The Duael 6hr Pairs Enduro

morgy

Likes Bikes
does anyone know if theres much climbing involved, how manys kms and the condition of the trails there

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ridden out there for a while. I recall dry and rocky...but there doesn't seem to be much of that at the moment. I'm looking forward to it no matter what. Always a good event with the Flat Hill guys.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
from what I understand is part of what was used in the clock2clock last Sunday and it is, as far as mountain bike races go, as good as flat. Not much rise or descent at all, mix of fire road and narrow, twisty singletrack in pine plantation with the usual mounds of dirt, roots, etc.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Being a local and ridden the course a few times, it's "flat" and they are really good tracks. Most of this track was ridden in the Clock2Clock race on the weekend. I was the marshall with my 5yo son when you came out of the native bush track, left onto the road for 50m and then right into the pines and these are the same tracks you'll be riding this race.

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
Being a local and ridden the course a few times, it's "flat" and they are really good tracks. Most of this track was ridden in the Clock2Clock race on the weekend. I was the marshall with my 5yo son when you came out of the native bush track, left onto the road for 50m and then right into the pines and these are the same tracks you'll be riding this race.
Fergo was at the beginning of the pines section about 500 m after the pallets that were ridden over to bypass the big puddle/mudpit, which itself was just after the ride beside the old 4-lane highway.

Compared with almost everything else out this way, the Duael course is genuinely quite flat. The biggest hill to climb might be about 10 m elevation gain. My 1:25k topo maps show the highest point to be about 610 m elevation, lowest point perhaps 585 m.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
I went and rode the course today. It's shit-hot.

In the last few days I've taken two different MTBers through the moto dash/lowside/highside trails. They've BOTH said "can we do it again" after finishing a run through. Enough said!

morgy

Likes Bikes
I went and rode the course today. It's shit-hot.

In the last few days I've taken two different MTBers through the moto dash/lowside/highside trails. They've BOTH said "can we do it again" after finishing a run through. Enough said!
well thats good enough for me im pumped cant wait

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
This link is to my Garmin file and has the whole track on it. I rode to and from Woodend so you need to tale that bit out. See lap 2 for stats.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73622071

It feels flat but its not. Its 6.9km long and will be closer to 7 for the race Im going to suggest to Bruce that we chuck in some FR diversions for passing. There is 125 vertical meters per lap and a very slow lap will be 30min. The big boys will be chucking 15-17min laps. I built this track with fun in mind and the faster you go the harder it gets in both fitness and technically.

Im trying to water proof this track and even if it rains a lot before hand after 24 hours it should bar 2 sections by basically dry. The plan is to have somewhere during winter that can be ridden in all but the worst conditions.

Last edited:

Smacko

Squid
I'd be hitting them up for a % of the entry fee......after this Sunday every man and his dog will be wanting to ride and race it. Nothing bad about that, but credit where it's due to the Wombat Boys for their hard work in developing what I would rate as my favourite trail in the region........ Fast, flowy, and if my memory serves me well a section of long gradual down hill with some great rises and jumps.
Lately I've heard talk of how good it would be to have an official trail cut in from the Woodend Town Centre out to the Wombat trail head. Maybe a % of race fee could assist with this?
Unfortunately I didn't compete, but apparently the Clock to Clock's big advantage was it's start / finish line, being in the town centre, meant all local amenities (including pubs) where available to the riders and support crews. This provides an obvious cash injection for local business. With a linking trail more Clock to Clock style races could be run..... support your local businesses and bike shops through these events and the local council will catch on and support also.
My two bobs worth.

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
I'd be hitting them up for a % of the entry fee......after this Sunday every man and his dog will be wanting to ride and race it. Nothing bad about that, but credit where it's due to the Wombat Boys for their hard work in developing what I would rate as my favourite trail in the region........ Fast, flowy, and if my memory serves me well a section of long gradual down hill with some great rises and jumps.
<snip>
My two bobs worth.
I met Sidetrack [(one of?) the bloke/s who made the track] on Sunday morning and he said that is indeed the case, the Wombat Club will be getting a cut of the entry fee. So there goes the high-moral-ground excuse not to enter.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
There is no excuse for failing to enter. Let's do the math:

1. The trails are utterly superb and one of the most fun rides in the west;
2. You get to play chasey with one of your mates for an entire day;
3. You're very very close to one of the very nicest towns within an hour of Melbourne; and
4. After the race you can drink up large at the Holgate Brewery from their very nice selection of award winning beers.

Anybody wanna argue?

(Thought not)

Last edited:

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5. Vanilla Slice at the bakery is also award winning
6. Ride elbow to elbow with a Tour de France finisher that is pretty handy on a mtb

Smacko

Squid
MJB - Who said I wasn't going to enter? Just stirring the pot and making sure credit is given where it's due. Love and kisses, fellow Sat morning rider.

Last edited: