The bike you shouldn't have bought

Silcone

Likes Bikes
I am currently doing the same thing as you did but a different story, just cause I can. It used to be an unbearable blue but after stripping it down it has become a nice rosy red. I'll upload pics if i can be bothered...

2-fast

Likes Dirt
Mongoose BMX

Just overall crap! Tyres are always flat, bike always is dirty and is just hell to ride. :mad:

gasman

Likes Dirt
uncomfortable, but at least it was a bargain

Scott Carbon MC 20, Medium

Weird short top tube, made me feel like i was sitting way too upright, way up in the air and just simply uncomfortable, thank god for my Anthem Advanced (another bargain)

GASMAN

indica

Serial flasher
Second hand Kona Stab.

Second ride flew flat out sideways into a tree and munted the BB.
Fifth ride bent the down tube and top tube FUBAR style at Youies.

$2500 down the tube.
Sold my 05 Stinky to get it too. =(

Matt H

Eats Squid
What happened to that kid?

I regret buying the 06or07 p.1 cromo I had for a while. 24" and 26" combo was fucking retarded.

england

Likes Bikes
An old mountain bike that cost me nothing really, I thought "I'll convert it into a flat bar roadie style thing, ride to work and stuff and get fit"

Rode it to work a few times to a few mates house and now the car is back on top... For the bike I got a new back wheel, new rear cogs, new cables, new brake, new tyres, new chain.

Now I think it will be more fun to turn it into a S/S and paint it all flat black, after all, what better way to get fit than spin on the flat sections and suffer on hills?

Maybe to save some money I'll just lock my derailleurs out in a fixed gear and take the shifters off..... at least it's cheap if I change my mind then.

jamis dakota elite from ebay... looked like an awesome deal, fox F100 forks, nice mech, etc, under 1000$. couldnt see it before buying...guy swore it was in good condition, didnt need much spent, "done less than 2000k!"
picked it up, didnt know toooo much about bike mech at the time so took it to the local shop to get checked over and serviced.... about 500 later...
-new cables, new casette, chain, bb

-found out the forks were shagged, s/h reba's ~330

so now I have spent close to 2k on it, could have picked up a new bike of similar spec. It is in the shop at the moment getting a new headset... and issues with the brakes (juicy 5's) sorted. keeps breaking spokes, still needs new cones in the front wheel, actually, it needs a new wheelset.... ARGHHh

nice to ride tho :) done about 3000k this year on it. stoopid money pit bike

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jamis dakota elite from ebay... looked like an awesome deal, fox F100 forks, nice mech, etc, under 1000$. couldnt see it before buying...guy swore it was in good condition, didnt need much spent, "done less than 2000k!"
picked it up, didnt know toooo much about bike mech at the time so took it to the local shop to get checked over and serviced.... about 500 later...
-new cables, new casette, chain, bb

-found out the forks were shagged, s/h reba's ~330

so now I have spent close to 2k on it, could have picked up a new bike of similar spec. It is in the shop at the moment getting a new headset... and issues with the brakes (juicy 5's) sorted. keeps breaking spokes, still needs new cones in the front wheel, actually, it needs a new wheelset.... ARGHHh

nice to ride tho :) done about 3000k this year on it. stoopid money pit bike
Mate you've done 3000k on it, if I did 3000k on my bike, I would consider that maitnence.

I'm lucky to make one DH without something not feeling quite right. And on my xc bike I need to service it every ride to keep me from having to replace parts.

curly123

Likes Dirt
mongoose BMX, the crank arms fell off, bolts snapped and alot of other things o well i put it through a hell of allot of shit like doing down hill tracks and ghosting it into and off things it was fun but it cost allot to fix

7point3

Likes Dirt
my cannondale chase

i love the bike it feels awesome

built it with gears to try 4x, never seen a track.
i bought it with no intention of ss but now im never going back to gears and im really wishing i knew before i got a frame with vertical dropouts.

im now trying to sell the complete bike at the price i payed for frame and forks:mad:

glorystp

Banned
I bout my first dh bike for $450, the second i got it i rode it in my street and the rear drop out snapped off:eek: (the part that keeps the wheel on the frame). so i got it welded back up it cost only $66, then i sold the bike for $1276, so i never rode it and only owned it for 2 weeks and the frame snaped on me, but i was very happy wit it because it made me $760 bucks:D.

sam705

Likes Dirt
I bout my first dh bike for $450, the second i got it i rode it in my street and the rear drop out snapped off:eek: (the part that keeps the wheel on the frame). so i got it welded back up it cost only $66, then i sold the bike for $1276, so i never rode it and only owned it for 2 weeks and the frame snaped on me, but i was very happy wit it because it made me $760 bucks:D.
Did the new owner know the frame had been mended?

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
My Fusion Terminator - Aside from having a terrible name, its WAY too small for me. Bought as a frame only, couldn't find measurements on the net, and it looked ok, but when built up I realised its too small. Combine this with the fact that I ride DH once every 3 months at best, and I don't really like the feel of the bike, makes it an expensive 'cheap' DH bike.

Anyone under 6' need a DH frame?

floody

Wheel size expert
Banshee Scream '03. Frankly it was just shit at everything, in fact its amazing they stayed in business making the horrid piles of shit. Too heavy* and too much travel for trail riding, too short, high and steep for downhill, really only good at riding on ladders at slow speed then wheely drop hucks to flat. Lame.

*To put that in perspective, my enduro with summer tyres on and my STP in race spec, together, would weigh mere grams more than the Scream alone.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeti DJ awesome - dirt jumper and 4x bike

Pity I dont actually do either of them as much as i planned to. The bike has seen any dirt jumps and the only 4x has been a quick roll down the Stromlo track after the world cup last year, which only occured after a xc ride there.

All the use the bike gets now is in an XC ride in the form of a Manly Dam loop. Sure the angles are great for the downhill section (hence me choosing this frame) but my back is definitely not liking the stiffness of the frame.

Coincidentally any one want to buy pretty much an immaculate 2008 Yeti DJ frame?

I really should buy a bike for what i will actually use it rather then what type riding i would like to do but realistically wont do regularly

Cypher

Likes Dirt
My old Giant AC1. I had the small, but it was still too big. Just the wrong frame geometry.

I called it bugalugs - it was terrible going up hills. I would never admit it to any one though - it cost me way too much. (thank god for anonymous posting!)

I gave it away in the end to my cousin's son (just turning 14). Hopefully he fits it well and trashes the thing and doesn't get too many broken bones.

do-a-flip

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ohh i need brent to comment this thread. although its a car all i ever hear is about his bommador breaking down, doors not closing, windows not working, big red turbo button (hazzard light) lost in the dash. its a pisser..