The Effects of Cycling Infrastructure upon Cyclists and their Interaction / Behaviour

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Thesis Topic: The Effects of Cycling Infrastructure upon Cyclists and their Interaction / Behaviour with Vehicular Traffic.

RE: Information Sourcing

Hi All,

I finish my Civil/Structural Engineering degree in June. Unfortunately, I have a thesis topic and advanced geotechnical structures to go (advanced geo is easy).

What I hate with a passion is a non-defined scope, and because i would rather be riding than working on thesis, there has not been much development on this. Luckily there is a topic that I can feign interest in and that is the Topic listed above (although it really has nothing to do with what i have majored in but was not allowed to use the dual velocity stacks (air intake trumpets) that i had previously designed and brought to production (and sold), nor to design a dual suspension bike frame (as that would be mechanical... retarded civil lecturers). On a side note, I will be designing and building an all-mtn bike and have the first prototype by the end of the year (more for fun than anything). I really should have done mechanical engineering (as that is what excites me) but the work available for civil/struc is so much greater.

Back on Topic.

In short, it is basically going through a bunch of footage of road riding in different countries as well as filming and reviewing footage of my commuting throughout Brisbane. From that, conclusions can be drawn as to the effect of the local infrastructure has upon cyclists and their surrounding traffic (both bike paths and roads with other cyclists/pedestrians/vehicular traffic). I might also look at the difference between how a motorcyclist and cyclist can interact with the surrounding traffic (use of wide lanes to filter).

It will be looking at anything from, cyclist speeds, cycle path lane widths, designated cycle paths, shared roads, vehicle specific roads (no bike lanes or shoulders), etc.

Does anyone know, or have completed research on anything similar; something that could give some direction/expansion; things that can be cited, journals, studies, papers, conference proceedings, etc? I'm not particularly interested in News Papers as I want factual, unbiased findings and not some wishy washy spin.

I have only recently been commuting, and am not a 'roadie' (DH and GE is where its at); so am not used to looking for this sort of information.

Anything that you can provide will be gratefully appreciated, even a point to the right location would be awesome (I have never really looked into traffic design much... Structural Engineering is lucky enough to skip over this).

Regards

James

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Thesis Topic: The Effects of Cycling Infrastructure upon Cyclists and their Interaction / Behaviour with Vehicular Traffic.

RE: Information Sourcing

Hi All,

I finish my Civil/Structural Engineering degree in June. Unfortunately, I have a thesis topic and advanced geotechnical structures to go (advanced geo is easy).

What I hate with a passion is a non-defined scope, and because i would rather be riding than working on thesis, there has not been much development on this. Luckily there is a topic that I can feign interest in and that is the Topic listed above (although it really has nothing to do with what i have majored in but was not allowed to use the dual velocity stacks (air intake trumpets) that i had previously designed and brought to production (and sold), nor to design a dual suspension bike frame (as that would be mechanical... retarded civil lecturers). On a side note, I will be designing and building an all-mtn bike and have the first prototype by the end of the year (more for fun than anything). I really should have done mechanical engineering (as that is what excites me) but the work available for civil/struc is so much greater.

Back on Topic.

In short, it is basically going through a bunch of footage of road riding in different countries as well as filming and reviewing footage of my commuting throughout Brisbane. From that, conclusions can be drawn as to the effect of the local infrastructure has upon cyclists and their surrounding traffic (both bike paths and roads with other cyclists/pedestrians/vehicular traffic). I might also look at the difference between how a motorcyclist and cyclist can interact with the surrounding traffic (use of wide lanes to filter).

It will be looking at anything from, cyclist speeds, cycle path lane widths, designated cycle paths, shared roads, vehicle specific roads (no bike lanes or shoulders), etc.

Does anyone know, or have completed research on anything similar; something that could give some direction/expansion; things that can be cited, journals, studies, papers, conference proceedings, etc? I'm not particularly interested in News Papers as I want factual, unbiased findings and not some wishy washy spin.

I have only recently been commuting, and am not a 'roadie' (DH and GE is where its at); so am not used to looking for this sort of information.

Anything that you can provide will be gratefully appreciated, even a point to the right location would be awesome (I have never really looked into traffic design much... Structural Engineering is lucky enough to skip over this).

Regards

James

I can't help directly, but if you jump across to the Bike Network Australia forums there are quite a few users there who would be able to help no doubt.. Aushiker, citywomble and il padrino come to mind as some who may be of particular use to you as all are bike commuters who also have a particular interest in these sort of topics (or at least appear to lol)..

Dave

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I can't help directly, but if you jump across to the Bike Network Australia forums there are quite a few users there who would be able to help no doubt.. Aushiker, citywomble and il padrino come to mind as some who may be of particular use to you as all are bike commuters who also have a particular interest in these sort of topics (or at least appear to lol)..

Dave
Thanks, Jumped on there and having a look; it appears to be very informative (and will help narrow the scope as to what I am looking at).

To everyone else, Im not so much after accidents with other vehicles (and trying to work out who is at fault, Im not a lawyer.. yet) but observations on the behavioral effects of the infrastructure.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look at this guy's work.

http://www.johnforester.com

He is an American traffic engineer & academic who has put a lot of thought into what you are looking at.

Of course, in the wake of the previous few weeks on Aus roads there has been a lot of talk of segregating traffic & I don't think this is the way to go. He is one of the few who agree.

Might be of some use.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Interesting topic which has the potential to make positive changes.
I think most people who commute or road ride daily have strong opinions on what cycle infrastructure works and what poses a greater threat than nothing at all.
It may help to spend a few months commuting or joining the dark side to get some informed first hand opinions of your own.
Otherwise your interesting study may always be in the third person.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I do commute each day... 30km (all up with the extra parts thrown in on the way home). But i am not a roadie.. mtb gear, 510's with flats...

im on a mutant Apollo Matterhorn with 2.1 slicks, 21 spd, up-side down DH bars (to act like drop bars), full rigid (weighs a ton but great for exercise) which has been refurbed to working order (read replaced bearings and outers) and did i mention ancient... perfect commuter that allows for shortcuts (that no one will want to steal, yet i can average 34kph on it).

Only difference will be that i now ride with a go pro to film the effects.

Would still prefer to design and build GE frame though. lol