The eeb quick or stupid questions thread.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Anyone masters on bosch purion controller, specifically any issues with the power button? Was changing the the brake / gear setup on the missus bike and suddenly the power button stopped working on the controller. I could get it running by plugging the charger in but in that state it wouldn't turn off so it is limited to the power button. We worked around it by putting the bike on charger, taking it off and quickly chucking the bike on the rack and driving to the MTB track (thankfully under the time out period that will turn the bike off). After the ride - tested the button again and it still didn't work but when I got it home it magically started working again. Still working this morning, but I REALLY don't want it to stop working for the missus mid ride in the future as that will cause issues etc. and any lack of confidence in the bike will effect her quite a bit.

Turns out I should also be able to do it via the battery power button but I couldn't find it. It's covered and only has a little hole to poke something through and press it - I haven't tested this tho.

TLDR any know issues with these? Or a plan of attack to fix? Next chance I get I'll take into the LBS but if there is an easy fix I'd love to know i.e. "Oh yeah Dougal, the 'ol purion power button issues, stand on one leg and hit the plus sign 8 times, fixes it every time"

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Open it up and have a look whats going on. If its the little dimple that depresses, that is starting to go, you'll have to buy a new controller.

I have already experienced replacing ebike parts on the missus bike after she went OTB, new screen, new controller and new speed cable... they are bloody expensive.

cammas

Seamstress
Anyone masters on bosch purion controller, specifically any issues with the power button? Was changing the the brake / gear setup on the missus bike and suddenly the power button stopped working on the controller. I could get it running by plugging the charger in but in that state it wouldn't turn off so it is limited to the power button. We worked around it by putting the bike on charger, taking it off and quickly chucking the bike on the rack and driving to the MTB track (thankfully under the time out period that will turn the bike off). After the ride - tested the button again and it still didn't work but when I got it home it magically started working again. Still working this morning, but I REALLY don't want it to stop working for the missus mid ride in the future as that will cause issues etc. and any lack of confidence in the bike will effect her quite a bit.

Turns out I should also be able to do it via the battery power button but I couldn't find it. It's covered and only has a little hole to poke something through and press it - I haven't tested this tho.

TLDR any know issues with these? Or a plan of attack to fix? Next chance I get I'll take into the LBS but if there is an easy fix I'd love to know i.e. "Oh yeah Dougal, the 'ol purion power button issues, stand on one leg and hit the plus sign 8 times, fixes it every time"
Spin the rear wheel backwards three times, this works for the Fazua motors only know this after watching a review of the Orbea Rise and his power switch failed.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Spin the rear wheel backwards three times, this works for the Fazua motors only know this after watching a review of the Orbea Rise and his power switch failed.
I was only (half) joking on the weird fix :D Anyway I didn't fine access to the power button on the Battery and it did indeed turn on the bike. Issue hasn't reoccurred, I'll still take into the LBS so they can check error codes etc, but hopefully it was just a glitch in the system

PiE

Likes Bikes
Been out of the game for a while, looking at an ebike to get back amongst it.

Have locked in a new 2022 Orbea Wild H30 for AUD$6000 - should I go it?

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

These review really well if you're after an enduro bike. Spec on the H30 isn't great but upgradeable

Reactions: PiE

ozzybmx

The Bosch CX is a solid motor, 500wh battery might be a bit small for bigger rides.
Usually I'm home with over 50% on rides, some times only using 25% for a quick 20-25km ride with 400m. The Melrose Epic uses 75% for 40km and 1500m climbing. 750wh battery is plenty for what I do on it.

PiE

Likes Bikes
Yea the battery is what's putting me off slightly. Having said that, I'm not a big fella (75kg) so the motor wouldn't be hauling much.

The other option would be to wait for a Norco Sight A2 with battery to go on sale for $5500-6000...

ozzybmx

Yea the battery is what's putting me off slightly. Having said that, I'm not a big fella (75kg) so the motor wouldn't be hauling much.

The other option would be to wait for a Norco Sight A2 with battery to go on sale for $5500-6000...
Over The Edge in Melrose has 2 of the black/gold 2023 models as rentals, I have rode numerous times with people riding these rental bikes. They are definitely slower than the bikes with bigger capacity as people are holding back due to the smaller battery but they arrive back after a 40km epic with something left.

Decent bikes but dont be afraid to go a longer travel bike, even heavier. Its an ebike, you can run DH tyres and the confidence the bike will give you with grip and travel is through the roof, climbing... you'll still climb quicker than the fastest XC rider you know.

Dont mess around with weight, go full gas and you'll love it. I have a 3kg DH fork on mine now and wouldn't change it for the world, 170mm rear, 203mm front.

N370TTCC-V5-SIDE-RISE_H30_1 (1).jpg

PiE

Likes Bikes
Over The Edge in Melrose has 2 of the black/gold 2023 models as rentals, I have rode numerous times with people riding these rental bikes. They are definitely slower than the bikes with bigger capacity as people are holding back due to the smaller battery but they arrive back after a 40km epic with something left.

Decent bikes but dont be afraid to go a longer travel bike, even heavier. Its an ebike, you can run DH tyres and the confidence the bike will give you with grip and travel is through the roof, climbing... you'll still climb quicker than the fastest XC rider you know.

Dont mess around with weight, go full gas and you'll love it. I have a 3kg DH fork on mine now and wouldn't change it for the world, 170mm rear, 203mm front.

View attachment 405292
Thanks mate. That bike is a 2023 Rise isn't it? Bit lighter than the Wild from what I've read.

So you'd recommend the Norco Sight over this, if they were similar prices?

ozzybmx

Thanks mate. That bike is a 2023 Rise isn't it? Bit lighter than the Wild from what I've read.

So you'd recommend the Norco Sight over this, if they were similar prices?
Ah my mistake, it was the first on the Orbea showed me. Its got a 540wh battery and Shimano motor.

Honestly of you can crack out a 25km ride now, you'll be doing bigger ones soon.

I would go a Sight or Range with the 720wh battery... personally the Range if you could get it at a decent price.

PiE

Likes Bikes
Cheers mate, I'll keep an eye out for some Norco sales in the meantime. Still hoping they drop to under 6000...

bobob

Has $20

View attachment 405292
Yer I dunno, a group of 5 ebb riders, came up on a guy on stubs climb in cleland sa.. just after the koala park before the turn up, or the turn down to waterfall gully. We stopped to see if ole mate was good.. he was just adjusting a cleat. He caught us by the next fireroad. And we were braking into the corners on the climb... GL being faster... More fun yer

mark22

Likes Dirt

Geo on the 2022 bikes is not up with the new Wild 2023, was looking at the 2023 myself and had a quick spin on one and it felt OK a bit heavier than I expected. but got hold of another brand of bike which was my first preference.

ozzybmx

Yer I dunno, a group of 5 ebb riders, came up on a guy on stubs climb in cleland sa.. just after the koala park before the turn up, or the turn down to waterfall gully. We stopped to see if ole mate was good.. he was just adjusting a cleat. He caught us by the next fireroad. And we were braking into the corners on the climb... GL being faster... More fun yer
Steubs track, I can bet you a house right now I can beat any bloke up the Steubs on my E-bike than they can go on a normal bike.

Dollars are there... make the time and place.

bobob

Has $20
Steubs track, I can bet you a house right now I can beat any bloke up the Steubs on my E-bike than they can go on a normal bike.

Dollars are there... make the time and place.

We stopped for a few mins, then set off with a headstart, he mowed us down. He said his name was Cam, a nice enough guy. You might need to ask him for the time and place, and bring the keys to hand over..... :D

Jpez

Down on the left!
I don’t normally drop in here. In fact I can count on one hand with 4 and 3/4 fingers the amount of times. But meh I’m bored.
I must say I’m super confused. Just read the last page or two and I’m confused.
@ozzybmx isn’t it your sworn and solemn duty as a card carrying eebangeliser to defend to the death the notion that riding eebs gives you just as much of a work out, nay more once you lift the monster on and off the racks, as a meat powered bicycle? Yes. I’m being a facetious twat.;)
but it is nice to hear someone not trying to push that party line.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
We stopped for a few mins, then set off with a headstart, he mowed us down. He said his name was Cam, a nice enough guy. You might need to ask him for the time and place, and bring the keys to hand over..... :D
He must be quick. I did the Quad Crown here in Tassie and there was a guy on a full powered Levo and he was 8th overall on the shorter courses (10km and 40km), but dropped back to 19th on the 60km. It depends on how much flat stuff there is. The top XC guys will smoke a standard restricted Eeeb on the flat going. If it were just a climb, sure the Eeeb would have it, I'm sure.