The bike industry crisis

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Get rid of the lame-arse surfer-bro commentator and you might have a chance of more people watching it. Currently it's like:

Slopestyle riders pull an insane combo trick:
"You know what brah, that was like the SICKEST thing we've EVER seen!"

Footage of rider napping in the pits two hours before a race run:
"You know what brah, that was like the SICKEST thing we've EVER seen!"
In a few years time it will just be single syllables: Duuude!.... Siiick!..... or Braaaah!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Just reading that Eminent Cycles has filed for bankruptcy.

Thought this was a pretty interesting behind the scenes.

"In a December 2023 filing with the Bankruptcy Court for Southern California, Eminent Cycles owner Jeff Soncrant said that since the bankruptcy initial filing he has invested more than $300,000 in the company and worked without salary for two and a half years. He said Eminent sales grew rapidly during the COVID-19 pandemic but then the company was unable to obtain additional inventory for several months due to supply chain challenges. Later, Eminent was challenged by tariffs on China-made frames and high shipping costs that resulted in higher pricing. He said factories also prioritized orders from larger brands during this period.

"However, because there were back orders from customers, it provided Eminent confidence that business growth would increase," he said of the 2022 scenario.

When inventory began arriving in June 2022, more than half of customers canceled their orders, he said in the filing. By early 2023, he said, "there was no demand for bikes."
I really don’t understand ‘chapter 11’ bankruptcy. If they filed for that 3 years ago, how were they trading through covid etc. Also, I went onto their website which still presents a trading business and while there is not much that’s actually in stock, I was able to find a frame in large and put it in my cart. So they seem to still be trading now????

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I really don’t understand ‘chapter 11’ bankruptcy. If they filed for that 3 years ago, how were they trading through covid etc. Also, I went onto their website which still presents a trading business and while there is not much that’s actually in stock, I was able to find a frame in large and put it in my cart. So they seem to still be trading now????
Chapter 11 is sorta like going to one of those debt consolidation mobs... fake bakruptcy?

Not actually bankrupt, but holds off creditors from shutting you down and gives time to get your shit together.
Different to Aus/Euro "going into administration" (more like winding up?)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wonder if the website ever does come back, will they have whittled down their 33 bikes to the 5 or 6 most popular, maybe Crush, Clockwork, Switch etc..
One would hope so... Speaking of hope, wonder if im game enough to ask for a tracking number for my hubs

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

"The filing also disclosed that Scott Sports made a profit of $35.8 million in 2022 on sales of $628 million and profit of $23.2 million in 2021 on sales of $695 million."

Considering the sales they did it's not much of a return.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

"The filing also disclosed that Scott Sports made a profit of $35.8 million in 2022 on sales of $628 million and profit of $23.2 million in 2021 on sales of $695 million."

If my math is correct, which it is likely not, that's below 2% net margin.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment

is not really that dire though.
2022 full accounts if you are into that sort of thing.. (and I may not be reading it correctly but...)

123 mil in cash
total assets ~614mil
total liabilities ~458mil
gross profit ~196mil (from ~954 mil sales)
final profit ~46mil

and previous year filings (they are swiss Co, but file in the UK)

maybe just refinancing their long term liabilities, or expanding? they have a swanky HQ

Jabubu

let you google that for me
is not really that dire though.
2022 full accounts if you are into that sort of thing.. (and I may not be reading it correctly but...)

123 mil in cash
total assets ~614mil
total liabilities ~458mil
gross profit ~196mil (from ~954 mil sales)
final profit ~46mil

and previous year filings (they are swiss Co, but file in the UK)

maybe just refinancing their long term liabilities, or expanding? they have a swanky HQ
Most of those liabilities are future maintenance issues with headset routing.