The curse:"Last run"

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
Is anyone else out there afflicted by the strange happening of the "last run "curse?
Everything is goin' fine,gettin' close to the time you have to go home,and someone says "Last run" then we'll head off!
Next thing you know, your'e brushing yourself off after being slapped by whatever jump/drop off/obstacle you've been hittin' all day!:(
Is this common? Or are me and my mate just afflicted by some strange curse!:confused:

Stu the kid

Likes Dirt
"Touch wood", i had a similar case today at school where i said i had never been caught going home for lunch and then i got caught:(
Yeh touching wood always works never doubt touching wood it is ur friend! if u dont touch wood you will regret it

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes its a killer
You always gotta say "ok 4 more runs" but finish before your forth always say 1 more than your going to do...It gets me every time..last run..crash brake a rim...go home being very unhappy

Last edited:

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This has happened to me the day before the DRCC dirt jam I was practicing at a skatepark all day. there was one trick i was doing which was a 180 and tailtap it to a 360 off a bank all day. I went home at 3 then said to my parents I'm going to the skatepark for a last practice run. When I did the same trick I had done all day I heard a noise. looked at my forks and I had snapped the arch:mad: . I was absolutely spewing because i had planned to go to the dirt jam for like a month.
Moral: I have learnt to never go on THE LAST RUN.........EVER.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes!

And now that you have started this thread you just screwed yourself for the weekend.

Shit and so did I by posting in it. :mad:

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
Ha! Glad to see its not just me. Do you think there is some psychological reason, or do you just tempt "the Fates " by puttin' it out there?
I've tried trickin' 'em by sayin' 4 more but sometimes they dont fall for it!:)

wdshiver

Likes Dirt
Yep happens to me too. Said last run, (put my shinnies away cause I was planing on leaving) then jumped the jump I had been hitting all day, fell off and got a shin dig. and landed in some massive ditch before hitting a tree. Oh well

Little T

Likes Dirt
Yeh i'm pretty sure it will happen to everyone if they say it. Usually if i'm jumping or at the bmx track i will say "1 more and then we'll go", next thing you know im on the ground with grazes.

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Generally by the last run of the day you are tired as. That combined with wanting to try to make the last run 'that little bit extra' is normally a programme for disaster.

hyperkona

Likes Bikes
ha. we seem to be having the opposite lately.... we have the second run curse. The last 2 or 3 times we've been out, the 2nd run someone either stacks good enough to damage themselves or the bike or blow a fork seal or all of the above! Good for the rest of us cos we then have a dedicated shuttle driver.... cept last time was me....:(

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Our group isn't even allowed to utter the words "last run". It's common, and it's nasty! There is no way out. You can try and trick it by saying there will be a few more runs, but it doesn't always work. Better not to do it I think!

kizza01

Likes Dirt
When there is a feeling in our group that the day is through, someone says, 'Im going to do another' and its understood that its the las trun for the day. works a treat too.

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
pyley had a massive stack on a 'last run' ages ago... when uni was still legal he hit the stepdown... axed himself on a foot thick log which was on the lander.. he moves the whole branch 2 feet.... he buckled a 729 rim and stuffed the lowers on his forks..... hurt his ribs too

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not me =)
I always taunt it by saying 'Last run' just as im heading into some jumps..
Ohh yea, thats right. Im just that hardcore and all..

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did that at the local jumps a few months ago.
Called last run and proceeded to rip out an 8ft jump........on a 10ft gap. :eek:

We have outlawed calling last runs too.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
If the race run falls into this categort then I've had a pretty good run... up until last weekend in Tassie, crashed twice & twisted my left knee. Physio reckons 3-4 weeks recovery (so long as there's no real damage to the cartilage)

I guess it could have been a lot worse.

skinner

Likes Dirt
I think its th same with all sports, used to happen to me all the time with windsurfing...one more run out and back, and boom major wipe out or something breaks...i really wish i hadn't done that.

Maybe we should be calling 2 more runs and trick it and quit after the first...

demo9pro

Likes Dirt
Happens to me all the time. A year ago i called last run and broke my wrist, out of action for 16 weeks.... yep, it sure was a last run for a long time

NCR600

Likes Dirt
It's fatigue, not a curse.

Last run usually gets called when people are pretty buggered and have had enough for the day. Simple soulution is if you think to yourself, "I'll just do one more run" stop then and there.

Anyone who has been to a motorcycle ride day will have seen the exact same phenomenon at work.