The BMX Race thread.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Thanks hach_bee and thanks shadow187. Appreciate it!

Cleaned up the bike yesterday. Now it just sits there begging to be ridden. Only 8.5 months to go. Hmm, might use the time to upgrade me some parts to avoid going mental. :crazy:

heal well, and soon. sorry to hear about your shoulder!

converge11

Likes Dirt
im just going to throw this out there for anyone who has a 661 comp/abd bmx helmet. when i first got mine, just looking inside i figured the liner wasnt removable. and after many google searchs i found the same info and alot of people thinking the same thing. well they DO come out, and quite easily, now go wash your helmet lol.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any tips on the best method for removing the "stank" from helmet pads?
I've got an older d2 that has been through the mill. The inside of it smells like a shoe despite numerous wash runs.

converge11

Likes Dirt
My mrs reckons sprinkle a bit of baking soda on it and let it sit a bit then when you wash it put a bit of vinegar in the fabric softener part of the washing machine then a day in the sun drying. She did that with some of my old stinky shoes once and it did good haha

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got an older d2 that has been through the mill. The inside of it smells like a shoe despite numerous wash runs.
A note for those having not experienced- the BB stank is something not of this earth ;) bahahaha okay not that bad, but rather pungent...

My mrs reckons sprinkle a bit of baking soda on it and let it sit a bit then when you wash it put a bit of vinegar in the fabric softener part of the washing machine then a day in the sun drying. She did that with some of my old stinky shoes once and it did good haha
I would definitely try this. Super cheap too. Don't deodorise or anything as you'll just layer more smell.

Try some antibacterial spray (Glen 20?) when you get home from riding and never store your gloves in your helmet!!!

redbruce

Eats Squid
I have used wool wash on my motorbike helmet, full face BMX helmet (put the whole helmet in the laundry sink - wash the removable sections separately with same detergent) and XC helmet pads for years .

Good at dissolving the grease and salt out, leaves a eucalyptus smell.

Last edited:

Crimson

Likes Dirt
So after 3 days the Victorian State Titles have been run and won. All up a great weekend of racing with 902 (I think) entries across all offered classes.

Now I just need a weekend to recover from my weekend.

Crimson

Likes Dirt
I choose not to race at States. I have aproblem with paying $75 for 3 races, as I typically get moto'd out. So instead I've gone and done my officials courses (level 2 now) and help out behind the scenes with the electronic scoring.

So for me the States was:

Friday - 2 hours setup, 4 hours registration, 1 hour of testing for Saturday.
Saturday - 30 minutes setup, 3 hours registration, 1 hour configuration (moto draws, printing moto sheets, race orders etc), 5 hours of racings, 1 hour of configuration for Sunday
Sunday - 30 minutes setup, 1 hour configuration (moto draws, moto sheets race orders etc again), another 5 hours of racing, 3 hours of packing up.

In all we had 10 computers across the network(s) doing different tasks and feeding results to different areas of the track.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So what's the software/process like these days? Back when I left, some clubs had started using the event manager program that did the random lane draws so marbles weren't needed anymore. I always thought that there had to be a better way to streamline the whole scenario- especially now that you've got transponders in the mix!

Crimson

Likes Dirt
I believe BEM (BMX Event Manager) is pretty universal these days. It certainly has evolved over the years.

Our setup consisted of:

1 computer running Data Collector to record all the transponder information ( 2 decoders + start gate) and package it for BEM
1 computer running BEM that essentially runs the event (import results from Data Collector, randomise moto draws, etc).
1 computer running Cafe Updater which pushed the results (as well as lane draws etc) to the 4 Points Cafe computers (used by the riders to check their results without having to wait for volunteers to print our results lists etc)
1 computer uploading results to EZEventing so everyone can check results on their ipads/smartphones
1 computer in the commentary tower so they can get instant finish line results instead of "we'll leave that to the scorers".
1 computer set up as a transponder testing station, so that riders can roll their bike across the loop to check they have the correct transponder on their bike and are registered in the correct class.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, looking to offload my cruiser. Spec is as seen in this pic but with different seat and grips. I bought the bike late last year, replaced everything besides wheels and forks and have only ridden it a few times since. Anyone who is familiar with me knows I have had a few injuries and have not been riding. Looking for 650 but I am negotiable if it is for a quick sale.
IMG_1462.jpg
The bike is a GHP pro cruiser, has a variety of shimano and s&m parts with a few bling bits like the thomson seat post and elevn chain ring, all in fantastic condition.

Help me out and take it off my hands, and of course pm me for more info.

( i know no selling in forums, but the only bmx racers watch this one so what the heck )

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe BEM (BMX Event Manager) is pretty universal these days. It certainly has evolved over the years.

Our setup consisted of: very extensive explanation!

Wow. Surely there's a better way to streamline that?? I'm no IT expert, but imagine being able to transmit this data to a server that stores and processes without needing 5 laptops? Could run a live results website or something from it.....

In AWESOME news, my work down in Sydney is keeping my smiling :) my two main transports are my beloved kuwahara and a golf buggy that we've managed to tweak to go fast. Turns out I ride past a bmx track each way for work too!! Has anyone ever seen or heard of the monster bmx track in syd olympic park? Will try and get some photos tomorrow- it's amazingly well maintained for a non-club track :)

EDIT: the track has a club! the little things you learn.....

Last edited:

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Wow. Surely there's a better way to streamline that?? I'm no IT expert, but imagine being able to transmit this data to a server that stores and processes without needing 5 laptops? Could run a live results website or something from it.....
While I agree that the setup is just a tad over the top. It is like this for a reason - redundancy. The power at some BMX tracks leaves a lot to be desired and having just 1 single point of failure is not something I want to think about. Mind you this is only for States, a regular open day is run with just 2 laptops and tghe transponder testing station (yes, we run transponders at every open meet here in Victoria)

Clubbies are done for the year. Now for a short break while we prepare for Track Attack once again (Everyone's favourite 6 open meets in 9 days - Sat/Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun) from the 11th of January.