the best downhill brakes

downhill_4_life

Likes Bikes
Hey guys
I am looking at buying a new set of brakes I don’t really have a price range but i was looking at these
Shimano XT M785
Avid Elixir - X9

Also I was looking at buying the new x9 gear, is going 10 speed any advantage or just a waste of money?

Sneebyl

Likes Dirt
Also I was looking at buying the new x9 gear, is going 10 speed any advantage or just a waste of money?
I can't answer your first question, but I'll tell you that you probably won't notice the extra gear if you're riding DH. 9 speed (or less) is fine for most people, because they simply don't use all of the cogs anyway. I wouldn't say it's a waste of money, though, because the extra cost (if any) is insignificant. But in the end it is of course up to you, and what you think/know you need.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More on this 10sp chain is thinner and is potentially weaker and the lower spacing between gears means more issues in mud.
A few pro teams are actually going less than 9. Try 6 gears!

10speed on a DH bike is a waste of time!

Chamakazae

Likes Bikes
Hey guys
I am looking at buying a new set of brakes I don’t really have a price range but i was looking at these
Shimano XT M785
Avid Elixir - X9

Elixirs. Or Shimano Saint if you can afford it.

From my experience, XT's have little power and not much bite.

10 speed is a waste of money. I'm pretty sure SRAM still makes x9 in 9speed.

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
Hey guys
Shimano XT M785
Avid Elixir - X9

shamino saint 4 pot are the most common choice of brakes for dh
but really anything from the elixir 5's up is good

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Hey guys
Shimano XT M785
Avid Elixir - X9

I have Avid Elixir CR's with carbon levers. took a few bleeds to get perfect (bit of a perfectionist) and they have great feel and power. and i was surprised to get a lot of bite! the adjustments are nice too. i know carbon levers sound silly for DH but they actually feel really good on the fingers, good lever feel. and well worth it i think.

best gear set up i've had has defiantly been my current set up. XO shifter with X9 rear mech (not worth forking out for the carbon here) im running 5 speed rear to get the optimum chain line. havent quite perfected that but once i get my hands on a Sram 970 DH cassette. i think it will be smooth sailing

i have had a little experience with saint shifter and rear mech. found the shifter felt cheap compared to XO. plastic shifting levers just didnt do it for me.

hope this helps.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'm a avid man myself. Iv never liked any shimano brakes that I have tried. They had bite and worked well but lacked feel. Iv used 07 juicy 7 for the last 4yrs and have never had a issue no to mention only bleed them once. I currently have codes on my commy and are loving them so far. Can't faulted them at all. I have found elixirs don't have the best power or the same feel as codes due to the 4pot vs 2pot. I'm overly happy wih the code and won't change. So to sum up Id run avid over shimano but the elixirs don't suit me so well.

As for 10 speed I don't think it's worth it at all. On a dh run you would probably only use 6 gears. It's more important to look at tooth range. 11-23 or 11-26 etc if you get 10 speed you would want the extra gear to give you a smaller option. Say 9-23 range (I don't think they are publically available yet), this will allow you to run a smaller chain ring up front and five you slightly more clearance up front. Essential a micro drive set up.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the XT's and with the right pads they work awesome but I'm currently running Elixir R's and there hard to beat. Saint's (4pot) probably work better but as for XT vs Elixir I'm gunna have to give it to the Elixirs. Unless of course you can spring for XTR :p

10speed was created to reduce the gap between gears so you can dial in your cadence better. Cadence isn't a big deal on DH bikes so I wouldn't bother.. To much extra work to maintain and fix then the benefit of having the "perfect" gear.

downhill_4_life

Likes Bikes
yeah thanks guys im goning to go with the 2012 x9 elixirs unless some one manages to change my mind
ill stick with an 9 speed x9 Derailleurs with a 11-21 cassette and a 32 tooth chainring
thanks for ur help :)

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah thanks guys im goning to go with the 2012 x9 elixirs unless some one manages to change my mind
ill stick with an 9 speed x9 Derailleurs with a 11-21 cassette and a 32 tooth chainring
thanks for ur help :)
32 up front is very small try 36 if your getting a guide that is a 32-36 . In the past most people have been running 38-40 but with bikes becoming lower there opting for the 36 . < chain guides come in two sizes , just thought id add that just in case > .
9 speed is the way to go , it seems like the only advantage to 10 speed is a slight weight advantage and quicker shifting < but this is only trail talk as i haven`t seen weight or used my self > . 10 x1 would be grate on a trail MTB , 6x1 would be perfect on a dh bike . My 2 cents on brakes , all twin piston brakes lose modulating and feedback at high speeds and just start to grab , so for the general ridder <not pro > 4 piston is the only way to go = Codes or Saint .