1. Welcome!
    You might have noticed things are a little different. The very, very short of it is we've moved to a new forum platform, XenForo. Head here for the slightly longer version.
    Dismiss Notice

The election thread - Hard hats Vs. top hats, how are you going to vote?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by johnny, Sep 8, 2004.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Liberals

99 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Labor

64 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Nationals

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  4. Greens

80 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Katter's Australian Party

11 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Independant

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Democratic Labor Party

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shooters and Fishers Party

37 vote(s)
    10.8%
  9. Family First/Christian Party

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Donkey vote

36 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Likes Dirt

I don't think I said it was "incorrect" evolutionary wise, more so not as "designed". Two diff things imo because
    humans came about as the most adaptable species so it's no surprise that it has happened. Whether it's "right" or "wrong" for us is yet to be known.. Humans attraction to nature, ie mountain bikers, isn't random.
    I remember learning in a landscape architecture lecture that public parks & gardens were created by the Roman empire for the sole purpose of calming a revolt by the lay people. By providing leisure and a natural landscape it created a sense of calm and distraction from how shit they were governing..

2. johnny

johnny I'll tells ya! Staff Member

If it happens then it is the natural way of things, the way things were 'designed'.

The evidence being that it happened.

3. Skydome

Skydome Likes Dirt

that may be true but it is also my understanding that they tax this heavily and put it into a national infrastructure fund which, IIRC is now worth around a trillion and Norway's government are looking at dropping oil and gas so they are at as much at the mercy to oil price fluctuations.

Norway, excluding China of course, is also pretty big in adopting electric cars but China from my understanding is currently the biggest EV market.

4. hifiandmtb

hifiandmtb Eats Squid

Oh good. They will one day stop being a major fossil fuel producer. Well done to them.

The atmosphere doesn’t care about good intentions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skydome

Skydome Likes Dirt

From searching it's apparently by parliament now to approve it.

Never the less at least Norway taxes it heavily, from reading it attracts a standard 21 percent tax and another special tax of 51 percent or something and that money goes into a fund.

whereas we just let the companies tear it out of the ground cheaply and they don't even pay that much tax if any to do it, so in that respect Norway is still waaaaaaay ahead of us.

John U likes this.
  6. hifiandmtb

hifiandmtb Eats Squid

Oh don’t get me wrong, Straya sucks balls when it comes to impact per capita to the environment.

But Norway is very clever in marketing themselves - they have done extraordinarily well from polluting this planet & simultaneously being seen as a green entity. They are truly masterful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dales Cannon

Dales Cannon Likes Bikes and Dirt

Sustainability isnt about power it is about waste minimisation overall. Get tge simple shit right first.

8. Skydome

Skydome Likes Dirt

actually power is also another part of been sustainable along with not over doing your consumption on tree based shit which is why i mentioned going towards hemp paper to help ease deforestation.

The other is not fucking and multiplying like the plague and not taking up too much land because currently we're just spreading out and taken over what used to be good farming bush and forest land.

And of course the other big one is reducing wastage and making sure nothing or at least very very very little is wasted, because currently we waste a lot of food that could otherwise, if we gave a shit, be shipped off to Africa, I'm sure they'd be A-ok with food that was a bit old.

9. John U

John U MTB Precision

If the human race wants to survive it will need to overcome a lot of its instincts. Fucking (well, reproducing), fighting, and consuming, will all need to be minimised.

10. You do realise a container ship takes between 30 to 90 days to travel from Australia to Africa, not including additional transport logistics at both ends... how often do you eat second hand food up to 90 days old?

SOURCE: http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/Destinations/Africa.htm

11. Dales Cannon

Dales Cannon Likes Bikes and Dirt

I should have said not just about power and I was using the word waste in its broadest sense.

12. No, you are correct I completely agree that excess consumption and waste need to be drastically reduced I just can't comprehend how it could be remotely practical to send that waste to Africa as Skydome suggested... not even considering the amount of fuel burnt to achieve it. Kind of like the sentiment around electric cars... run from batteries of mined lithium with a finite lifespan... charged from outlets whose majority of power comes from coal.

13. pink poodle

pink poodle Clinically Inane

^ our desire to "help" often overrides common sense. When I was working in the save the world sector there was a few sizable disasters overseas (earthquakes and cyclones for example) and despite specifically asking for cash donations, which were tax deductible, we would be inundated with shit like "our hospital wants to give you guys a full hospital worth of linen...cool, how will we get that to Vanuatu? Could you just transfer us the cash please? My family can't live on good intentions Marge.

Ummmm...you do realise that we aren't spreading out right? Australia is all about denser living just now. Major cities clogging up and more and more apartments. Add to this a governemrmt bonner for centralisation and regional life is on the way out. Or about to swing back in again as people flee unrealistic prices.

Farm land (at least here in the heartland of coal) is being lost to mines or other valuable industry.

14. Skydome

Skydome Likes Dirt

there's this beautiful thing called air freight and a C-130 is a very versatile aircraft.
    Actually we are spreading out and it is having some devastating impacts on the ecosystem.

I'm sure by now we all heard about the koalas in vic stripping the trees because too many were getting cut down for houses and etc leaving too many koalas fighting over a small amount of trees that couldn't sustain them long all thanks to us spreading out and yes, the urbanized areas has spread out ALOT more now than it was even in the 90s due to unsustainable living.

If we want to keep fucking like rabbits whilst having a city life people are gonna have to get over the fact they'll be getting rammed into housing like they do in Hong Kong, we can't keep spreading residential areas further and further out and if people want a comfy half acre block they'll have to stop fucking so much.

15. johnny

johnny I'll tells ya! Staff Member

Flying by a herc would still take days (I’ve spent more hours in hercs that care to recall) and that would be a VERY expensive way to ferry small amounts of food.

Basically, 100% impractical. You’d need to find better logistical solution.

16. pink poodle

pink poodle Clinically Inane

Could we just make a real big food pipe? Once it is up to pressure and constantly being pushed in at our end it will just keep pooping it out at the other end...

17. To be fair you did say "shipped" but without getting hung up on semantics maybe it would be better for the larger supermarket chains to scrutinise their wastage data and identify areas where they can reduce the amount of product they order, I agree with your sentiment but I believe that issues like this need to be addressed at the corporate level as the impact individuals can have is minimal in comparison.

18. pharmaboy

pharmaboy Eats Squid

In the African nations you have to deal with corruption. A work colleague of mine worked on a project to get HIV medicines to Africa , tens of millions of dollars worth. The decision was made not to send money because money gets siphoned off too easily. As a result they direct shipped the medication instead from Australia.

2 weeks later, crates were in London instead of the destination. Onsold to some other govt, presumably heading to the west somewhere.

I don’t think you can underestimate the importance of general corruption when it comes to poverty

19. Freediver

Freediver Likes Dirt

Links please, not saying it didn't happen but would like more info.

20. pharmaboy

pharmaboy Eats Squid

Sorry, I doubt its a news item.