest of the track. I feel hell sketchy with gears after riding single speed haha.
You have too have 2/3

Front brakes
Front Suspension
Gears

So as long as you have forks and both brakes you'll be sweet

Wait that might be wrong i think 26" wheels might be in the list instead of something else

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might try and race Red Ass NSW state series depending on how life pans out next year

You have too have 2/3

Front brakes
Front Suspension
Gears

So as long as you have forks and both brakes you'll be sweet

Wait that might be wrong i think 26" wheels might be in the list instead of something else
i thought you had to have F and R brakes, then two of the three others? i might be wrong