The Downhill Fork Round Up

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
anyone know the ride height for the old breakout plus fork with 1.5" 5-7" adjustable travel? or the new travic single crowns or the 05 888's in general roughly? need something around probably 560mm high, any ideas?

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone know the ride height for the old breakout plus fork with 1.5" 5-7" adjustable travel? or the new travic single crowns or the 05 888's in general roughly? need something around probably 560mm high, any ideas?
888 (2005) en 200mm, 605mm
888 (2005) en 170mm, 575mm
Sherman Breakout Plus: 512/552mm

Dug

Likes Dirt
Great Work

All the info in one place
Thanks for taking the time
Out Farkin Standing

Still if you got the bucks 40Rc2 Fox
JMO

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Can this thread be updated please. Anyone with 2011 or newer forks, please post the AC height in it's lowest possible position, and any other info you're sure of.
I'm actually looking for AC height of 35mm Boxxers, and 07 888s. Also center of axle to top of lower of 07 66s if anyone has some they can measure(please PM me also).

No Skid Marks

Marzocchi 888 EVO Ti 2012 Claimed weight
3269g

Fox 40 2012 claimed weight

3090g
Weight taken at 165mm steerer length with star fangled nut and disc brake guide installed.

Rockshox Boxxer World Cup(Air) claimed weight
2689g

Manitou Dorrado Carbon uncertain weight
2812g
Dorrado Aluminum uncertain weight
2971g

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2010 Boxxers are 568mm A to C. Id imagine the new ones are the same as its only internals that have changed.
Weight is 2745g for WC's.

Are you looking at new forks Rod? Im going to be parting my 224 out.. It has some 2010 Boxxer WC's with Elka cartridge if your after that sort of thing. Also got the standard damper cartridge but its nowhere near as good as the Elka. Cartridge brings up to similar as standard Fox40's but you have bonus of air adjustment and less weight.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Not really, just curious and think this is a handy thread to keep updated.
I have 888EVOs with Avalanche kit. I doubt anything is better, but it's a hassle to tune having to play with so many shim stacks, and the whole reason I wanted 888s over Boxxers or 40s was so I didn't have to pull them down as often, but I'm probably stripping my 888s as often as I would Boxxers. It is fun and interesting seeing the effects, but when you just want to set and forget and ride it's a PITA.
Anyone can make me a huge offer on my 888Avys if they're keen for infinitely tunable forks.

No Skid Marks

New Dorrados.
Pro 2973grams
Expert 3096g
Internally adjustable travel for 29er freaks or 27" Guinea pigs.

DVOs out soon. Will be good to see if they keep them around the 3kg mark.

Boss specs anyone?

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Bos Idylle Rare 2850grams according to Bos. 36mm stanchions. Also do a single crown version at 2800g I think, and a 34mm stanchions 140,160, or 170mm single crown at 2080grams. Pretty decent weights. Can't comment on performance, pretty keen to try the Bos, DVO and Dorado now. Mini review for any if you've ridden them please.

Last edited:
Hey is anyone able to tell me what the advantages/disadvantages are of having tripple clamp forks that extend up to the handle-bars?
I have a 2006 Giant Faith 1 and im looking at upgrading to the tripple clamp forks but im not really sure of what the advantage are, just thought i'd ask since they can be quite expensive.

Thanks, Declan

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
Hey is anyone able to tell me what the advantages/disadvantages are of having tripple clamp forks that extend up to the handle-bars?
The longer the travel of the fork, the longer the axle to crown length is. When your bike takes a hit the fork acts as a lever bending the base of the forks steerer tube, a longer lever (axle to crown) results in more force being applied to what it is acting on (the steerer) for a given amount of effort (the hit). With the longer travel forks extra strength is needed to avoid the steerer getting over stressed and snapping. The upper crown in a set of dual crown forks provides this extra strength and stiffness.

And they look totally badass.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
In addition to the above they also tend to have a lower axle to crown height compared to a single crown fork - for example Boxxers and Totems have the same axle to crown but Totem's have an inch less travel. Arguable they are also lighter than trying to do a single crown with as much travel and strength.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Giant Faith 1 and im looking at upgrading to the tripple clamp forks but im not really sure of what the advantage are, just thought i'd ask since they can be quite expensive.

Thanks, Declan
Don't bother mate, unless your current forks are stuffed. Even still, just get them serviced.
Assuming you have 66's? They are solid forks.
Spend your money on a decent birthday present for your mum instead.

To answer your question though, the only advantage you will potentially gain will depend on the quality of the forks you buy, irrespective of them being singles or triples.

A good single crown ie the RS Totem is just as competitive a fork as any triple clamp for serious downhill racing. Assuming you are an amateur rider and not a pro, why bother forking out (mind the pun) JUST so you can have triple clamps? Just enjoy riding what you've got.