The Brackenbury - Creswick, Vic - 22nd 23rd October

CQP

Likes Bikes
Brackenbury course looking good

Had a pretty good time riding some sections of the Brackenbury course today. Due to an enterprise bargaining agreement dispute between a baby sitter and a father of some very tall children, I wasn't able to piece the whole course together. However, I was able to ride some rad sections of trail that have been kept in great rideable condition by some hard working trail pixies.

Very keen for this race. Still not sure whether to do the 60km option and keep a lid on things or do the 30km option and do some fancy riding. I'm pretty sure I can't keep up the fancy riding for 60km...

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Save the fancy riding for Saturday and on Sunday i expect to see you grovel for two laps.

Have to get out this weekend and see how many trees came down in the storms. Anyone who wants to come along?

solo

Likes Dirt
entered today
any idea how many entries so far hopefully with the yowie the week after and surfcoast too you still get a good turn out

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
This will be a great weekend to ride in Creswick

Entries are steadily flowing in and so we had better get out there.

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
World Trails visit Creswick

Glenn Jacobs and his crew were in Creswick this week to look at the flood damaged creswick creek trail which is part of the GDT. This visit has been organised by the Hepburn Shire Flood office and they are confident that improvements can be made in the next fortnight before our event. World Trail were then off to Ballarat.

http://www.cyclingballarat.com.au/news/mtb_20110929_01

Spoka

Likes Bikes
new single track?

I heard on the grape vine that one of the land managers has allowed for some new trails to be built for this event. It this correct? And if so how is there a working bee planned?

chosteoant

Cannon Fodder
Went out with the crew trail building on Saturday in the pine trees to the southeast of Cosgraves Res. Went back the following day and rode it backwards and forwards a few times. It is be great fun. There's a nice couple of kickers in there for those who like to get their rubber flying. It links up with the singletrack that ends up taking you through Koala park. This whole section is fantastic fun and varied: ups, downs, drop offs, step ups, small jumps, tree roots, rock gardens, a few berms....awesome fun. Get your entry in I recommend. I definitely will be one of those who will be able to say "I remember racing in the very first Brackenbury". Get on it!

solo

Likes Dirt
just wondering it doesn't seem to have anything on the website about registering on the morning of the event or the day before ( to get your race number and the like )
when will this be open ??

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Thanks Solo
Registration will be available all day saturday (cash only)

BUT really really please enter via the website www.thebrackenbury.com.au

This makes everyones job so much easier.

Thanks also to the trail crews out at the weekend.

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Serious Trail Crew

Works started yesterday on the repair of the Creswick Creek Walking cycling trail
1.3 km of multiuser walking and cycling trail alongside the creek that will be completed for our event and used to get the runners out, cyclists in and cyclocrossers round and round and round.

Don't worry there will still be plenty of other challenges!

With one dozer, one dump truck and one steam roller they moved 800m in 8 hours!!!

This is one of the awesome outcomes of the community, the council, and you the imminent visitors working together.

Woo Hoo!

So please take your happy vibes and go to the registration page www.thebrackenbury.com.au

Thanks to the flood recovery committee, Hepburn shire, DSE and Pipecon :clap2:

A big thanks to Parks Vic for allowing us to use the GDT from Stgeorges lake to the this new trailhead

Entry / Registration?

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, just wondering what age groups and categories you're running for the Mountain Bike Epic.

Also, I think solo's post (above) was asking about "registration" rather than "race entry"...? I'm also interested to know, assuming I've entered online beforehand, would I be able to register (pick up race number, get name ticked off etc) before the race on Sunday morning? I can't make it there Saturday is all.

Cheers, hoping to see you on the 23rd,

Dean.

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Aaah register, not enter now i get it

Yes there will be registration available all day Saturday and Sunday Morning from 08.30

AND coffee!

Good news for those seeking a pampering

The Novotel forest resort in Creswick has a special offer for "Brackenbury entrants"
$149 a night for a Standard King room with breakfast for two!
Mention the race when booking

The good news is that is a buffet breakfast and they have unlimited coco pops!

http://novotel.forestresort.com.au/sleep.html

get on it!

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
family picnic at the brackenbury

The Creswick Woollen Mills will be supporting the Brackenbury events
Grab some cheese and wine from our gourmet shops and perhaps one of Dazza's bullboar sausages, chutney from the Lemon Tree Cafe and get on the rug!!

"Yesterday at Federation Square in front of hundreds of visitors, tourists and families enjoying school holiday’s, Creswick Woollen Mills, Australia’s sole surviving coloured woollen spinning mill, broke the world record for the longest picnic rug.

Creswick Woollen Mills created the biggest picnic blanket ever manufactured in the Mills’ 60 year history, using the iconic Australian Billabong Rubber Backed Picnic Rug to smash the existing 45 metre record. At a massive 100 metres long, the Mills has entered it into the Guinness Book of Records in an attempt to create history. Mill manager, Robert Brown estimated over 240.57 km of yarn was used to make the rug. “The weaving, coating and finishing of the rug took over a week, with 3 Mills staff spending another three days trimming, eyeleting and labeling the picnic rug to ensure it met the Record’s criteria” he says. Mill employee Debbie Hatfield says it's an extremely heavy blanket to work with. "It's actually 120 kilos, so being that weight, that was probably the biggest difficulty in pulling it and trimming it and putting the eyelets on."

Visitors enjoyed meeting the Alpacas, sampling local produce, meeting local businesses from Creswick, Ballarat and Daylesford and seeing an exciting performance by the Chinese Dragons. Business and Tourism Creswick president Larry Monk says it's not only great publicity for the town, but a valuable part of its recovery.

What is the future for the world’s longest picnic rug? Events Coordinator Olivia Ford says the rug has already received several requests for special appearances including the upcoming Brackenbury Classic at Hammond Park, Creswick October 22 and 23, where visitors can bring picnic hampers or grab some tasty treats from the local providors stalls and make a day of it on the Picnic Rug. Afterwards the rug will be cut up and distributed to local charities and schools.

This is the first world record attempt for Creswick Woollen Mills, but judging by the stir the longest picnic rug is creating, I’m sure it won’t be their last! Look out for upcoming exciting events held at the Mills, including the Alpaca Shearing Day on Saturday October 29th. www.creswickwool.com.au/events"

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
remember get Saturday free with Sunday entry

For registered entrants in the mtb epic 30 or 60km remember that there is all day Saturday : fun runs, social rides mtb coaching and a cyclocross race

get on it!!

The Zigster

Likes Dirt
I'd like to come and support this event Doc but I'm racing O/S and away for a few days over October!
Good luck with it all!

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Imortant information

Brackenbury MTB Epic 2011

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” Robert Browning

The Ballarat Sebastopol Cycling club are proud to relay that the Brackenbury to be held next weekend 22,23rd October will no longer be $55 bucks. It will be a club race and cost $10 bucks.

Same great new trails, same BSCC welcome, shorter course (we took out the middle bit), same timing

No prizemoney, no sponsors,

Our partners Committee for Creswick have scaled back the event for unavoidable reasons.

Those who have paid up will have a reversal to their accounts soon and those who want to pay up $10 can via the www.thebrackenbury.com.au or pay on the day

The event will still commence from Hammon Park, Water st Creswick. Sunday 10.30am. Registration from 8.30am

We still have access to hot showers and changerooms

We still have club social rides leaving all day Saturday 10am, 12pm, 2pm

We still have a cheese shop, new Lindsays playground, chocolate shop, museum, alpaca mill, free camping, five star hotel, Lagerche gully, coffee, wineries, Talbot Markets, tadpoles, flowing sweet singletrack.

We still have a fun run by Wendouree athletics club Saturday morning

And we still have a commitment to make this event bigger and better in October 2012

AndrewY

Squid
FORMAL NOTICE - from The Committee for Creswick

THE BRACKENBURY - FORMAL NOTICE

Due to a number of unanticipated issues, relating to delays in relation to regulatory compliance documentation, the formal Brackenbury cycling and running events, family and community activities, being facilitated by The Committee for Creswick on October 21/22 are being rearranged.

We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience but issues beyond our control have served to require us to make this difficult decision.

So what is happening?

• The Brackenbury Classic – 5km, 10km and ½ marathon event is still on but in a different configuration
  • The Brackenbury Mountain Mike Epic – Will be happening but the course will differ
  • The Brackenbury Road Stage Race – Will take place but in a different configuration
For those of you who have registered for The Brackenbury Events via our web site we will be refunding your registration fees to you. If you still wish to participate, and we trust you will, we will be in touch via email to provide details as to the next steps to take.

You can continue to register for the events to be conducted on The Brackenbury web site and the fees will reflect the changed status of those events.

We trust that you will still come and experience a great weekend by participating in the events and enjoy what will become a great sporting and family weekend.

If you wish to discuss this further then please PM me or contact The Committee for Creswick directly.

Again our apologies

The Committee for Creswick

PS: We also suggest that you mark 20-21 of October 2012 in your diary or calendar as The Brackenbury will be taking place as planned next year.