The bicycle industry: Design survey anaylised 4/05

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Been great so far guys, didn't even think about using survey monkey, only used it once before for someone!

Few answers, some great points, a poorly worded question by me in there.

Some questions are getting the answers that i expected, but others are quiet surprising to me.

Will post up the results later on, they make apart of my thesis.

Lorday, you reminded me about the thoughts on over saturation, cheers!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's that time of year again for me where it's time to produce a survey for my research for my course. Basically some questions for you guys to respond to if you could please. Currently looking into how design has effected the bicycle industry, both in the industrial and aesthetic aspect.

You are looking at buying a new bike, what part do you consider most in design terms?

• Its material- carbon/alloy/cromo.
  • Its colour and aesthetic paint work.
  • The aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth.
  • The brand name.
  • The marketing you've seen
    [*]Its technological features, and how they affect performance

Does the companies history come into your purchasing choice?

• [*]Yes. There are definitely companies I wouldn't buy from based on things they have done in the past, such as litigation against other companies, incorrect technical descriptions of competitors products when comparing them to their own, or publicising poor quality control practices.
  • No.

Do you prefer to buy something main stream, or to be the alternative person?
  • Main stream for me!
    [*]Alternative captain! If a similar product is available from a lesser known manufacturer and it seems of at least the same standard/performance characteristics as the more popular item I'd prefer to have something a little different.
Do you have a preferred suspension platform of the below?

• [*]DW link. Have owned and tried the others. Nothing comes close for how I want a bike to behave./VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

Of the below, what marketing strategy best works for you?
  • Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
    [*]Technical videos of how it works, and actual user reviews. I like magazine reviews as a general starting point but don't take too much from them. I've generally found if they decide to mention something even slightly negative it seems to be a significant issue or annoyance.
  • Numbers out of the trail
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

Do you feel that today's industry has put the visual aesthetics above the form/function of the bicycle ?

• Yes.
    [*]No.

Do you feel that the industry is now at a point where it has plateaued? Bicycles are all relatively well preforming?

• [*]Yes. Each suspension design is just evolving slightly depending on intended use. I don't think we'll see anything revolutionary in the design of any bicycle component until materials and manufacturing process cost come down to a more affordable level.
  • No.

where do you feel design will lead the bicycle industry in the next decade?
Greater component integration with superficial colour/sticker changes available to customise peoples bikes; increase in the use of composite materials for all components; different brands forming partnerships where components start to overlap.

Would you like to see the price of the products come down, or for a greater development of the sport continue at a higher cost?
  • Prices down thanks!
    [*]Develop away!But... is this why prices are so high in Australia?! Are we paying for R&D for the rest of the worlds mtbers!?!

Do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how? No.

How important is safety to you when making purchases regarding bicycle equipment?
  • Critical, dont care how it looks!
  • somewhat important, balance of all factors
    [*]Has to look good first!Because if it's bought in Australia it has probably already met some pretty tough safety standards.

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon?gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks?

How often/ have you crashed and landed on your phone, keys, wallet, other object and been hurt?
  • Yes.
    [*]No. Never. I'm always lucky enough to land on my head and chest. :(

In depth answers are appreciated, so feel free to rant away.

Cheers guys.
Did I win?

I hope the colouring works.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's that time of year again for me where it's time to produce a survey for my research for my course. Basically some questions for you guys to respond to if you could please. Currently looking into how design has effected the bicycle industry, both in the industrial and aesthetic aspect.

You are looking at buying a new bike, what part do you consider most in design terms?

• The brand name.
  • Its technological features.

• Yes.
  • No.

• [*]Main stream for me!
    [*]Alternative captain!
    Quality is the most important. Whichever is better.

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Technical videos of how it works
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

Do you feel that today's industry has put the visual aesthetics above the form/function of the bicycle ?

• Yes.
  • No.

Do you feel that the industry is now at a point where it has plateaued? Bicycles are all relatively well preforming?
  • Yes
  • No.

I imagine a simpler, tougher and affordable drive chain development in the future ie: combining belt drive with rohlhoff style setups. The further refining of style specific groupsets like 10 speed, compact systems and even an introduction of an AM groupset, a DH groupset, an XC specific set etc.
I think plastics will find their way into some markets like commuter, hybrid and folding bike systems, and tapered headtubes, press fit BBs and and 15mm axle forks will become an industry standard.

Would you like to see the price of the products come down, or for a greater development of the sport continue at a higher cost?
  • Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away! Because the trickle down effect quickly brings the new technology down the more affordable market anyway.

Do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how?
The bike I want dosn't exist so yes, but there is no market for my ideal bike so I guess it's just the way it has to be. I wish there were an affordable way to get measured, choose your material, and get your dream bike built without having to pay stupendous amounts of money. If I could go online or to my local and punch in my geo and frame material and have it sent to me for the same price as a standard factory frame I reckon it would be something a lot of people would use, and make it affordable.
Aside from that, I have nothing.

How important is safety to you when making purchases regarding bicycle equipment?
  • Has to look good first!

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon?gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks?

Quality (sturdy but light) construction, good geo, solid but with enough compliance as to not make the bike feel dead, attention to detail. Material not so important, it's more about the ride quality for me.

How often/ have you crashed and landed on your phone, keys, wallet, other object and been hurt?

• Yes.
  • No.

Cheers guys.
Your'e welcome.

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
]

[*]The aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth.
  • The brand name.

• [*]Yes.
  • No.

• Main stream for me!
    [*]Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
    [*]Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
    [*]Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

• [*]Yes.
  • No.

• [*]Yes
  • No.

• [*]Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away!

Do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how?

Most companies have gone into hydroform alloy or carbon (all looks the same)

[*]Has to look good first!

Lack of linkages, low maintenance and good performer

Never

• Yes.
  • No.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Crank question 2, you've got some interesting thoughts there! very interesting indeed.

Likewise Harmonix, if it was possible to get prehaps the front triangle to use a longer tube that could be cut down as per customers wants before welding prehaps oneday?

and maybe a selection just use the adjustable chainstay concept for the rear end?

tc2233

Likes Dirt

• The brand name.

• Yes.

• Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine reviews

• Yes.

• No.

Mainly weight saving designs/using different materials

• Develop away! As long as they properly test new parts and designs

I feel as though bike parts/designs have been changing too fast with not enough testing. For example i had a 2008 Norco Aline Park, frame cracked. A year later i had 2010 Boxxer forks, lowers cracked. Avid Elixer brakes, leaked air. If bike companys tested their products more before selling them to the public i dont think i would of had these problems.

Weight and suspension. If they released a DH bike that weighed 14kg and cost under 10k there would be a market for it. Look at BOXXER forks for example. Boxxer World Cups weigh a few hundred grams less than Boxxer Teams, boths have the same functions and aesthetics but people are willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for just a weight saving. Same thing with Sram x9 and x0 derrailers. Both have same function and asesthetics but the sram x0 derrailer weighs 10g lighter but costs $150 more.

Several times

• Yes.

Cheers guys.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
"Do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how?
I feel as though bike parts/designs have been changing too fast with not enough testing. For example i had a 2008 Norco Aline Park, frame cracked. A year later i had 2010 Boxxer forks, lowers cracked. Avid Elixer brakes, leaked air. If bike companys tested their products more before selling them to the public i dont think i would of had these problems."

Oh how I could go a personal rant of that subject! spesh: re a certain company you've had in that line..

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt

• The brand name.

• Yes.
  • No.

• Main stream for me!
  • Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.
Nope!

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews
None of the above, I dunno what draws me to a bike, but I can say for certain its really none of the above

• Yes.
  • No.

• Yes
  • No.

Hard to say, in the material aspect it will flow down through aerospace, motor racing and eventually to bikes, I think we'll see a lot more carbon and composite goodies. Its likely we'll see a major rethink in one aspect of cycling, though I dunno just what aspect it will be.

• Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away!
Prices marginally down and develop?

nope

Durability, i'll buy something thats going to last and doesn't want more attention than a 3 year old.

Never, I have a phone that wishes it could use that answer though

• Yes.
    [*]No.

Cheers guys.
Words so that i get rid of short msg

Warwick

Likes Dirt

Its material- carbon/alloy/cromo.
Its colour and aesthetic paint work.
The aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth.
The brand name.
The marketing you've seen
Its technological features.
The whole package. This is a silly question.

Yes. In the sense that a top of the line Giant or Merida will be good. I wouldnt spend $7000 on an Arturro Grand-Flash I made that bike up.
No.

Main stream for me!
Alternative captain! It depends.

DW link/VPP
FSR
lawwill
Single-pivot
Linkage activated.
I dont know or care what those things are

Pro riders succeeding
Magazine Ads
Technical videos of how it works
Numbers out of the trail
Bike check Vids
Magazine reviews

Yes.
No.

They design them, then they try to place them in the market with stickers and shit.

Yes
No.

Lighter, as people see lighter as sexy.

Prices down thanks!
Develop away!

No way. It's the sales and marketing departments that let us down in Australia by charging outrageous prices

Critical, dont care how it looks!
somewhat important, balance of all factors
Has to look good first!
None of the above. It's function over form and over safety

Strength, weight, ride/handling quality and durability. Not fancy crap. Carbon is sexy now, until something better comes along

Yes.
No.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt

* Its material- carbon/alloy/cromo.
* Its colour and aesthetic paint work.
* The aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth.
* The brand name.
* The marketing you've seen
* Its technological features.

I think all of the above answers are quite vague... for me its all about
1. value for money - in terms of getting the best components on the bike for a good price. This ussually applies to; brand
2. frame geo and feel - this is covered under; marketing, tech features, material
3. Weight (also covered by feel)
4. Aesthetics are some what of a factor but i think typically i base my aestheric likeness to a certain geo that i favor. ie) i hate the feel of single pivot so i rule them out as looking good straigh away.

* Yes.
* No.

* Main stream for me! - generally the main reason I go mainstream is that there is a reason the bike is so popular (cheap, reliable, good value)
* Alternative captain!

* DW link/VPP
* FSR
* lawwill
* Single-pivot
* Linkage activated.

Havent ridden enough different systems to comment....not single pivot though and it has to be an easy to access system. Ie) I hate it when its hard to access the shock and clean the bearings.

* Pro riders succeeding
* Magazine Ads
* Technical videos of how it works
* Numbers out of the trail
* Bike check Vids
* Magazine reviews

* Yes.
* No.
So much research goes into bike geo its crazy! Typically if it works well then it also will look good.

* Yes
* No.
Id say yes and no, i think riding diciplines have plateaued but bike technology has moved so much in the past 5 years I can only see it continuing, in what way i have no idea.

No idea... lighter bikes, better suspension and braking, stronger parts

* Prices down thanks!
* Develop away!

Only the australian market and this is due to lack of demand. We just dont have the cheap prices, access to good trails and education as europe and USA

* Critical, dont care how it looks!
* somewhat important, balance of all factors
* Has to look good first!

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon? gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks?

Whatever is good value, works well, doesnt break, easy to clean/maintain

* Yes.
* No.

scblack

Leucocholic
you are looking at buying a new bike, what part do you consider most in design terms?

• its material- carbon/alloy/cromo.
  • its colour and aesthetic paint work.
  • the aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth.
  • the brand name.
  • the marketing you've seen
  • its technological features.
  • its performance capability

does the companies history come into your purchasing choice?
  • yes
  • no.

do you prefer to buy something main stream, or to be the alternative person?
  • main stream for me!
  • alternative captain!
do you have a preferred suspension platform of the below?

• dw link/vpp
  • fsr
  • lawwill
  • single-pivot
  • linkage activated.

of the below, what marketing strategy best works for you?
  • pro riders succeeding
  • magazine ads
  • technical videos of how it works
  • numbers out of the trail
  • bike check vids
  • magazine reviews

do you feel that today's industry has put the visual aesthetics above the form/function of the bicycle ?

• yes.
  • no.

do you feel that the industry is now at a point where it has plateaued? Bicycles are all relatively well preforming?
  • yes
  • no.

More use of exotic materials such as carbon

would you like to see the price of the products come down, or for a greater development of the sport continue at a higher cost?
  • prices down thanks!
  • develop away!

do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how?no not failing me

how important is safety to you when making purchases regarding bicycle equipment?
  • critical, dont care how it looks!
  • has to look good first!

what do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon?gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks?
balance of all the above that works well.

how often/ have you crashed and landed on your phone, keys, wallet, other object and been hurt?

• yes.
  • no.

in depth answers are appreciated, so feel free to rant away.

Cheers guys.
10 characters

aidz44

Likes Dirt

• Its material- carbon/alloy/cromo. i am a fan of carbon, but cant justify the price tag ... YET
  • The aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth. looking good helps pull the ladies
  • The brand name. well i'm sure as hell not going to get a huffy.
  • Its technological features. if it actually works

• Yes. absolutely, see above
  • No.

• Main stream for me!
  • Mr. middleground try not to get the same as everyone, but hate to stand out too much.
  • Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot linkage activated single pivot (make any sense)
  • Linkage activated. just seems to be less moving parts for what has been proven to work

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

none of the above, prefer to do my own homework.

• Yes.
  • No. not YET

• Yes I'm more interested in the developments of better dampers and the like.
  • No.

hopefully more composites and a loss of the stigma that surrounds things that are not made from steel.
also better reliability rather than just cutting down weight. (keeping the weight the same but making things last for more than 2 seasons.)

• Prices down thanks! I know this is an expensive sport and I know people need to make a living, but when brake pads cost the same as a car and being a bees dick of the size ...
  • Develop away!

Do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how? I think I have ranted a bit already but in this day and a age, why are there still flat tires and leaking/spongy brakes

• somewhat important, balance of all factors i am known to spend a bit too much on things that look shiny, but if it doesn't cut the mustard in the first place. forget it

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon?gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks? weight and looks. carbon is nice too. but G boxes just haven't seemed to take off yet, and a good mechanical shifter is just lightning fast now anyways

• Yes.
  • No. havn't actually landed on my keys yet

Cheers Sethius.

Last edited:

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Its material- carbon/alloy/cromo. My bikes are alloy, I like carbon but its expensive at the moment, I'd consider steel for my hardtail if I wanted to make it mor a specific jump bike

Its colour and aesthetic paint work.
Good colour and aesthetics show are always a bonus/they show that the company has gone that extra little bit to make sure their bike looks sick.

The aesthetic form and shape, it looks smooth.
As above.

The brand name.
As long as the bike is produced by a reputable brand I'm not fussed.

The marketing you've seen
Meh

Its technological features.
As long as they are well thought out and dont add exponentially to the cost.

Yes.

Depends on the product, definitely nice to support the smaller companies tho.

Each can be equally good to ride, so it comes down to who designed it not so much as which suspension classification it comes under.

I like to think I'm not influenced by marketing.:rolleyes:

Yes.
No, todays bikes not only look better but they are a hell of a lot more reliable than the bikes of 10 years ago.

Yes
No.
Kind of, as I see it most bikes still have compromises, the technology is there, it just needs to be utilised in the right way.

Hopefully electronic gearboxes, affordable carbon frames and wheels...:cool:

Prices down thanks!
Develop away!
Compromise is where its at, you dont want bikes to be cheap at the risk of becoming a stagnant market...

Gearboxes yo! But seriously I think distribution is the biggest issue in Australia right now.

Balance of all factors, you can usually get something that meets your criteria, just going to cost more...

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market?
Being a poor student, price and reliability is key, looks and weight are secondary.

No.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt

• The brand name.
I'd say its a big combination of those, but I'll say technological features (its geometry, how the frame is built, strengthening, drop out design, linkage and shock hardware.

• Yes.
  • No.
Yes it does, if a company has produced bikes that ride well before then I'd be more likely to go with that brand.

• Main stream for me!
  • Alternative captain!
Bit of both, did have a very mainstream bike to start off with but now riding an Intense, which could be considered a little bit alternative I guess.

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.
Not really, riding a VPP platform bike (951) at the moment which rides amazingly.

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews
Numbers out on the trail have a bit of an influence, I'd be more likely to buy something that other people I know have ridden and liked. Technical videos are also great because I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes down to it.

• Yes.
  • No.
No, I feel that most manufacturers are still trying to create the best riding bike and only then once it's tested well that they begin to tart it up with graphics and paint.

• Yes
  • No.
Yes, I think now that the MTB scene has been around for long enough that there is no manufactuer producing a bike that rides awfully compared to others out on the market.

Gearboxes will be looked at again, lighter frames that may sacrifice longer term durability, different bloody standards for bottom brackets/headsets/rear axles.

• Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away!
Develop away, within reason. Theres no point making a bike uber expensive with tonnes of research if I wont be in a position to purchase it.

As mentioned before, too many standards are starting to take shape and I think that instead of trying out new things, companies need to realise that interchangability (if thats a word?!) of parts is a good thing. EG if I'm at a race, and I bend my BB30 crankset on a downhill bike, I'd be up s**t creek trying to repair the bike, whereas if my bike was to keep it simple with an 83mm BB, then I'd have more luck sorting something out.

Definitely safety, if a bike looks bling with thin tubing but snaps in half landing a double then I would not be impressed!

Gearboxes are a big thing, maintaining a drivetrain especially in a muddy environment can be a nightmare. Electric shifters should start moving more from road to XC/AM/DH.

• Yes.
  • No.
No, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Cheers guys.
zututututututut.

Jubas

Likes Dirt

• The brand name.
    [*]Its technological features.

• [*]Yes.
  • No.

• Main stream for me!
    [*]Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

None

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
    [*]Technical videos of how it works
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

• Yes.
    [*]No.

• Yes
    [*]No.

Stronger, lighter, about the same price

• Prices down thanks!
    [*]Develop away!

The changing standards are ridiculous!

• [*]Critical, dont care how it looks!

I think it needs to be a balance of: looks, weight, price, function. Decent prices for overseas products would be a good start.

Never

• Yes.
  • No.

Cheers guys.
10charforfun

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
  • The brand name.

• Yes.
  • No.

• Main stream for me!
  • Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

• Yes.
  • No.

• Yes
  • No.

Much of the same

• Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away!

Do you feel as an bicycle fan that due to design the industry is failing you in any way? If so, how?No

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon?gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks? Ease of use, reliability and functionality over form

• Yes.
  • No.

Cheers guys.[/QUOTE]

Good luck!

Ben-e

Captain Critter!

• The brand name.

• Yes.
  • No.

• Main stream for me! - mainly due to the support factor
  • Alternative captain!

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

• Yes. Straight tubing is stronger and lighter than curved for example
  • No.

Do you feel that the industry is now at a point where it has plateau? Bicycles are all relatively well preforming?
  • Yes
  • No. Bike designs are still evolving, although progress has slowed

I think that shocks have a long way to go yet. We are seeing that many of the more basic frame designs, such as single pivots, are coming into their own due to increased shock performance.

• Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away!

no

What do you feel makes a successful design in todays market? Do you want carbon? gearboxes? Hydraulic, electric shifters, electric support motors etc? Weight? Looks?

Simplicity is always going to be better for most people who are not sponsored professional riders due to price, weight, maintenance etc. Personally weight and performance are important to me.

I landed on some rubble and broke a rib..

muvro

Likes Dirt

• The brand name.

I find I look at most of the options above when considering a bike, with various importance. Material and the companies history and reviews of specific bike are extremely important. Secondary importance, is Aesthetics both physical and visual, Brand and technological features. I'm not that swayed by new technological features unless they are a definite step towards progress. ie, is something is hyped up as the latest and greatest and is only good for saving a few grams. I couldn't give two hoots. But something that really transforms a bike, ie new suspension design that makes a 4" bike feel like a 6" bike. I'm all over it!

• Yes.
  • No.

Absolutely!

• Main stream for me!
  • Alternative captain!

I love having something different. I hate being a sheep and buying something just because ol' mate down the road has one. I usually tend to go the opposite of a trend. I do however, encourage/recommend my unusual purchase/bike to others if it suits their needs.

• DW link/VPP
  • FSR
  • lawwill
  • Single-pivot
  • Linkage activated.

I find, I like single pivot for XC riding, and since riding my current Marin the Whyte setup on the back of that is amazing for an allrounder style bike.

• Pro riders succeeding
  • Magazine Ads
  • Bike check Vids
  • Magazine reviews

People I know that have good intimate knowledge of bikes and thier performance. Also, hearing good/bad feedback from them is the most influencial for me. Magazine ads, are good to see what's out there and available, but it would never make me buy something, regardless of how good it looked. Though it is a good medium for getting it seen. Tech vids I find really interesting, but when it's by a magazine of a particular manufacturer, I take what is said with a grain of salt. Anything can be shown or demonstrated to show it's strengths and hide it's weaknesses. I take what is viewed on-board and may be impressed by what's on, but it won't be a deciding factor in a purchase. The numbers out on a trail doesn't always dictate whether a bike is good or not. It is a great indication of what is good value for money, but not an indication of whether it's a good performer or something that is suitable for me. Money is always the major deciding factor in a purchase, this can highly influence the numbers of a particular brand/model that is seen on the trails.

• Yes.
  • No.

No not really, I think it's a major consideration, but not to the detriment of function and performance. I personally think (I'm saying this with no intimate knowledge of the processes or inner workings of the bike industry), that the function and performance lead to and dictate the bikes style. Then tweaking of the design and main functions leave us with a finished product.

• Yes
  • No.

I don't think it's plateaued, I do think that market leading innovation and forever remembered changes are becoming increasingly harder to come-by as there is so much money, time and energy poured into R&D. A good handling bike is a good handling bike, but combining that with light weight and strength is where I see it heading. making a 4" XC race bike handle like a 6" AM rig with the weight of a road bike. It's extreme, and possibly impossible to undertake, but that could be possibly where it's heading???

See above

• Prices down thanks!
  • Develop away!

Hrmmm, Of course, we want to see prices come down, so long as it's not to the detriment of development and progress.

I don't feel that way, no.

Safety is very critical. Construction and materials are important, but I am also very critical of how it looks.

Weight a good blend of materials, bth carbon and alloy. Giving us a good variety of choice.

• Yes.
  • No.

If I carry my wallet or phone, it goes in my pack. My bike and the ground are usually the things that hurt me if I fumble something or come off.

Cheers guys.

Answers in read.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Great results Sethius. That proved for some very intersting reading and threw up a few surprises.
I am all for gearbox shifting technology!:D