The cooking thread

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Sourdough base, 70% hydration - yummo! Homemade salami on the top one

View attachment 400329
Thank you. I looked up a method for 70% hydration dough and made some to use last night. It was delicious, but I forgot to take photos.

I don't own a Thermomix, so I used the conventional method.

I now feel the need for a proper pizza oven too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Fred Mk 2 and partner inherited a Gasmate gas pizza oven from partner's parents. Twin rack thing with light and piezoelectric ignition. It has a wee steel box to stick inside to cremate dead tree to fake a wood fired ambience and it works unbelievably goodly. It was a gift to the parents who didn't use it. So it is now at my place waiting on their (#2+1=3) move next year. I put wheels on the little table it came with and now it is mobile because it is awkward for one person to move. Fred Mk1 took it camping and the oven got a work out, pizza, croissants, cookies, bread etc so he is looking for one too. Gasmate do a nifty single rack in stainless... They are reasonably expensive for what they are and my quick inspection (since we will need to get one when this is taken) is that the Bunnings version is the same and less than 50% of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and has a trolley! I was going to build a brick edifice but this has convinced me there is no need to go to that trouble.

That pizza dough looks excellent. Sadly I need geriatric friendly and a decent pizza base to date is beyond my capabilities, I have bread and rolls sorted and I am still working on a pizza dough.

Labcanary

Fred Mk 2 and partner inherited a Gasmate gas pizza oven from partner's parents. Twin rack thing with light and piezoelectric ignition. It has a wee steel box to stick inside to cremate dead tree to fake a wood fired ambience and it works unbelievably goodly. It was a gift to the parents who didn't use it. So it is now at my place waiting on their (#2+1=3) move next year. I put wheels on the little table it came with and now it is mobile because it is awkward for one person to move. Fred Mk1 took it camping and the oven got a work out, pizza, croissants, cookies, bread etc so he is looking for one too. Gasmate do a nifty single rack in stainless... They are reasonably expensive for what they are and my quick inspection (since we will need to get one when this is taken) is that the Bunnings version is the same and less than 50% of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and has a trolley! I was going to build a brick edifice but this has convinced me there is no need to go to that trouble.

That pizza dough looks excellent. Sadly I need geriatric friendly and a decent pizza base to date is beyond my capabilities, I have bread and rolls sorted and I am still working on a pizza dough.
Sweet, thanks. I was looking at the Bunnings ones. I can't justify the expense of a Gozney or Ooni. And I don't have an undercover outdoor area, so I need it to be portable.

Edit: @Dales Cannon , do you have a link to the one you mentioned? Thanks :)

Last edited:

Labcanary

Has anybody got a recommendation for a tofu press? There's a couple different types.
I've been watching Will It Tofu on https://www.youtube.com/@marystestkitchen and the one Mary uses looks a bit breakable.
Are you wanting it to make your own tofu, or to squeeze out the water of store bought tofu?
If the latter, I made a simple press with two chopping boards and 4 coach screws with appropriate sized wing nuts (stainless steel)

My sister makes her own tofu with a press like this:

You'll need to use cheese cloth with it.