The 4X thread.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He doesn't have to buy a new shifter if he buys shimano, WIN. Shimano is the obvious winner, i dislike sram just a bit, not even a little bit of a fan.

DVS969

Likes Dirt
I bought a bike that was running a Shimano set up and after a week i went and replaced it all with SRAM cause i could feel the difference so much

Chamakazae

Likes Bikes
Shimano

Yes, SRAM has some nice bling, and more exotic materials.

Shimano just works, and works well. Personally, I've never had a problem with Shimano, whereas I've used SRAM on several occasions and I've never found the shifting to be as nice.

Also, I prefer the Shimano shifters. That's more of a personal thing though.

camtb said:
I'd go for sram, cheaper for most models, often stronger and have better spring tension.
I've found that Shimano is cheaper for most models, and even at the very top end, Saint is half the price of X0.

k_d

Likes Dirt
I find that all the shimano equipped bikes that I have ridden/heard produce more noise that sram equipped ones. I think thats due to the sram deraileurs having more cage spring tension compared to shimano (even saint). I have found SRAM feels really crisp on the shifts, whereas shimano feels a little slower and more mushy.

Im going to stick with X9 on all my bikes as X0 is just for weight weenies *cough*parker*cough* :p

I would however consider an X0 shifter because you have the ability to adjust the angle on the upshift paddle (maybe when my current shifter dies...).

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^Cheap shot haha, I got it cos' it was red! and light...

yep 4x nats, racing elite?
Directing this to the 4X thread now but debating 19s or elite... easier prize money in 19s you'd think... more sponsorship opportunities in elite though...'

I'm not really riding as fast as I have been lately due to lack of time on the bike and soooo much school work :(

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What does everyone think of the 2011 ABD Flow models? Pretty cool to see a brand making entry level 4X completes. Seems like a good way to go for any beginners to 4X.

camtb

Likes Dirt
They look pretty decent!

Frame looks nice, I used to own a Derelict and they were actually very nice bikes, earlier models had a habit of cracking but it was sorted out..

I reckon they'd come in at a pretty good weight, the build isn't super great but for a beginner it's perfect!

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^Cheap shot haha, I got it cos' it was red! and light...

Directing this to the 4X thread now but debating 19s or elite... easier prize money in 19s you'd think... more sponsorship opportunities in elite though...'

I'm not really riding as fast as I have been lately due to lack of time on the bike and soooo much school work :(
Just ride elite, don't think about the money or sponsorship opportunities, that shouldn't be a motivator to ride(and there isn't much of either). There will be a few younger guys in elite anyway, so you wont be the odd one out. School work sucks for getting in training. You'll push your self more in elite. doo ittt!

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the way I was looking at it. Are you racing elites?
EDIT: I need to renew my MTBA license, should I do it up there?

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the way I was looking at it. Are you racing elites?
EDIT: I need to renew my MTBA license, should I do it up there?
Yeah im going to give it a go, raced national champs in elite last year (cause i had no choice) and enjoyed it so i thought why not? better then racing sport. I'd probably do it before you got just so you dont have to fill out a million forms instead of riding

hippy127

Likes Dirt
help

been thinking of giving 4x a try
just wondering is it good/fine to run single speed for 4x
at the moment I have i realy low geared at 29-15 on 24' wheels
but I have 26' wheels with 11 teeth and can easly switch sprockest arould
wat should I do???
p.s is there any 4x racing in newcastle?

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ Not going to diss your ride, but I'm not to sure a 24" single speed steel bike is ideal for 4X.. No point upgrading, you're better off buying a cheap STP as it will go alot harder and faster then that any day. Sell or keep as a DJ/Park bike!

So some bad news to those who were racing the first two nats.

IT'S CANCELLED

... :( ...

Also, has anyone got any dietary plans that they stick to? I know that it really does depend on the amount/type of excersizes you do, and your weight and lifestyle etc..ect..

I do make an effort to eat as health as possible, but it would be interesting to hear what you guys do as a lot of the time this gets overlooked.

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for that felt, it's all the same training style anyway as it is essentially the same thing (especially in Australia :().

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question regarding 4x frames.
I'm looking at getting a new frame, which will be my play bike.
Most likely it will have a bit of a hack around on, some street sessions, pump track bashing but mainly with the primary goal of riding/racing 4x on.

I'm looking at each of these bikes, mainly for the frame, as I'm going to upgrade virtually the whole spec anyway.
The main difference apart from the tighter street geo on the steel frame is construction material.

Alloy

Steel

Obviously the alloy frame will be lighter, and the longer wheelbase & TT makes me think it'll be better for 4x as it will handle the speed and rough terrain better.
What do you guys think?

Ps, Keep in mind that in the photo of the San Quentin, the bike is stock with 80mm forks, so when I swap them over to 100mm forks, it will slacken the head angle a bit more.