The Designers' Corner

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I thought it'd be cool to have a design thread, bringing together all of the knowledge of the Rotorburn Community. I'm currently studying Industrial Design at UTS and I know there are a couple our Industrial Designers in here, as well as Architects, Graphic Designers etc.

So this is a place to share ideas, ask for help, share some cool things you find.

I'll kick start it.

I'm currently making a completely recycled Home Audio System, I'm calling it Pods.

I've ripped apart some old light tracking systems and using the old housing to place some speakers torn out of old audio systems. Will be running through an old amp I have at home.

Some pictures and how it's coming along.

Image009.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image008.jpg

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
can't say I know too much about what you're doing, so I'll opt out. Does look pretty sweet though, creative etc etc.

I do a bit of web design stuff, trying to get decent portfolio of stuff going so I can get a good level of work going. If you were looking for a site to be done, and you come across this:

What's it say to you? What impression does it make? I'm fearing it might come across as too immature....

Constructive crits would be very much appreciated guys.

'Ross

Eats Squid
What's it say to you? What impression does it make? I'm fearing it might come across as too immature....

First Impression is colours are too harsh for me, turning down the blue a bit would help.

Have you tried using a shadow or outline (think stroke is the word designers like to use) to separate the 'Ryan Kennedy' from the yellow? Just seems to be some funny contrast going on there, but I think the strong background contributes to that as well.

This thread has some potential as well.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Looks a lot like the student SMH card, or whatever it is.

I think maybe tone down the colours a little bit, less contrasting. Also, the black line under the contact looks to big. Maybe make that smaller. And ditch the Born 2010. First impression was, jeez, he's young.

Hmmmm Im interested in the acoustics of those lights :confused:
EDIT: woops, forgot I quoted this. They're a bit tinny but I'm tone deff so I'm not much of a fan, mainly just going to be used to play mp3's out of and an aesthetics project for the holiday.

Last edited:

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Looks a lot like the student SMH card, or whatever it is.

I think maybe tone down the colours a little bit, less contrasting. Also, the black line under the contact looks to big. Maybe make that smaller. And ditch the Born 2010. First impression was, jeez, he's young.
Yep deff ditch the Born 2010. I had the exact same thought. I soon realised the site was born 2010 which in itself I think is also bad, as it says you have just started out, people like experience. If they don’t ask then you don’t need to tell them you just started. Colours are very harsh, but if your a young guy and looking into appealing to a younger demographic then they would suit.

Loving those pods. Are you planning to re mount them on the track?

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Loving those pods. Are you planning to re mount them on the track?
Yeah, that's exactly the plan, but I have some sub woofers mounted on their own plywood base which could be either mounted to the wall or placed on a desk. Will get some more photos this arvo with all the woofers, tweeters and stuff.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, that's exactly the plan, but I have some sub woofers mounted on their own plywood base which could be either mounted to the wall or placed on a desk. Will get some more photos this arvo with all the woofers, tweeters and stuff.
I have a few good friends doing industrial 3rd year at UTS, awesome course, what year are you in?

Im doing architecture at USYD, currently nothing to show... ill see if i can find something to post up but its not as cool as your pods!!

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
I have a few good friends doing industrial 3rd year at UTS, awesome course, what year are you in?

Im doing architecture at USYD, currently nothing to show... ill see if i can find something to post up but its not as cool as your pods!!
Just finished First Year, hopefully not going to fail anything... But there's is always that possibility. Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff man.

EDIT: New photo.

Need to work out how to seal the little sub woofer

Last edited:

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Alright, cheers for the feedback. The black bar under contact is actually some javascript stuff, it follows the mouse when hovering, made it a bit bigger to kinda suit the theme.

I'll agree on trying to target younger people (and I only just turned 17, so I also tried to reflect a part of myself onto the design) , but then again it's a tad stupid for what I'm doing. Not too many young people own their own business.

I reckon I'll do a stack more, make them much more muted and toned down. Feedback was much appreciated!

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Just finished First Year, hopefully not going to fail anything... But there's is always that possibility. Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff man.

EDIT: New photo.

Need to work out how to seal the little sub woofer
Digging these! Whats the chance of chucking some LED's in there? Actually making them a lamp as well?

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Digging these! Whats the chance of chucking some LED's in there? Actually making them a lamp as well?
It's likely, but the way the speakers are power would very much limit it. Unless the LEDs flash to the frequency/ voltage from the sound. Which could be really cool.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Very very recent grad from ides. Did some freelance design stuff (pretty uninspiring stuff at that) during uni. Just landed a job in a sydney agency - new product development and brand management. Couldn't have it better. Will post up some shit when i've got a sec.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got bored at work so started practising illustrator. What do you rekon? not sure about the "tyre marks" looks like a bear attacked it haha

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I want to see Jamsta's work for one, or some of Mamma's.

I'm doing my honours @ Graphic design come 2011, working on a new folio site, just can't get anything I like that really suits me that might appeal to clientel/studios. That and my style isn't pop cliche and varies quiet abit, lecturers always get a surprise!

Nearly all the below contain a huge amount of other stuff attached, eg full marketing kits or corporate stuff.

edit: the neater way instead of a million links:

www.fearlesscycles.com.au/DG_page.pdf

and one of my favourites, a week to make some signage, so I did a prision, and used photos of the new high school.

inside
outside map
entry sign

just realised I've got next to none of the actual finished work put up, only early stages..

edit: community program that was about rebuilding a community's values and stepping out of poverty.

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want to see Jamsta's work for one, or some of Mamma's.

I'm doing my honours @ Graphic design come 2011, working on a new folio site, just can't get anything I like that really suits me that might appeal to clientel/studios. That and my style isn't pop cliche and varies quiet abit, lecturers always get a surprise!

Nearly all the below contain a huge amount of other stuff attached, eg full marketing kits or corporate stuff.
I like the correctional centre stuff, very professional.
Out of curiosity, when your doing a logo will you pretty much lock in one font and just play around with the "image thing" in different locations and colours?
Its always so hard to decide on a font! Do you make/manipulate them in illustrator or just get them off the net ussually?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I like the correctional centre stuff, very professional.
Out of curiosity, when your doing a logo will you pretty much lock in one font and just play around with the "image thing" in different locations and colours?
Its always so hard to decide on a font! Do you make/manipulate them in illustrator or just get them off the net ussually?
Sometimes I will choose a font for a basis and adjust leading/kerning etc or convert it to an outline and tweak the font as I feel necessary. Also will hand draw custom font, scan then build in illustrator. I do that for mostly show style fonts that are just as much an image as they are font though.

I normally have the colour scheme pretty sorted before playing with image part of the logo, are you splitting the logo into a text only and image only that can be joined? or will they always be together?

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Not going to lie Seth, that correction center stuff has a lot going on! Weird mix of geometric and slightly skewed shapes...