• XL

• L

• M

• S

• XS

Results are only viewable after voting.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
2019 Norco Fluid FS. 470mm reach and 626mm TT in the large.

Current Fluid FS in XXL is 540 reach and 687 TT. And a 510 seatpost…. Gargantuan.
Interesting. We're the same height and my smallest bike is a 480mm reach which is okaaay, be a lot better with a higher stack though. 500mm reach is ideal for me, 540mm would feel... different.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Interesting. We're the same height and my smallest bike is a 480mm reach which is okaaay, be a lot better with a higher stack though. 500mm reach is ideal for me, 540mm would feel... different.
I'd like to try a Stumpjumper Evo S6, Fluid FS XXL or one of these to see how such a monster reach would feel on the trail.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What size stem you running at preferred 500 reach?

I went straight from old school 26er to this current bike, so naturally was more comfortable on something a bit smaller. I could easily go up another size by dropping stem length but kind of like having a bit more weight over the front tyre given the above.

Jabubu

let you google that for me

I went straight from old school 26er to this current bike, so naturally was more comfortable on something a bit smaller. I could easily go up another size by dropping stem length but kind of like having a bit more weight over the front tyre given the above.
I run a 50mm stem at 64 degree head angle and 505mm reach.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

40mm with 20mm riser bars (at 780mm width). Way back in the day I had a 100mm stem on my old Heckler, but unintentionally moved to the shorter stem vibe simply by trying newer geometry bike set ups and liking them. FWIW a longer chainstay will 'centre' you more and help weight the front wheel too imo.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The stats are saying we have a normal distribution (good) but that the middle is L? That doesn't make sense. Large should be larger than a medium! Also doesn't explain why all the good bargain bikes are always in other sizes.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The stats are saying we have a normal distribution (good) but that the middle is L? That doesn't make sense. Large should be larger than a medium! Also doesn't explain why all the good bargain bikes are always in other sizes.
I'd guess it's due to a lot of riders being able to size up owing to lower seat tubes and standover etc. Certainly helps explain the volume of XL bikes for sale (which are like 10 times the amount available a few years ago).

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It all depends on the industry trend / ego puffing strategy.

Nobody wants to be thought of as a small person, everyone wants to be a large person. So, for that reason they size L bikes for the most commonly sized person which makes more people feel better about themselves being 'bigger' than they really are.

TLDR:
* L bikes are ridden by median sized folks
* M bikes are ridden by little people who don't want to be labelled little by a whole bike industry
* XL bikes are ridden by lords

safreek

I have old downhill bikes, large in size.
Do I still pick large or the true size of s/m. Oooh, S&M oooooh

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It all depends on the industry trend / ego puffing strategy.

Nobody wants to be thought of as a small person, everyone wants to be a large person. So, for that reason they size L bikes for the most commonly sized person which makes more people feel better about themselves being 'bigger' than they really are.

TLDR:
* L bikes are ridden by median sized folks
* M bikes are ridden by little people who don't want to be labelled little by a whole bike industry
* XL bikes are ridden by lords

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There was one who put himself in the L's then posted a thread of his new M bike :p

Calvin27

Eats Squid
'd guess it's due to a lot of riders being able to size up owing to lower seat tubes and standover etc.
It's funny because I thought it would be the opposite. Modern geo is much longer and everyone uses short stems. So, you an manage the saddle height but the reach is pretty long. I actually went from a L to a M/L ideal fit due to modern geo changes. Older, pre-2015 bikes I could manage an XL, not anymore.