The Dandenongs Legal efforts?

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Is anyone actively avocating for MTB in the Dandenongs? (around Belgrave)

There seems to be alot of trails that are suitable, but there seems to be alot of groups that are anti-mtb, and none that are presenting the other side...

Any one have any back ground on any of this?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
why dont you start a Dandenong District Trail Riders Club? ;o)

which groups are actively against out of interest? (aside from Bushwalking victoria who are against everything apart from beards)

Zam

Likes Dirt
(aside from Bushwalking victoria who are against everything apart from beards)
couldnt have put it better myself, they are against camping in remote areas, cattle in the high country, 4x4ing, mtbing, etc etc and basically want all bushland locked away on the off chance one of them wants to walk in the area, complete bunch of w%^kers...

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
couldnt have put it better myself, they are against camping in remote areas, cattle in the high country, 4x4ing, mtbing, etc etc and basically want all bushland locked away on the off chance one of them wants to walk in the area, complete bunch of w%^kers...
From my experience as an avid bush walker, any where that 4X4 can get into gets trashed - it's not the clubs which have good training and relations with parksvic, but the feral bogan P plater idiots, should not be allowed off road without being a member of a club and completed all the training that clubs offer. It's a shame MTB and walkers often don't get along, but all it takes is an inconsiderate idiot plowing past walkers... when stopping and say g'day would go a long way.

MTB'ers and the ranges have never really gotten along well, a people making and riding tracks like the channel 10 DH don't help. It's a place that needs some advocacy and has a lot of potential rom silvan, dongalla up to belgrave.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
On many occasions i have got the impression that bushwalking victoria has a seriously elitist attitude...for one see the parks victoria discussion papers on allowing more MTBing in the Alpine national park...one guy (a senior member of the comittee) was disgusted that he may have to share a track with anyone! Including fellow walkers (albiet hunters) and openly started throwing insults at other contibutors. Its a shame as i love all things outdoors including bushwalking but the demeanour of that particular lobby group have seriously put me off getting involved with ANY bushwalking club. Also pick up any bushwalking magazine and the attitude is again the same with thinly disguised digs at other forest users in many articles. However i also agree that there are far too many idiots trashing bushland in 4wds/motorbikes/illegal and really shit looking trailbuilding etc etc. It hurts every time i see a pile of empty pre mix cans just thrown into the undergrowth or some rickety looking ramp built out of old milk crates and cut down saplings..

Anyway back on topic a good example of what can be done i what the Gap Creek Trail Alliance acheived in Brisbane. I think they had very similar issues. I.e. popular walking area, potential walker/cyclist conflict, vulnerable flora and fauna etc.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Is anyone actively avocating for MTB in the Dandenongs? (around Belgrave)

There seems to be alot of trails that are suitable, but there seems to be alot of groups that are anti-mtb, and none that are presenting the other side...

Any one have any back ground on any of this?
Andy, probably worth sitting down and having a good chat with John at Lysty, assuming he is still in charge. In my time at the Mix there was talk of an official advocacy group of sorts being set up for the area, and with the same rangers running Lysty and some of the surrounding Mt Dande parks, that may be a great place to start.

Couldn't tell you if it is all still current, but there was certainly a push a few years ago.

Hope you are well!

Lewis

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woody would be the one that knows a heap about this, he will be sure to reply sooner or later!
From what i have been told, there has been many attempts to legalize trails or get permission to build trails (like C10) that has ended up in the tracks being wrecked, and boulders being placed at the fire roads....
As much as id love it, i dont think it would happen!

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Great Info so far,

I am happy to at least provide a "pro mtbing" voice for MTBing in the dandenongs, but i thought first i would just see that i am not standing on anyones toes, or cant build on there efforts.

I have experience at this sort of thing :)

...and will start a dialogue soon (unless i hear why i shouldn't)
at this stage i think i will do it through LDTR as the d stands for "district" i think Dandies fall with in that (and i am VP (past pres for 3 years)

Let me know if anyone has any objection, or any relevent info.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Great Info so far,

I am happy to at least provide a "pro mtbing" voice for MTBing in the dandenongs, but i thought first i would just see that i am not standing on anyones toes, or cant build on there efforts.

I have experience at this sort of thing :)

...and will start a dialogue soon (unless i hear why i shouldn't)
at this stage i think i will do it through LDTR as the d stands for "district" i think Dandies fall with in that (and i am VP (past pres for 3 years)

Let me know if anyone has any objection, or any relevent info.
Dude if anyone can make things happen its you!

big geoff

Likes Dirt
dandenongs trails

the Yarra Ranges Mountainbikers group is a trail advocacy club that seems to be having some success in getting trails legalized in sylvan/olinda. Check them out i think they have some momentum at present