The 4X thread.

birdman

Likes Dirt
that abd looks prime!

what do you guys think about running a mrp X1 of the e13 equivilant for 4x, could i get away witn it if i ran a tight chain?

Simo 182

Squid
The Avanti/ABD Flow as talked about a few pages back are now available.

Heres mine :p

Got any idea on the frame weight or the weight of your complete? Also, how much did the build cost? I also second the idea of a ride report :cool:

k_d

Likes Dirt
Got any idea on the frame weight or the weight of your complete? Also, how much did the build cost? I also second the idea of a ride report :cool:
Approx 11.3 kgs. No idea how much its cost overall as I had pretty much all the parts on another frame before this.

Tell the rain to go away and ill get on for you :p

floody

Wheel size expert
Regards frame weight, my workmate weighed his and with the post, seat, guide and BB it was 2.8kg.
Unfortunately its built now so I can't do another weigh in I guess until I get mine, but given the post and seat would be ~400g, and the guide is 257g, it has to be in the 2.1-2.3kg range conservatively, if not lighter.

Nearly all the short bikes are gone. For sizing, they're quite similar to an STP in length.

Both short and long are 295mm seat tube (C-to-C), 115mm head tube, 69 head/71 seat angles, 420mm chainstays.
Short - 549mm TT (horizontal). Wheelbase 1051mm.
Long - 585mm TT. Wheelbase 1091mm.

I'll have one in January I think...

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah wasn't many hey, I think maybe 30 riders across the categories.

Anyone that did go I was the fat bloke calling riders up and performing as a biomechanical gate return. :p

On the ABD, confirmed with guy at work, 2.8kg for Short frame with E13 LS1 (260g) and ABD 400mm post/piv seat (415g), headset bearings (??g) so we are talking 2.1x-2.2x kg bare which is pretty competitive especially in a $1500 BIKE.

I know I'm biased working in an Avantiplus but I think it is great that an Aussie/NZ (and Yes the Aussie side of the operation has a say in design and spec) are producing a very affordable base for a good 4X bike, not a watered down freeride HT or aluminium DJ bike. Also doing some affordable and functional bars, pedals, fullfaces etc. I just think its a shame they have a stigma with some people for building predominantly cookie cutter BMXs and some fairly wack DJ hardtails in the past, but they are making a big effort.

Last edited:

k_d

Likes Dirt
I know I'm biased working in an Avantiplus but I think it is great that an Aussie/NZ (and Yes the Aussie side of the operation has a say in design and spec) are producing a very affordable base for a good 4X bike, not a watered down freeride HT or aluminium DJ bike. Also doing some affordable and functional bars, pedals, fullfaces etc. I just think its a shame they have a stigma with some people for building predominantly cookie cutter BMXs and some fairly wack DJ hardtails in the past, but they are making a big effort.
Add hybrid bikes to that list as well.

Even the cheapest flow (might be $999? I cant remember :( ) is still a brilliant base to start from.

As for parts, those sniper pedals are bloody tough (mine have had a few run-ins with rocks and stuff already :p )

FMS

Likes Bikes
New to 4x

Hey i was thinking of starting up 4x now tht i have my licence and can travel to comps and was wondering whether a single speed would be suitable for good times??
If not what are some average learner 4x type hardtails to start on?

thanks
josh

Hey i was thinking of starting up 4x now tht i have my licence and can travel to comps and was wondering whether a single speed would be suitable for good times??
If not what are some average learner 4x type hardtails to start on?

thanks
josh
Hey Josh,

SS is fine for 4X. In fact, I've seen a fair few guys (and girls not to mention) who run SS. The hard bit is knowing a gear ratio that will be easy to get enough power out of the gate and also one that won't make you pedal out on the straights.

Some good bikes are on tbsm. The SE Dirt Flyer is a really good choise if you want an entry level bike for a low cost. The bike will also depend on what styles you want to do with the bike. If you want a use it for street and DJ as well your rims are going to have to be stronger than a 4X designed rim, because 4X only has up and down forces, DJ and street have up and down, side to side forces (thats if you want to do 180's and 360's, etc).

Hope this helps you out,

Dan

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Josh, just look at the last few posts...$999 base model ABD Flow 1, $1,399 ABD Flow 2 (gets 20mm front axle and better fork). Purpose built beginner 4X bikes.
The dirt flyer, while cheaper at TBSM, is not even in the same ballpark.

Otherwise SS will be fine to get started, run what ya brung!