The bike mechanic activity I hate the most.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
My tip with tubeless, is…

Take folded tyre out of box/packaging, Unfold tyre into shape then find a spare tube. Inflate tube inside the unfolded tyre. Go at it bigtime, make the tube suffer, we want if real big. Wait one day. Install with compressor. Tick. Never fails.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Take folded tyre out of box/packaging, Unfold tyre into shape then find a spare tube. Inflate tube inside the unfolded tyre. Go at it bigtime, make the tube suffer, we want if real big. Wait one day. Install with compressor. Tick. Never fails.
What if you don't have a tick? Will a spider or wasp suffice?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don't do all the things you can all do but for me it's loosening cranks. I don't know how many near misses with the chainring I've had but one day I'm going to lose my fingers..
SRAM DUB crank by chance?

Remove left pedal. wrap cloth around left crank arm for padding, then slip a pipe suitably fat enough to fit over the crank, and long enough to brace against the ground to stop the crank rotating. Insert allen key in crank bolt, and slip another length of pipe over allen key for leverage. Take a running jump to hit pipe-over-allen key with full force of bodyweight & gravity. Repeat until crank bolt surrenders and releases.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
SRAM DUB crank by chance?

Remove left pedal. wrap cloth around left crank arm for padding, then slip a pipe suitably fat enough to fit over the crank, and long enough to brace against the ground to stop the crank rotating. Insert allen key in crank bolt, and slip another length of pipe over allen key for leverage. Take a running jump to hit pipe-over-allen key with full force of bodyweight & gravity. Repeat until crank bolt surrenders and releases.
Raceface cranks actually

link1896

Mr Greenfield

I do that after putting the new tyre into 60 degrees water till it’s super soft, then put the tube in and inflate.

Next day, no signs of the creases from being folded up in the box.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I bought this little tool in the UK and tyre installation was piss easy. It also doubles up as a clamp so I could tyre lever in the last 10cm of bead on the Super Gravity tyre.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I bought this little tool in the UK and tyre installation was piss easy. It also doubles up as a clamp so I could tyre lever in the last 10cm of bead on the Super Gravity tyre.

worth a go for $16-20ish AUD plus post. I have one of the plastic 'pliers' type tyre tools, and they are ok, as they help keep the section of tyre being gripped in place, but only used together with Topeak shuttle tyre levers, that come as a pair. the composite (fibre-reinforced plastic??) of the lever is a bit kinder to rims than metal levers.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

Crankbros has the Speedier tyre lever that is good for tyre installation. They are not so good for removal though.

There is also the Tru Tension Tyre monkey lever which is also good for tyre installation.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Crankbros has the Speedier tyre lever that is good for tyre installation. They are not so good for removal though.

There is also the Tru Tension Tyre monkey lever which is also good for tyre installation.
Won't the crankbros lever just snap and slice your hand up second use? I try not to use any lever but the 29" tyres seem to fight back on the ztr rims. I just have a couple of parktool levers.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I do that after putting the new tyre into 60 degrees water till it’s super soft, then put the tube in and inflate.

Next day, no signs of the creases from being folded up in the box.
Awesome… you learn something new everyday

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Im reading and would love to comment on this thread but I've never used a bike shop and have no issues.

NSD... Express postage for the very few times I've needed them, or Cyclinic, awesome.