The Cheap Race Thread [NSW]. NOW WITH CALENDAR

Delmar

Likes Dirt
July 14th CTMBC Mid Winter Night Screaming 4hr. $80- with a roast dinner or $65 without

CTMBC Club races $10 run every Tuesday night when the weather holds. Should start doing some Sundays too once I work out what weekends I have free....
Sorry Cat, forgot to check your calendar. Will add this as without the roast (only race in the world offering this?!) it just makes the 'fifty odd dollars' cut off :).

Have never quite made it out your way to ride, must make it one of these days.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
A bit late...

... but I just remembered this thread with reference to the rescheduled SCUM 4 hr at Coondoo, TODAY. Too late for most I'm sure but still deserves a mention here.

Coffee van, facilities, great track... $10!

Rego from 3, start at 5.

I had to cancel my entry to the RT event due to other commitments but can make this... I'm ahead! :)

mumbleman

Likes Dirt
Mid North / north coast races

http://refusenixracing.wordpress.com/2012-gnatpack/
I'm a bit slow reading threads but this year the local clubs; Kempsey-Macleay Off-Road Cyclists, Coffs Harbour CC, New England Mountain Bike Riders, Hastings Valley Mountain Bike Riders, Taree Tip Riders, Nambucca Mountain Bikers and Grafton CC ran an interclub series at not expensive rates, I think about 20 bucks each time (plus the mtba blah blah). Prizes were bragging rights but $20 to race with a bunch of good people on some well prepared tracks seems cheap to me. Too late for this year but if you are planning for next year and can get to some of the venues something to think about.

Grafton has a 12 hour/6hour event coming up at $55 per head. Saturday 17 November.
http://refusenixracing.wordpress.com/g-bomb-12-hour/
See link for info and look at site for more info on racing in area.
hope this is helpful to someone.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
http://refusenixracing.wordpress.com/2012-gnatpack/
I'm a bit slow reading threads but this year the local clubs; Kempsey-Macleay Off-Road Cyclists, Coffs Harbour CC, New England Mountain Bike Riders, Hastings Valley Mountain Bike Riders, Taree Tip Riders, Nambucca Mountain Bikers and Grafton CC ran an interclub series at not expensive rates, I think about 20 bucks each time (plus the mtba blah blah). Prizes were bragging rights but $20 to race with a bunch of good people on some well prepared tracks seems cheap to me. Too late for this year but if you are planning for next year and can get to some of the venues something to think about.

Grafton has a 12 hour/6hour event coming up at $55 per head. Saturday 17 November.
http://refusenixracing.wordpress.com/g-bomb-12-hour/
See link for info and look at site for more info on racing in area.
hope this is helpful to someone.
Good on you mumbleman, I'm not going to give up on this thread, so all those races will make it in for next year. As a proud founding member of the armidale club, I'm a big fan of thier track and set up :). 12hr at $55 is at the cutoff :)

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Cheap Race Thread Race report

After a gruelling 10 minute drive, I arrived at Coondoo in perfect riding conditions; sun shining, birds singing, people smiling.

After joining the line of 1 to register and saying some g'days, I joined the 40 or so riders mustering for the start. A few categories started together, so there was plenty of competition for the race to the single track. Masters men were set for three laps of 20 mins each, so the idea was go hard at the start and stay at that pace! Coondoo was in a slightly sandy mood, so there were quite a few 'moments' as wheels were sucked and passing attempted in the first lap. Lots of good natured chatter on track.

After two laps I was pretty sure I had one master in front and two just behind. I managed to take one place, but this turned out to be an expert doing one more lap. Twas a good chase though and he kept the pressure on me! With a couple of k's to go I gave the rivet a rest as I thought I was safe, but then a squeal of brakes not far behind shocked me out of that and I had to go 10/10's all the way to be clear.

Great track, good racing, TEN BUCKS. Local club is supported, family happy to have me home at 10.30. WIN!! All within an hour of wollongong, sth highlands and milton ulladulla (a few of those guys came up).

There were hundreds of cheap race stories in NSW this weekend, this has been one of them....

Support your local club people! :)

Last edited:

rotorub

Likes Dirt
I like this thread!

Though am not ready to race just yet am thinking about it at some stage.
The big events seem are the ones I know about as the ones that are advertised in magazines AMB MTBA etc.
To repeat, price for promoted events is a turn off and a disincentive for racing.

I am interested not for the racing aspect but more to participate in a organised ride or check out a new trail and as a fitness challenge etc.

Do you need to be a member of MTBA to enter into club races?

Does it cost extra if your not a member of that club? I.e. Someone from Sydney racing in a Newcastle club event?

markusm

Likes Bikes
I like this thread!

Though am not ready to race just yet am thinking about it at some stage.
The big events seem are the ones I know about as the ones that are advertised in magazines AMB MTBA etc.
To repeat, price for promoted events is a turn off and a disincentive for racing.

I am interested not for the racing aspect but more to participate in a organised ride or check out a new trail and as a fitness challenge etc.

Do you need to be a member of MTBA to enter into club races?

Does it cost extra if your not a member of that club? I.e. Someone from Sydney racing in a Newcastle club event?
Entry costs are generally the same no matter where you're from. If you aren't a member of mtba you have to pay extra for a day licence which I think is about $20.

struggles

Likes Dirt
SCUM 15/30/60km race Sunday 16th December.

Should be between $10-20 for entry.

Course will be a single 25-30km loop with a shorter roughly 15km loop for those not wanting a longer ride.

Rego from 8am more details on the SCUM website.

Delmar

Likes Dirt

Course will be a single 25-30km loop with a shorter roughly 15km loop for those not wanting a longer ride.

Yep, just changed holiday booking by a day to make this more easily done. Looking forward to it!

Squims

Likes Bikes
Cheap Race Thread (NSW) - Tumut 3hr

Raced in the Tumut 3 hour earlier this year in April. Can't recommend it more highly - excellent track, $15 entry, well run and just heaps of fun. Me and the boys will be back next year.
Here's the link:
http://tumut.mtbwagga.asn.au/

struggles

Likes Dirt

A quick change, after riding the track today it looks like it will be a 20/40/60km race with a 20km loop.

Maybe a shorter 8-10km loop for kids and novices.

Not real keen running on firetrails just to make up the kms:)

struggles

Likes Dirt
An update about next weekend (16th December)

Entry fee for the event will be only $5 for all (non MTBA members will need to buy a day licence)
Any family member of a SCUM member will have their day licence paid by SCUM

Start times

60kers - 8:30am
40kers - 9:00am
20kers - 9:45am

Rego will be from about 7:15am and you will be able to register up to 10 mins prior to your start time.

Presentations for the 2012 XC series will take place at the conclusion of the event.

Food and drinks will be available on the day.

$5!! now that's a cheap race :)

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Tell 'em the price son!!! $5, that's crazy good value.

Forecast is good, track will be awesome, looking forward to it!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
4 Seasons 3hr series- Rydal
$40 entry discounts for juniors
stripped down, chilled out and a bit of fun on a Saturday afternoon.

Autumn 23-3-13(Date of this one to be confirmed)
Winter 22-6-13
Spring 21-9-13
Summer 21-12-13

Full details to come on www.ctmbc.net in the next couple of weeks

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
Busy promoters (running a number of events in more than one state) have an almost full-time job filled up with planning and all the back-office and admin stuff for the events and their business. As for the price, they've gotta make a living somehow if it doesn't leave enough time for a regular daily job outside bike race promoting. Availability of volunteers is a great help sometimes overlooked. Volunteers reduce the cost of operating an event, which in turn helps make it more affordable.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
This Sunday the 20th WSMTB are holding the second round of the CamelBak 4hr series supported by Bikeminded at the grand old girl of Sydney mountainbiking, Yellomundee Regional Park - $30 solo entry for MTBA members, but there is a $10 late entry fee on the day. Details and online entries here: http://www.wsmtb.com/v2/