The 4X thread.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll put the rules up as a reference on the original post so we can refer people to it!

As for anthems, they're great XC bikes, but for 4X you are going to have a heck of the time jumping them not to mention manualling. That said, I haven't taken one on a 4X track but from general razzing about, I'd say no! Expensive, but look at the Commencal Meta 4X and other similar bikes, they're good all round and have 'fun' geometry.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll put it up as soon as someone confirms what it is! Width for BMX is 29" but I'm pretty sure there is no limit for 4X. But it does at times act as a disadvantage having wider bars as it does slow your steering down considerably when you're getting tight in a corner with someone beside you. The other downside is that just after the gate drops you can touch bars with the person next to you. I'd say the maximum you should go is 760mm and that's if you're tall!

I'll have a search around and see though just so I'm not lying straight to your face.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New tyre time as the side walls are starting to split on my Crossmark/Rendez combo. Wanting to go Schwalbe or Continental as far as brands go. What are my options? Nobby Nics and Racing Ralph seem extremely popular but what type to I go? Snakeskins only come in 2.25s and I'm looking for 2.1's.

Speedkings? Mountain Kings? Whatttttt?

New tyre time as the side walls are starting to split on my Crossmark/Rendez combo. Wanting to go Schwalbe or Continental as far as brands go. What are my options? Nobby Nics and Racing Ralph seem extremely popular but what type to I go? Snakeskins only come in 2.25s and I'm looking for 2.1's.

Speedkings? Mountain Kings? Whatttttt?
Go with Continental if you're looking for 2.1" tyres, from memory I think the Atherton's use Continental as well. If that helps you out.

Good luck in finding some tyres.

Dan

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got a new front wheel on the way from CRC atm, ill throw up a quick snap when i get it on my rig

k_d

Likes Dirt
I have a Specialized SX If I have the desire to run a dually, but to be honest its not needed around here (going from the tracks that I have visited anyway).

Duallys are way slower out of the gate, as you cant really get a snap because most bikes will tend to squat a litle under power. I have tried gating with propedal on lock, and its better (but still slower than a HT), but then whats the point of that, you might as well use a HT.

That my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

camtb

Likes Dirt
just thought i'd let you know the first two national 4X rounds have been scheduled for 13-14th of November at Olympic park in Sydney..

Think its pretty bad that they have it released 3 weeks before the race, who's attending?
From mtba website

Additional 4X rounds
The first two 4X rounds are now scheduled for Sydney Olympic Park on November 13 and 14 in conjunction with the XSports Games. At least $5000 prize money will be up for grabs making it the richest 4X race in Australia - ever! Check out what else the XSport Games are doing here (www.xsportgames.com.au).

More information on the Jayco National Series can be obtained from MTBA. On-line entry is available for all the Series rounds through the MTBA website Calendar or through the National Series website, or use the links in the schedule below.

The complete schedule for the 2010-2011 Jayco Australian MTB Series is now:

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If all goes to plan I should be heading up there. Right on the start of my exam cycles though hmmmm...

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i want to get some clipless pedals for my 4x/am bike. but i know nothing about clipless, what are some good pedals and shoes? im looking at something like mallets. would it be better to get one pedal thats clipless but can ride with flats ok or just get 2 sets of pedals? (1 flat, 1 clipless)
and do all cleat shoes work with all cleat pedals or is there a diffrence?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have the cheapest shimano ones. no worries with them, just cruize around the roads to practice clipping in and out. oh and 661 spd shoes are so sleek

camtb

Likes Dirt
+1 for DX, such a good shoe, come in at an awesome price too! I got mine for 75 off crc with the cheapest shimano pedals, the shimano's are good pedals as well and I've had no trouble with mine apart from when I used to do bmx (5 or so years ago) and the plastic end caps on the cages tended to fall out resulting in the spring and stuff falling out.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so ive pretty much made up my mind on the dx's but what i dont get is how it fits this, the shimnao spd and this, the crank brothers mallet. they are complety diffrent designs, will the dx work with the mallet or just the shimano spd? do you need a diffrent sort of clipless part for the shoes?

thanks for the help guys:)

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so ive pretty much made up my mind on the dx's but what i dont get is how it fits this, the shimnao spd and this, the crank brothers mallet. they are complety diffrent designs, will the dx work with the mallet or just the shimano spd? do you need a diffrent sort of clipless part for the shoes?

thanks for the help guys:)
They will both work with the dx, they have a 2-bolt design so they both have the same attachment method.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok chaps...
I've currently come off a dura ace rear derailleur and newschool saint shifter combo, with a shimano ultegra cassette and durace ace chain combo.

Im looking to get a new derail, and possibly shifter, but im not too sure on some things as i have not used a mountain bike rear derail for ages.
I went to the road setup as i like being able to shift smoothly (as in not have your pedaling rhythm broken out of the gate when you shift up.) under full load.

So just wondering what peoples experiences are with the SLX rear derail in medium, and the sram x9 in short cage, and the 105 in short cage.

I've used the 105 before but i had problems with it making a massive noise on the cassette, hence another reason why i went to the dura ace.

anyways, thoughts ideas etc...

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For 4X, I am 100% convinced by SRAM. I have used 105, XT, X9 and X0 before and both my favourites are SRAM by a long shot. Extremely low noise, super crisp shifting and easily tunable. I like the 1:1 ratio and the 'straight to the point' cable (doesn't loop at the end like Shimano. SRAM have stops on the derailleur so it can't move upwards and hit the frame and I also find the spring tension on the X0 and X9 to be slightly stronger then Shimano. For DH though I would be happy with a SRAM or Saint setup but for everything else, I'm sold on SRAM.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone that i've talked to who runs SLX has been very very happy with it. Personally i run a saint, and i have had no problems what so ever. It is so clean and crisp and makes hardly any noice, practically non. It's deffinatley worth the extra bit of money