The BMX Race thread.

Noelg

Squid
Im running a rennen chainring on my 20
Sinz on the cruiser
Sinz on my sons 20
And a DXR on the old cruiser
I did use the el cheapo gold alloy bolts on the staats cruiser ,and two broke from me tightening them ?
The genuine shimano bolts have given me no dramas .
I worry about loctite ,not being able to loosen them at a later stage as you may have to break out a drill !!
But i guess they wont loosen

converge11

Likes Dirt
Perhaps I might just use that blue stuff you often see on most bolts on bikes. Seems to just stop them from loosening without fully locking them hard. And ill definately retighten them after my first gate this time lol.

redbruce

Eats Squid
allen key type with the two notch things on the back that you use that special tool for, but the first ones that fell out were torx type. i might grab some like my wifes bike. they have allen key both sides so you can get more tight than the allen/special tool type. maybe some loctite too? i did notice on the shimano site they list chainring sizes for dxr's. are you meant to only use shimano rings on them? im running a different brand ally 33tooth ring. i notice they dont list 33t in their rings. i dunno if that would make a difference at all though..
The only reason bolts come undone is because they werent done up correctly to start with.

No loctite, but do use a bit of lube. Counter intuitive I know, but any bolt that has to be done up to correct torque should have thread lubed (engineering 101).

Brass or steel chain ring bolts are much more reliable than alloy. The alloy ones standard on DXR cranks are however the best alloy ones there are.

Oh and if you loctite alloy chainring bolts they will be mated for life.

Last edited:

converge11

Likes Dirt
lol, i can see their purpose for big jumps, cause geez they are one big thick bit of ally! but id never buy them unless i was going to pull massive whips all day haha. just talked to my mate about buying the hemi. he said i can pay him off fortnightly if that will make the mrs happy. hes just going to swap out his city lite sun rims/ oydessy hubs with his ryno lite sun rims that came on the hemi to make it cheaper for me, might even ask him if he wants to keep the dxr's to make it cheaper again and just buy some cheaper cranks.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
buy some unpolished dxr's aka saints and save a few bucks or even go for some xt's. Or do what i did and buy profiles. Never looked back.

hahaha dodgy deals with mates so the mrs doesnt twig on... nice idea. Mine has woken up to those schemes (even after trying to pull one yesterday)

converge11

Likes Dirt
i reckon saints look better imo, im not a huge fan of super shiney parts. its a shame cause the guy i got the hemi off just sold his saints for 100 bucks to put the dxr's in....

met63

Likes Dirt
Saints and dxrs are exactly the same crank. Haha just different paint and axle length.

As for the chainring bolts. They're probably falling out because they're cracked. Brass is the way to go. Alloy ones I find crack really easily. And for the price you pay. May as well spend it on something that will last. Sinz do really good ones. About 35$ though :/

anth69

Likes Dirt
Saints and dxrs are exactly the same crank. Haha just different paint and axle length.

As for the chainring bolts. They're probably falling out because they're cracked. Brass is the way to go. Alloy ones I find crack really easily. And for the price you pay. May as well spend it on something that will last. Sinz do really good ones. About 35$ though :/
Dxr and saint have different spiders ( saint supports a bashring ) , 12 mnths ago the 'mx71' dxr was released and is slimmer in the arms and lighter ( & the spider has extra webs on it ) I'd guess the new saint just released is the black mx71 ... The cranks are forged hollow and they mustn't weld the end tip ( pedal end ) where it closes together , they just linish it smooth and after a few rides a 15 mm hairline crack appears , parallel to chain wheel ( both my sets have done it along with any others I've looked at ) if you've cased the crank tip in dirt good chance you won't even see it ... Steel or brass chainring bolts all the way ! The ally ones freeze or crack even with thread lube on them

converge11

Likes Dirt

Ok, this is a hard call to make on the internet, but just wondering what you guys would pay for this bike.

Basic specs
2005 specialized hemi pro xl
Answer scythe pro carbon forks
Dxr 180mm cranks
Dxr brake and lever
Will come with rhyno lites with standard hubs that came in it, not the city lites that are on it
Solaris bars
Sdg I fly seat

Thats about all I can name thats important on it. Reason I ask on here is cause he doesn't know exactly how much he wants yet, and pretty much wants me to make a decent offer that suits me and him. Its pretty much like this, he doesn't want it, but just spent a load on it, I want it, but would buy something cheaper and much lower spec if he wanted more than what I can afford. Id just hate to see this bike sit in a shed forever :( lol

RB 24

Likes Dirt
to be honest I wouldnt spend any more than $450. The frame is 7 years old already and without sounding bad and no disrespect to your mate or yourself, even though he has spent the bucks recently on new cranks etc he would make more money parting it. The market for 2nd hand bikes isnt strong and if I was going to buy it the only reason would be for the cranks and forks. Keep your dxr lever.

so to be up front mate but thats my thoughts.

RB

converge11

Likes Dirt
cheers mate, thats the sort of replies im looking for. 450 is what i paid for my staats which is in much better nic than this hemi. and i dont think id feel comfortable spending more than that on a 2nd hand bike when i can get a brand new entry level race bike (lets face it, thats all i really need) for not alot more. one thing i have worked out though in the short time of having the hemi, is i feel MUCH more comfortable on a 20" bike. on the track and around the street it just feels so much more a race bike than my cruiser. might have to put cruisers as my side class and get serious on the 20". being in div 5 and having a goal of making div 7 also makes things much more interesting long term.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers mate, thats the sort of replies im looking for. 450 is what i paid for my staats which is in much better nic than this hemi. and i dont think id feel comfortable spending more than that on a 2nd hand bike when i can get a brand new entry level race bike (lets face it, thats all i really need) for not alot more. one thing i have worked out though in the short time of having the hemi, is i feel MUCH more comfortable on a 20" bike. on the track and around the street it just feels so much more a race bike than my cruiser. might have to put cruisers as my side class and get serious on the 20". being in div 5 and having a goal of making div 7 also makes things much more interesting long term.
personally i would suggest you go on J&Rbicycles and check out the complete haros and GHP's. Might cost you an extra $100 but a brand new bike is always better.

converge11

Likes Dirt
Would be definately nice to get a brand newy :). In the mean time, I'm torn as to which bike I wanna ride at training. would 20 be better to train on? Or just swap it up each week?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Sounds like the go. My mate got back to me on a price.....$1500.....yep, thats not happening....
In the words of the immortal, "tell him he's dreamin".

As a guide used hemi's go for $120 - $200 in the states. Unfortunately your mate has over capitalised the bike. He would do better financially to sell it as parts.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
train on an oldschool 20". you'll learn, or crash and burn!

gates last night after a phone call from my adult kids two states away expecting me to be an arbitration judge as usual. i didn't even get to eat the gourmet dinner i'd cooked so i was cranky.... i'm pushing the limits for the first time since the brain injury almost a year ago, trying for a decent launch after the disappointment at Mildura a couple of weekends ago, using the anger, and i do fall just as the gate drops one time. the so-called club trainer says to me "first time on clips?" well no, i've only been on them since my first crack at racing in 2004 and you have watched me gate on clips twice a week since i came to the club in January....

fun night tomorrow night then the Cruiser Challenge round 2 on Sunday. Oldschool and fun night next Wednesday, i think i'll ride both bikes just 'cause i can.

Last edited:

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the go. My mate got back to me on a price.....$1500.....yep, thats not happening....
damn...tell him you just want the bike not the bike and his Mrs!

but...throwing a cat amongst the pigeons..

Keep an eye out for the 2013 Felt sector completes. They will retail at a good price and leave you a great frame to add the bling to over time. I am about to duck for cover but Felt make a cracker of a 20" frame and it is the components that make it average. Word is they are going to up spec the components.

But really.... $1500????

sheesh.. I thought fourfiddy was a pretty fair bet. Is he a bank manager?

RB