The Best Bits and Bikes of 2004

parallax

Likes Dirt
What do you think were the best bits (read: parts - sorry, I needed alliteration) and the best bikes of 2004?

Did all the hype in 2003 truly live up?

I'll start by saying the Boxxer Mojo really did wonders in the fork world. Get yourself a 2003 fork and drop in the Mojo, and you've got a SPV style DC fork for under 1K if you shopped well.

Your turn!

RCOH

Eats Squid
STPs - I know every man & his dog has one, but they are good, reasonably specced & good value. (did they come out 2003 :oops: :?: )

Manitou Stance Forks - Same reasons as above: cheap, good quality product (or so I have heard)

That is all I can think of ATM

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
zoo pitbull and python... they are awesome... and the o5 python looks crap.. i mena wtf no bashguard, craigs on crack.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
RCOH said:
STPs - I know every man & his dog has one, but they are good, reasonably specced & good value. (did they come out 2003 :oops: :?: )

Manitou Stance Forks - Same reasons as above: cheap, good quality product (or so I have heard)
Yes, those two definately. Also Saint Cranks, and Diabolus cranks. (I hope they came out for 04.)

oleitch

Likes Dirt
parallax said:
What do you think were the best bits (read: parts - sorry, I needed alliteration) and the best bikes of 2004?
RCOH said:
Manitou Stance Forks
um i think the stances came out in 2005!!!! but any way i agree they look good if your on a budget, $500 for 6 in SC fork, and 1.5 steerer!!!!!!

RCOH

Eats Squid
oleitch said:
um i think the stances came out in 2005!!!!
1) That sentence does not even make sense. You are using past tense to describe the future.

2) You are wrong. I know 3 people using Stance forks already, so they are obviously out now, in 2004.

S.

ex offender
RCOH said:
oleitch said:
1) That sentence does not even make sense. You are using past tense to describe the future.

2) You are wrong. I know 3 people using Stance forks already, so they are obviously out now, in 2004.
Yeah but aren't they 2005 model year? I think that's what he meant...? Might be 04.5 though.

Spooky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S. said:
RCOH said:
oleitch said:

Yeah but aren't they 2005 model year? I think that's what he meant...? Might be 04.5 though.

Yeh S. is on the right track, my Fox forks are the 2005 model ones, i got them about 1.5 months ago.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Giant STP- excellent ride, great build, amazing price.

Fox DHX 5.0- the best CVT style shock on the market.

parallax said:
I'll start by saying the Boxxer Mojo really did wonders in the fork world. Get yourself a 2003 fork and drop in the Mojo, and you've got a SPV style DC fork for under 1K if you shopped well.
Mojo is nothing like SPV at all mate...

Ty

Eats Squid
Giant STP range, cheap and light with good geo, pretty much the direction that mtb street bikes needed to be pushed in.

parallax

Likes Dirt
Daver said:
parallax said:
Mojo is nothing like SPV at all mate...
SPV = Super Pretty Valving
not any of this stable platform rubbish. :lol:

S.

ex offender
I reckon the IH SGS's made a big splash; competitive pricing and THE BEST spec for the money - you even get Thomson seatposts, Easton bars etc. Maybe I'm biased because I own and love one, but then again there's a reason I bought it.

.243 frames have also gone down well (woops, another biased owner post!)

Norco Sasquatches have gotten a LOT of people into riding with a damn good spec for the money, same with STPs. You can't go wrong with hardtails nowadays, there is seriously something for everyone at any price range.

stooge

Likes Dirt
S. said:
.243 frames have also gone down well
I would have to agree here, also since owning and riding a .243 it has allowed me to realise how I want a street/park/dirt hardtail set up.

And yes Manitou's all new stance range, you have your tripple clamp big hit version, sincle crown 6 incher and your street/dirt specific fork, all with interchangable lowers, tough fork, minimal adjustments but the ones you really only need, reliable and proven internals and an awesome price to boot, what more could you want :wink:

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Best bike that's a hard one, but i think this one takes the pot :roll:

The 888r's are best fork i've ridden so they've gotta make up in the top forks for the year.

The new Manitou Stance range looks great, tough good forks at a price that won't kill your wallet.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I don't know if any of this stuff came out in 2004 or 2003 (if I'm wrong - keep it to yourselves).

1) XT Hollowtech cranks - perfect for smoother/lighter/wussier DHers.

2) Mojo Boxxer kits - turns the cheap and nasty Races into a fork that can go head to head with Dorados and I put mine together for $850 complete.

4) Whenever e.13 chainguides came out - they're still awesome. (and the only part on this list I dont have at the moment)

5) How old is SRAM X.7? I don't care - great stuff.

6) Maxxis Bling Bling tyres. Groovy.

jeff gilmore

Likes Bikes
It's got to be the Yeti 575 with the Fox RP3 shock. Climbing descending, who cares when you are on a 575 and pair it up with a pair of fox forx and the 2 pot XT brakes for stopping power, you can't go wrong for 04.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Best - Dorado X Works. 200mm of sweet.

Worst - Having to access the shock on the DH Team! Not a good design.

Best for me coming next year will be as posted above the Yeti 575. I will retire the Specialized Enduro and get one of these beasts for sure.