The dedicated WOODEND Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
All things Woodend including trail conditions, changes, feedback, organised rides and general information.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Great idea JD!

However, may I suggest you edit the title to dedicated, rather than decicated?

To kick things off, had a great ride out there yesterday, cut ridiculously short by my stupidity (refer to the Confessions of Fuckwits thread for details).

I was very annoyed while pushing back to the car (see fuckwittery) to see a couple of unregistered motos with race plates on the front on the main MTB loop trails near Burnt Mill road. Snapped a pic with my phone, but not much good as no rego plates.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
what a goose- all done

Oh and stopped at the Service station on the way out and got the best home-made pie from the cafe.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode a few of the trails there last week and stayed at the Black Forest Motel in Macedon.

Only a few ks from the trails and they supply an awesome cook your own breakfast of eggs, bacon, cereal, fruit etc (as much as you want...).
They were happy for us to use their hose to wash bikes and leave them in the room O/N.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Can someone list a basic list of tracks and descriptions?

I've only hit wombat track but have heard of a few others around - google is useless for bike trails.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Can someone list a basic list of tracks and descriptions?

I've only hit wombat track but have heard of a few others around - google is useless for bike trails.
I think the main Wombat tracks are the only official trails, suitable for public forums.

But if ride out there at the moment, just follow the pink ribbons marking the Wombat 100 race route and you will find some of the lesser known trails. You may also get lost, as not every turn is clear.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the main Wombat tracks are the only official trails, suitable for public forums.

But if ride out there at the moment, just follow the pink ribbons marking the Wombat 100 race route and you will find some of the lesser known trails. You may also get lost, as not every turn is clear.
My mate had all the Wombat 100 loaded on his garmin but I found following the tape quicker than stoping to check the GPS which struggled a bit in the trees.
While following the trail was easy enough I would not have been able to find my way back to the car....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Loops 1 and 2 are sign posted and really easy to follow, I would suggest that if you are new to the area - stick to those two loops.

You might get lost following the pink ribbons

MJG

Likes Dirt
Loops 1 and 2 are sign posted and really easy to follow, I would suggest that if you are new to the area - stick to those two loops.

You might get lost following the pink ribbons
Especially since some zealot thinks it's either fun or they're doing everyone a clean-up-Australia favour by removing the pink flagging tape from several sections of the course. Most entries into the singletrack off the fire roads aren't obviously marked to reduce the motorbike damage, but the pink tape starts up again once you're out of sight from the roads.

After this weekend there will be a lot more signage, and pink tape, going up.

..and to appease the aforementioned zealots, we'll have all the ribbons and signage down (and the LITERALLY hundreds of discarded gel wrappers picked up, riding sweep behind the last riders in 2013 I got around 75 in the first 50 km alone) by the end of April, if not by the end of Easter.

IMPORTANT - The Wombat Track will be closed to non-race riding on Sunday 13 April. There will be large numbers of people going counter to normal riding direction along at least 3 parts of the track, on both loop 1 and loop 2.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Especially since some zealot thinks it's either fun or they're doing everyone a clean-up-Australia favour by removing the pink flagging tape from several sections of the course. Most entries into the singletrack off the fire roads aren't obviously marked to reduce the motorbike damage, but the pink tape starts up again once you're out of sight from the roads.

After this weekend there will be a lot more signage, and pink tape, going up.

..and to appease the aforementioned zealots, we'll have all the ribbons and signage down (and the LITERALLY hundreds of discarded gel wrappers picked up, riding sweep behind the last riders in 2013 I got around 75 in the first 50 km alone) by the end of April, if not by the end of Easter.

IMPORTANT - The Wombat Track will be closed to non-race riding on Sunday 13 April. There will be large numbers of people going counter to normal riding direction along at least 3 parts of the track, on both loop 1 and loop 2.
I've seen people whining about, and claiming to have removed pink tape on a bushwalking forum. It wasn't any particular area they were talking about, just a general thing.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I've seen people whining about, and claiming to have removed pink tape on a bushwalking forum. It wasn't any particular area they were talking about, just a general thing.
If we were using the bush walking tracks they made (0km)and littering their trail, they would have something to whine about. Tell them to mind their own business or make their own tracks. While they're out there, ask them to pick up the VB and Jim beam cans and shot gun cartridges from the motor and campers.

As MJG said, the pink tape will be gone after the race.

TKITEZ

Likes Bikes
is anyone from around the northern suburbs at all?

i'm license-less for the next couple of months :yuck: and hoping to get out to woodend trails one weekend soon,
with the mrs work schedule (and not really keen on waiting in the car while i go explorationing around...) if any one is heading out there and keen for a ride able to let me hitch a ride?

i can pay you in either beer, coffee, cash or 26" tubes ? :thumb: lol maybe a combination of all?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
If we were using the bush walking tracks they made (0km)and littering their trail, they would have something to whine about. Tell them to mind their own business or make their own tracks. While they're out there, ask them to pick up the VB and Jim beam cans and shot gun cartridges from the motor and campers.

As MJG said, the pink tape will be gone after the race.

Yeah, I know that. I just thought I would suggest who might do that. I don't post there , it's just something I read one day.

I think it was bushwalkingaustralia, but it was some time ago, and I read a lot of shit on the net.

onlock

Likes Bikes
Rode here for the first time on Saturday. Me, a mate and my missus set out to ride trails 1 and 2. Awesome tracks, I loved it, rough, rugged and a little bit of loose stuff to keep you thinking. The climb up to corner track? was abit hard on our unfit bodies but once we made the top it was smooth sailing from there. After getting back onto track 1 for the last 7kms. Things started to go downhill for my misses. She quickly found herself out of her depth on the steep rough hills and walking a fair bit of the way. Not quite what we were expecting for blue square trails but I'm not complaining. Had an absolute ball. Riding through those gullies was awesome. My mate managed to get through it on his 15yr old huffy and can't wait to go back with a real bike lol. Good luck to anyone planning on racing out there, gonna be a long 100kms

tektek

Likes Dirt
You can actually catch the VLINE (~$14 return) and ride from Woodend station (about 10kms)..took me about 2 hrs one way. Ride down Ashbourne rd and then turn left onto Slatey Creed Road and you will hit the triangle.

is anyone from around the northern suburbs at all?

i'm license-less for the next couple of months :yuck: and hoping to get out to woodend trails one weekend soon,
with the mrs work schedule (and not really keen on waiting in the car while i go explorationing around...) if any one is heading out there and keen for a ride able to let me hitch a ride?

i can pay you in either beer, coffee, cash or 26" tubes ? :thumb: lol maybe a combination of all?

TKITEZ

Likes Bikes
You can actually catch the VLINE (~$14 return) and ride from Woodend station (about 10kms)..took me about 2 hrs one way. Ride down Ashbourne rd and then turn left onto Slatey Creed Road and you will hit the triangle.
:thumb: cheers! too easy

MJG

Likes Dirt
Wombat Track closure Sun 13 April 2014

Just another reminder that the Wombat Track will be closed to non-race riding this Sunday 13 April.

There will be large numbers of people going counter to normal riding direction along at least 3 parts of the track, on both loop 1 and loop 2.

Back to business as usual on Mon 14 April.

MJG

Likes Dirt
The signs, arrows and pink tape are down from most of the Wombat 100 course.

Track conditions are very good, very few if any puddles at all.

One tree down on the northernmost section from Boldiston Rd to Taylor Rd. We'll clear that up soon. If someone else gets to it first, please let us know here or via the FB page.

Working bees will be starting up again very soon. Stay tuned...

Last edited: